Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Subjects

Options
  • 30-04-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey guys!
    Im hopin to do the Arts degree in nuim this year and hopefully go onto to teaching however im still unsure about my teaching combination.
    I definitely know I wanna do Geography but im unsure on the other.
    What would you say are the best subject combinations?
    Cheers guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Well I'd guess one's that are not so popular amongst people, rare skills are more sought after then common ones.
    Becoming really good in one of these subjects would guarantee a good chance at a job.
    Personally first of all I'd pick a not so popular language like Middle Irish(within the Celtic studies course),
    Basque, Catalan, Polish or Russian(not sure if they do these two in NUIM),
    Chinese or Dutch and then some other subjects which you have a substantial interest in.

Good luck!!
    Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

+1 on what Norrdeth said, pick subjects that are likely to be sought after. Mountains of people do geography/english/history etc with a view to being teachers. Of course there are plenty of people who don't do them in that view, but I know that there's a substancial enough amount of people who want to be teachers in arts degrees.

Keep in mind that this year there were 600+ applicants for 150 places on the Postgrad diploma in education, it's gonna be competitive.

At the end of the day, you have to pick whatever subjects you think are gonna make you happy but remember that for the "popular" subjects, there's gonna be a hell of a lot of competition when it comes to the becoming-a-teacher part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

My recommendation would be to do a language for two reasons:

1. Its always an advantage to have a second language

2. You can spend an extra year in college, doing and erasmus which can only help in riding out this recession.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Doodle53 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    Im hopin to do the Arts degree in nuim this year and hopefully go onto to teaching however im still unsure about my teaching combination.
    I definitely know I wanna do Geography but im unsure on the other.
    What would you say are the best subject combinations?
    Cheers guys

Dont forget to read this.
    http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/subjects.php?inst=pe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Cheers for the help guys.Ill look into the language ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MsDarcy

I can't honestly say this enough .. Study something you genuinely love. you're going to be doing lots of essays and readings and if you want do even half good your going to have to love it. There are sooo many people doing Arts degree's but if you really love your subjects it'l make it easier and worth it, it doesn't matter if it one of the most popular subjects if you love it, do it.

On the other hand I really reccomend Medieval Irish & Celtic studies for first year .. It's not a teaching subject so if you were to do it you prob couldn't keep it on for second year, but its fascinating and the department are so lovely and its nice and small. I was one of the few only post- LC'ers in a class full of matures and internationals but it was still great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Do Maths if you have any aptitude for it. The demand for maths teachers will always be there. So much so that in the UK they'll pay you to do your teaching diploma if you want to teach maths!

Advertisement