Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Galway

Options
  • 30-04-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

I'll be driving to Galway on Sunday for a gig that night and I'm just wondering is there anywhere around the Shop St/Dominick St area that I could park the car overnight for cheap or preferably free!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd say you'd find somewhere around the Claddagh that you wouldn't get charged in, not too far to walk to Dominick St from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

What time will you be leaving the next morning?

I could be wrong but isn't it free to park in Mill Street car park overnight? I think the charge period for the Pay & Display is between 8:30am and 6:30pm so it's free the rest of the time.

Mill Street is only a couple of mins walk from Shop Street by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I probably won't be leaving til about 1/2 the next day. The Claddagh looks like it's in a good position if I can get parking for free, I don't mind having to walk around abit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JohnMcManus

The Cathedral car park is free 6.30pm to 8.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This page has a map of public car parks in Galway city.

None of 'em free. But you may want to use one for part of the time if you're not leaving 'til midday. (eg put it in a council park overnight, move to the Claddagh during the day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Since it's bank holiday Monday, all on street and public car parks are free.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingintheCity/PayandDisplay/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

The Claddagh is meter parking. the meters were broken for about 6 months until March. However, I don't think it is very well monitored. To be safe I'd say you need to go to the town side of Salthill, around Whitestrand. It's about 8 mins walk to Dominick street from there. I do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Miranda7 wrote: »
    The Claddagh is meter parking. the meters were broken for about 6 months until March. However, I don't think it is very well monitored. To be safe I'd say you need to go to the town side of Salthill, around Whitestrand. It's about 8 mins walk to Dominick street from there. I do it every day.

I Agree, Also i know of some residents in Cladagh who do not take kindly to people using their place as a free car park.. And I would agree with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

schween wrote: »
    Since it's bank holiday Monday, all City Council owned/operated on street and public car parks are free.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingintheCity/PayandDisplay/

Note the addition carefully. Read the signs in the Dock Rd area extra carefully. Do not assume that a road that you can drive down is a public road managed by the City Council!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

JustMary wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention the Docks! There is only one street in the entire town where this is applicable, you mention it as though they are everywhere!

I still can't understand why the council haven't it better signposted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

schween wrote: »
    I still can't understand why the council haven't it better signposted.

Same reason they don't have a big sign outside your house. It's not their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corribman

This page has a in Galway city.

None of 'em free. But you may want to use one for part of the time if you're not leaving 'til midday. (eg put it in a council park overnight, move to the Claddagh during the day)

my advice is to keep away from market st. car park.the machine there charged me 8 .i euros fron 7.45 pm to 10pm saturday night 24th feb 2018.
    rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

2010 thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement