Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what was the worst that was ever said to you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shanona

it wasn't really said to me, per se, but i heard it.

i had just gone through my divorce, and moved home with my parents specifically to take care of my mom (who was dying of cancer). I had a hard week caring for her, and an old friend asked me out on a date.
    i spent the evening getting ready and felt pretty for the first time in MONTHS since my marriage went south! I came down from my bedroom and my parents were sitting on the couch. Mom said i looked pretty. My dad smiled and agreed, then as i was rummaging through my purse i heard him "whisper" these words:

"Wouldn't she be beautiful if she lost about 20 pounds?"

really?! really, dad?!
    chauvinist.
    harumph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

No wonder John (my ex) done himself in :(

That was tonight, worst thing in my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

what?

bazmaiden wrote: »
    what?

Commited suicide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Commited suicide!

I thought that's what you meant but couldn't believe my eyes.
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss tonight.

• Advertisement

bazmaiden wrote: »
    I thought that's what you meant but couldn't believe my eyes.
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss tonight.

My ex said that about my ex tonight! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

:confused:

Her ex (as in the guy that the relationship with has just ended) said this:
    No wonder John (my ex) done himself in

about a different ex of hers.

@princess-lala: I think that may be the worst thing I've ever heard. He has issues (to put it very mildly and very politely).

Sorry I didnt really make myself very clear.

Yes my recent ex said to me tonight "no wonder John (my ex) done himself in" John committed suicide 27months ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

@princess-lala: I think that may be the worst thing I've ever heard. He has issues (to put it very mildly and very politely).
    I'd put it a lot more impolitely. :mad:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd put it a lot more impolitely. :mad:

Oh I did :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hmmmm.....I don't really get a lot of guff these days, it would have happened moreso when I was younger. But I suppose there are two things that really get to me

1) When people my own age say I'm like an old man in the way that I act. It does hurt because I don't know, I always fear that sometimes I can't relate to people my own age. It especially hurts when the opposite sex says it. :P

2) When people slag the way that I talk. I have a lot of hesitance in my voice, I can't really control it when I feel uncomfortable. When I do put a bit a force into my voice people think I'm raising my voice at them, simply because they are so used to me talking with a low tone.

Anyway, I suppose these aren't the worst things one can hear. I've read the whole thread and damn, I can't believe how cruel some people can be. My heart goes out to you all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

"You're only gay because no man would ever want you" - a former friend of mine, in an argument

• This isn't the worst thing but it's not that personal so I don't mind posting it here. Still shocking for an adult to say to a child though. When I was about 8 or 9, a daughter of my mum's friend used to babysit for us. We were playing some sort of game and I had to sing something, I wasn't really trying or anything and I guess it was out of tune. She said 'OMG, you have the absolute worst voice I've ever heard, I'd kill myself if I sang like you.' Literally stuck with me my whole life. I've always been musical but after that I wouldn't audition for any choirs, refused to sing in music class, got so nervous for the singing part of my piano exams that I felt sick. I'd even be too embarrassed to sing a line of a song to show someone how it went. The thing is, I can sing. I'm not Mariah Carey but my singing voice is grand. Only realised this in the last few years, when I finally mustered up the courage to sing, and I'm 25.

Another 'babysitter' one was from the girl who minded me the summer I turned 12. We were going to play tennis and she was walking behind me and I said I had a fat ass. I spent years then self conscious about it, wearing long tops, convinced I had an enormous ass. I don't. Why do people think it's acceptable to make comments like that to children? That could have very, very easily triggered an eating disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

'You'll never amount to anything, stop wasting your time'

'It's your fault mum & dads marriage broke down'

'Thanks for wrecking my life, they just had to have another child, I could of been the NBA player but no no no dad wanted the best for you'

All from the same person.
    I must admit drink was involved when he said all 3 things - but that saying 'the truth comes out when you're drunk' always lingers on my mind.

"You're only gay because no man would ever want you" - a former friend of mine, in an argument

WTF???

Bitch :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I don't think this is the worst thing anyone has said to me but when I was 12 or 13 a 'friend' of mine said to me during a fight:'No wonder people use you, because your so annoying. No sane person, wait no-one at all would put up with you. God help your parents.'

:mad:Biatch!!!!!! I havn't talked to her since.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

My Dad is a really good doctor and well recognised I answer calls everyday about people thanking him so much for saving their loved ones he's a really generous person......thats why I was shocked to find out one day that my auntie, his sister, once sued him! Yes! he gave her a room in our house when she was in need of a home and one day she slipped on the floor and sued my dad! :eek: I thought that was heartless and really disgusting what a bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Wow some really awful stories here :(.

I used to be upset by people saying 'bad' things to me. I then realised that they probably treat everyone the same way, and that they're making their own lives really difficult with their constant negativity which they have to live with.

I only have to experience their negativity for a minute :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Just remembered my "friend" in 4th class telling me people shoud call me Ned Flanders because I have a moustache. I am a girl, by the way :p How is a ten year old supposed to respond to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When my eldest was in playschool it was always me who took her and collected her, as OH in work. One day a friend said to me that one of the teachers had said to her that my daughter was so cute, her daddy must be very good looking. Ouch! And on another occasion,a friend of mine had seen my OH for the first time at a school sports day and remarked to another friend that she never thought my OH would be so good looking:mad: FFS like, am I a minger??! Never knew who to be more p**sed at, those passing the comments, or the friends that felt the need to tell me what was said:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

lisaface wrote: »
    'You'll never amount to anything, stop wasting your time'

'It's your fault mum & dads marriage broke down'

'Thanks for wrecking my life, they just had to have another child, I could of been the NBA player but no no no dad wanted the best for you'

All from the same person.
    I must admit drink was involved when he said all 3 things - but that saying 'the truth comes out when you're drunk' always lingers on my mind.

Looks to me like one brother you never need speak to / see again...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I have slurred speech at times, I can't help it and sometimes I don't notice it, but it really hurts when I'm explaining something and at the end of it, the person I'm talking to says, 'I have no idea what you just said'. A simple, 'say that again' would be less hurtful.

Other things that have stayed with me are crap from strangers and sometimes family:
    "You're getting a lot of fat on you"
    "You look like a man"
    "Goofy" used to have a gap in my teeth, have since gotten braces.
    "You have no friends" my sister used to throw that at me during arguments, which was true for most of my school career.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I think the most hurtful thing said to me was by my teacher in 4th class. I was having trouble grasping something in maths and so she kept me in during lunch just so i did the question. anyway, she turns to me and says: "You're like the slow boat to China". That was a great confidence boost right there. Bitch. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I had been having a particularly bad week in terms of back pain - I have scoliosis - and I wasn't in the mood to do anything really to which the person I was talking to replied "Scoliosis doesn't just happen overnight." It really knocked the wind out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tip_top

i was always overweight until i was about 15. when i was 10 or so my older sister sent me a picture message of this obese woman laying sexily posing - basically ripping the piss out of fat people. the message read "your future portrait".

When i was 13 we were sitting at dinner and i was talking about some fire drill we did at school and explained that the windows were so big so that people could easily climb out them. i then said "imagine trying to lift one of the disabled kids out.. like you'd have to lift their chair and all, thatd be really hard to lift" my sister responded "well bloody good thing your not in a wheelchair so or youd be left to burn"

do not have time for that sister any more. She still treats me like im 2 and have no clue how to tie my shoe laces never mind anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Someone said I had a "boring, monotone voice" once. Crushing, especially once I realised she was probably right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Vourney

Things my older sister has said to me at different times

"You don't realize how little you factor into my life."

You're not even important enough for me to hate. I am completely apathetic and indifferent to you.

You're just like Dad.
    (My father was physically abusive and an alcoholic. I am neither)

Suggested that I go to AA meetings.
    (I rarely drink, and when I do, I don't drink to excess. :confused: I think she wants me to be an alcoholic so she can think less of me and label me. This is really creepy and icky to me, like something coming from a very dark place inside her.)

Oh c'mon just admit that you were a brat as a child.

When I told her things she said hurt me, she replied "You shouldn't have given me so much power."

These are things she said to me as an adult. I won't mention any of the childhood stuff cause that's enough.

For me putting a name to this -- bullying -- has empowered me. Identifying the behavior as bullying has helped me to see how inappropriate her behavior is. There's more to it than that, but I don't want to make this too long.

It's validating to hear other women on here who don't speak to a bullying sister. Like -- oh phew -- I'm not the only one who had to go to that extreme. It does seem extreme to me to have to cut family out of your life. There is something very wrong about the whole setup. But you can't fix the bully. You can only take care of yourself and you gotta do what you gotta do to keep yourself sane. We all deserve to be happy. Set boundaries. Keep the bullies on the outside. Keep the good people on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

"I thought you were a boy" (i dont look like one. My name is unisex :() so embarssing.

"You have the worst taste in guys" ..thanks :P

"You cant wink" - OMG :D

Advertisement