Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Macroom

Options
  • 30-04-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

What are the non-mobile broadband options in Macroom ?

Eircom DSL of course.
    Wireless (Satellite) ?
    Any resellers there.. operating Vodafone / Imagine etc

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Vofafone (formerly BT) are also operating there using Eircoms network, on the Killarney side of the town at least. Eircom only started providing BB on the Killarney side just over a year ago, though they have been providing it on the Cork side of the town for considerably longer.

Wireless options depends on where in the town you're looking at, but there a few available alright.

The mobile broadband (those little dongle thingies) reception in my area is really bad, I live on the Killarney side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Vofafone (formerly BT) are also operating there using Eircoms network, on the Killarney side of the town at least. Eircom only started providing BB on the Killarney side just over a year ago, though they have been providing it on the Cork side of the town for considerably longer.

Wireless options depends on where in the town you're looking at, but there a few available alright.

The mobile broadband (those little dongle thingies) reception in my area is really bad, I live on the Killarney side of the town.

mobile broadband is so dodge that it even depends on the bloody room you're in for our estate, in the front room, it's only fair, in the master bedroom it's great........so if I could transfer my fireplace into my bedroom, I'd be away on a hack:D

cjmcork wrote: »
    mobile broadband is so dodge that it even depends on the bloody room you're in for our estate, in the front room, it's only fair, in the master bedroom it's great........so if I could transfer my fireplace into my bedroom, I'd be away on a hack:D

I found that hanging it out the bedroom window used to help :D

Thank God we have proper BB now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

K ... Landline is DSL enabled and Vodafone beat Eircom hands-down of course.

Any other providers? eg. Imagine WiMax or Irish Broadband wireless i.e. to a point of site transmitter ( I suppose not :-( )

Lousy cellular wireless ("dongles") is well documented in other Macroom threads.

Should be happy to able to even get DSL I suppose.

So much for 'The Smart Economy, noble ICT strategies etc blah' blah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goodgirl7279

we used three mobile broadband while living there. did the job. by no means fast. I think there are areas where three doesnt work there but we were in glen park, near hosp

• Advertisement

Spinnaker wrote: »
    K ... Landline is DSL enabled and Vodafone beat Eircom hands-down of course.

Being with Eircom has it's advantages though...because they manage the network, if it ever goes down you get more accurate timelines as to when service will be restored. I'm with Vodafone here, network went down, all we got from them was "it can take 3 - 5 business days" to get it restored. Previously, with Eircom, with always got more accurate fault reports and updates.

There's not much in the price difference, plus Eircom give you free Setanta Sports online.

Now, give me some time and let me think why I'm still with Vodafone :D

Advertisement