Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with comfrey?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I've just been given a present of some comfrey. I know it can be used as a fertiliser, but I was wondering if there are any other uses for it. I have a dim memory that it has some medicinal uses, but also that it's poisonous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The root was traditionally made into a poultice and used by hearbalists to treat sprains.

Common name was knitbone.

It should not be ingested as large doses have been relate to bowel cancer (This was the reason the medicines board gave for controlling it, though deep heat ain't great for the tummy either )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What have you been given, root? Plant? Leaves?

If you have a root or whole plant, comfrey has good uses in the garden. You can grow it as a barrier crop between rows of vegetables, it makes a great mulch, it stops running grasses in their tracks and the leaves are an excellent addition to your compost heap.

You can propogate by cutting the root into pieces and planting the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

kylith wrote: »
    I've just been given a present of some comfrey. I know it can be used as a fertiliser, but I was wondering if there are any other uses for it. I have a dim memory that it has some medicinal uses, but also that it's poisonous.
    put it in a spare piece of ground, say not flowerbed as it will grow too big
    it is great for making homemade fertaliser, cut leaves off and soak in water for about six weeks, it is a great way and cheap as well as healthy of fertalising, as there are no addetives in it, i use it for my tomatoes herbs onions and so on, it will also do flower beds, you did get something very valuable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for the answers. I've been given a piece of root. Do I just bung it in the ground or does it need special treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Where can one get some?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know, I'm afraid. I was given some by a friend who was given some by a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Where can one get some?
    garden center

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I have tried several here on the east coast but no luck. Everything from the high end center to the low end, so if you have anything more constructive I would be very thankful. Like which garden center?

kylith wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. I've been given a piece of root. Do I just bung it in the ground or does it need special treatment?

Bung it in the ground, it is almost impossible to kill. Be careful with the site as it can be invasive (variety dependent, some cultivars are less vigorous however officianalis is very vigorous.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    I have tried several here on the east coast but no luck. Everything from the high end center to the low end, so if you have anything more constructive I would be very thankful. Like which garden center?

Irish Organic Centre does them by mail order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

does anyone have any details as to it's medicinal purpose. Soon I'm gonna have a ****e load of it growing near me and I've heard it's (the root boiled) great for chesty coughs but I'm yet to heat anything concrete...

Advertisement