Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons for having a Rifle Scope ??????

Options
  • 30-04-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Anyone get any letters from the Gardai looking for reasons why you need a scope for your rifle, was over with my firearms dealer today and a local garda poped in and left a few forms for the dealer requesting that people fill out these with getting scopes. Got a quick look at the form and it covers moderators and rifle scopes, i can understand the moderator bit but looking for reasons why you would use a scope is ridiculous. There was a local lad there two and he said he had got one of these forms in the post recently. I dont know if these are coming down from local level or from the DOJ. Anyone else hear anything or received one of these letters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Heard on another forum a lad has been refused permission for a scope on a .22lr. Didn't believe it till now :eek:

NARGC/FPU should me made aware of this ****e. I hope this is not an official development !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Heard on another forum a lad has been refused permission for a scope on a .22lr. Didn't believe it till now :eek:

NARGC/FPU should me made aware of this ****e. I hope this is not an official development !!!

Could not believe it myself I hope its only a local thing, it was made up into two sections, first bit covered the moderator and then the bit on scope`s give reasons why you needed one. Still in shock myself over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You are short sighted!:D Answer this sort of rubbish with rubbish!Not to mind getting to the FPU and NARGC to kick up blue murder about this stupidity.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Both are ridiculous. Should not need permission for scopes or mods. Or night vision. If you're approved to carry and use a firearm that should be evidence enough you're responsible to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there is no open sights on the rifle ! . as most dont .

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »

Short and sweet but probably the most valid point with new rifles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Still waiting for the April fools bit here lads................

Is this for real though? Scopes make for safer shooting. Once zeroed 95-99% of rounds hit their mark. What would be the percentages without sights.
    jwshooter wrote: »

Excellent point. My Savage has a round back and round barrel. What am i suppose to do, point upwards and hope for the best??????????????

Alot of younger lads have never shot open sights. Scopes are all they know. Now i'm by no means an "ould timer", but i started off shooting open sights and progressed to scopes, etc. What do these lads do. ANOTHER competency course for open sight shooting? €€€€€€€€€€€€€
    johngalway wrote:
    If you're approved to carry and use a firearm that should be evidence enough you're responsible to have it.

Exactly. You have been assessed and approved already.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's beyond bizarre. :mad:

Get back to your dealer at your first opportunity and take possession of at least one of those forms before they 'disappear'; the NGBs/NARGC/etc need to see this.

Rovi wrote: »
    That's beyond bizarre. :mad:

Get back to your dealer at your first opportunity and take possession of at least one of those forms before they 'disappear'; the NGBs/NARGC/etc need to see this.

Wont get a chance to get over for the next week or so, but I will be in contact with him 2morrow. But the think that stood out was that a local lad had been sent out one in the post. As I have said already im not sure if its a local thing or nationwide.

As you have said Rovi its beyond bizarre and makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

ezridax wrote: »
    Scopes make for safer shooting. Once zeroed 95-99% of rounds hit their mark. What would be the percentages without sights.

There's a guy who posts on here as Floydster who can do about 93% with iron sights - would that be sufficient?

competency course for open sight shooting?

Excellent idea. Better still, one for peep sight shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Why would you even mention a scope? There is nothing in any of the legislation which has anything to do with scopes. Laser sights, yes but not scopes. None of their business if you ask me. Suppose you get your licence and decide later to buy a scope. Do you have to apply for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is section on the FCA1 form about scopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Bond-007 wrote: »

Is there? I only remember about add ons such as mod or night-vision.
    I got my licence without putting anything about a scope.
    As JohnG said, we proved ourselves already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

In SECTION 3 - FIREARM DETAILS, there's subsection 3.2, which states:
    Accessories Tick √ appropriate box(es) if relevant: Silencer Sights/Other (specify)

Nowhere in the legislation or the Commissioner's Guidelines does it state exactly what's meant by "Sights/Other", but FPU and Justice have clarified that it's meant for light-intensifying scopes, laser sights, and the like.

It looks like some genius in this particular District missed that memo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    There's a guy who posts on here as Floydster who can do about 93% with iron sights - would that be sufficient?

Ah, pedantic Pat returns.

You know well what i mean. He is a competitive shooter, shooting at the highest level in a sport that dictates open/peep sights are required so he trained for that. I'm refering to ordinary hunters/sporting shooters. That use range time for zeroing mostly/only.

Excellent idea. Better still, one for peep sight shooting.

Then what? Competency courses (that are not even recognised by any state body) for every aspect of shooting. The sport of it will be even more heavily policed until no shooting can be done from an enjoyment/pastime/sporting point of view.

Still you make a good arguement for the state. Keep up the good work. :rolleyes:
    Bond-007 wrote:

There is a box to tick marked "sights". No explanation, just sights. This can/could/does refer to scopes, peep sights, iron sights, laser sights, light emitting/aided sights, night vision, etc. It is purposely vague.

At the end of it all i do not see the need for these forms or such forms. You must include a seperate sheet with the reason you require the firearm when applying for your firearm. It is explained in this extra informaion sheet (your reason) and if deemed enough/good enough then the application is passed. A scope (for the most part) is part and parcel of a rifle. The main issue should be the use of the firearm, and this is already addressed. How does the method in which you view your target matter?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ya but a rifle with sights on it is a sniper rifle that can shoot people from miles away:rolleyes:

it looks like another case of rules being made by people who know nothing about the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

the nargc might and should be interested in this , but the fpu is a dead duck, as the supers/chief supers don't have to pay any attention to them and as far as i am aware, are not bound by law to do so.
    surely this is someone (in the gardai) not reading the form properly or not being aware of the norms in firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I got my letter from the super the other day telling me I was successful in my application for a license for my .223 but only after 1./ original letters from landowners granting me permission to shoot on their land were also handed in and 2./ the local garda called me up and wanted make, model and specs of my bushnell 5-15x50 scope because I had ticked that I had sights on my gun on the fca1 form.
    The local garda was sound about it all but he was only doing what he was told.
    He was almost apologising for having to ring me.
    My brother is giving me an anschutz .22lr as hes moving back to the states and when I rang my local sarg. he was brilliant - he said that all license processing would be getting done locally from now on and not going through phoenix park anymore. He told me to just leave in my broters fca2 and my fca1 into my local station (rural) in an envelope with his name on it and that he'd get it sorted out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Follow-on query: I have a .22 with scope, looked at my license and the scope is not mentioned on it. If your scope is approved, should it be noted on your licence? Is a moderator mentioned if you are approved for one?
    Tnx
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Follow-on query: I have a .22 with scope, looked at my license and the scope is not mentioned on it. If your scope is approved, should it be noted on your licence? Is a moderator mentioned if you are approved for one?
    Tnx
    P.

I have an S to signify Moderator on my .223 licence.

This whole scope thing seems a bit daft, Almost every rifle in the country besides paper punchers have a scope.

My local SGT inspected my rifles before and never commented upon my scopes. All she cared about were the numbers matching description.
    Scopes are not restricted Technology unless they are NV which was always the case in this country same as LED/laser aim points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

From what I have seen with my sons application is the tick box on the form is for If you going to use any sort of night vision or IR equipment.

He ticked that box and he had a form sent to him outlining what could and could not be used on his rifle. He was only looking for a standard scope for his rifle so he stated that and all was well.

I have an S to signify Moderator on my .223 licence.

Maybe you're wrong and it's S as in Scope? (Wouldn't Moderator be M?)

Maybe if you want to have both they want to print SS on your licence. How appropriate is that?

Godwin rules.

Ah, pedantic Pat returns.

Wrong - you're confusing me with Sparks
    You know well what i mean. He is a competitive shooter, shooting at the highest level in a sport that dictates open/peep sights are required so he trained for that. I'm refering to ordinary hunters/sporting shooters. That use range time for zeroing mostly/only.

But in his case I was taking the "mark" as the small 10-ring in the middle. For ordinary shooters you could take it to mean the black aiming mark and even the most pedestrian target shooters hit that virtually 100% of the time.

Still you make a good arguement for the state. Keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

Not for the state; for marksmanship in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Maybe you're wrong and it's S as in Scope? (Wouldn't Moderator be M?)

Maybe if you want to have both they want to print SS on your licence. How appropriate is that?

Godwin rules.

It would be M but they call it a silencer, being not into splitting hairs.

I did not tick about NV scope, and as stated; I filled out in the comapny of my local SGT who visually inspected each so there would be no mistakes and re-applications.
    It took me hours to complete just 4 checking and double checking and writing out cover letters to accompany. And then another 30 mins going through with SGT.

As up to this point 3/4 licences would come back printed wrong, crossed out and pen written and re-stamped:D:D
    So I wanted NO mistakes as it was for 3 years

clivej wrote: »
    He ticked that box and he had a form sent to him outlining what could and could not be used on his rifle.

Any chance of seeing a scan of that form Clive, if he still has it?

Right lads spoke with the firearms dealer again today and he said that this is coming from the DOJ they are amending the original application form for next year and this will be a add on to section 3.2 of the FCA 1 which covers Accessories. He also stated that there will be a bit in it about a GAME LICENSE as well because this was missing on the new form and when you get into the nitty gritty Legal part supposedly all who went out hunting from the 1st of November for the season was breaking the law. Now the question is will this be a money spinner and will we have to pay for a Game License ?

Right lads spoke with the firearms dealer again today and he said that this is coming from the DOJ they are amending the original application form for next year and this will be a add on to section 3.2 of the FCA 1 which covers Accessories. He also stated that there will be a bit in it about a GAME LICENSE as well because this was missing on the new form and when you get into the nitty gritty Legal part supposedly all who went out hunting from the 1st of November for the season was breaking the law. Now the question is will this be a money spinner and will we have to pay for a Game License ?

I'm suddenly filled with a sense of dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

johngalway wrote: »
    Any chance of seeing a scan of that form Clive, if he still has it?

Sorry John its long gone. But as said it came from the Super to find out if he was looking for any IR and/or night vision gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm suddenly filled with a sense of dread.
    Sounds like the goal posts will be moving again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am reading this and im some what in a bit of a quandry. I thought this buisness regarding what the sights box meant was cleared up.

The sights being in question, image intensifying etc those that are specifically mention in the act.

Advertisement