Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Reffing

• 30-04-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering does anyone know about how to get the qualifications to start reffing in the local schoolboys league etc. I looked at the Fai and it doesn't really explain to well what you do. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of reffing and just wondered if anyone on here knew anything or had any advice. :)

Any help appreciated

Peabutler

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

*Referee's a w*nker!"

Too early?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm a ref :) Well, it's a few years since I actually reffed in a match, but I'm qualified.

The FAI run courses, check out when they run them, should be on their site. When I did it it was a week long, couple of hours a night, then the exam at the end of it.

People from the local Ref Associations will be there, and they will get you started. You usually start off at the low end of the scale (U7s etc, small sided games), then work your way up (U12s-16s, 11-a-side matches).

Every so often you'll get an assessor at your matches, and every year you have to do a fitness test, and then do other exams for more qualifications to move up the scale.

If your good, you won't be long getting pushed up the ladder, I know a bloke in his mid 20s who's in his second season running the line in the LoI already. He was a Bohs fan and was told to stop attending games a couple of season before he started being even a lino.

The only thing you really need to watch out for when starting out are the over zealous parents on the sidelines, these are worse than any holigan in Millwall can ever be. That is not a joke.

And remember, when you do start, be assertive on the pitch, have confidence in your decisions, ESPECIALLY offside decisions, as you won't have a linesman, just a manager shouting "Howzee Ref!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Thanks Des.

Had a look at courses and they all were about a month ago in my area so it'll probably be autumn before more are announced. I'll look to get on one of them.

peabutler wrote: »
    Thanks Des.

Had a look at courses and they all were about a month ago in my area so it'll probably be autumn before more are announced. I'll look to get on one of them.
    Possibly late summer, for the new season.

Fair play to you by the way, new refs are always needed, sometimes it's not just the weather that causes matches to be called off.

It's the loneliest job on the planet too.

Ah Sure I still look forward to it, nice way to keep fit if im not playing and a few bob.

A question for you though more out of interest than anything. Did you go down the route of following the ball loosely or did you run the diagnol line ( designed for matches with linesmen) were basically you cover the side of the pitch were their is no linesman (if you get what I mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Des wrote: »
    The only thing you really need to watch out for when starting out are the over zealous parents on the sidelines, these are worse than any holigan in Millwall can ever be. That is not a joke.

And remember, when you do start, be assertive on the pitch, have confidence in your decisions, ESPECIALLY offside decisions, as you won't have a linesman, just a manager shouting "Howzee Ref!!"

That's what we were told as well the people who will give out most are pushy parents. The kids tend to be alright.

For the offside bit just stand by your word if they surround you stand by it. You will be grand.

And remember if they shout at you for 90 mins call you every name under the sun, they still pay you at the end of the match :D

peabutler wrote: »
    Ah Sure I still look forward to it, nice way to keep fit if im not playing and a few bob.

A question for you though more out of interest than anything. Did you go down the route of following the ball loosely or did you run the diagnol line ( designed for matches with linesmen) were basically you cover the side of the pitch were their is no linesman (if you get what I mean)

you can't do the diagonal thing really, I used to run in the direction the ball was going, but in the opposite direction across the pitch, you need to learn to run backwards :) Does that make sense?

Oh, you give flags to someone on each side of the pitch, generally the oppo manager. If there's a tight call and he gives it to his team, you should award the throw the other way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just finished doing our course today in Waterford. Signing up next week to take the refereeing further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm a ref :)Well, it's a few years since I actually reffed in a match, but I'm qualified.

The FAI run courses, check out when they run them, should be on their site. When I did it it was a week long, couple of hours a night, then the exam at the end of it.............

Not true!

Thanls for the help lads.

Going to get in touch with the Local Refs Soceity soon see if they have any ideas about the dates for the next course.

Peabutler

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I know a bloke in his mid 20s who's in his second season running the line in the LoI already. He was a Bohs fan and was told to stop attending games a couple of season before he started being even a lino.
    Ha, that's mad cos at the Bohs Galway match the ref got injured and at half time they made an announcement to see if there was any LOI refs in the crowd :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement