Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme Gaming PC!

Options
  • 30-04-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I've got most of the parts sorted out, but the trickiest thing to do now is to find the cheapest prices in UK or ROI. Here's my list of stuff I'm using:

i7-930 (OC the sh*t out of it...)
    Asus P6X58D
    ATI Radeon 5970 2GB
    Antec-CP 850 watt PSU
    12GB 3x4GB RAM
    Plextor 320SA Blue Ray Player / DVD Writer
    AFT XM-35U Card Reader
    Prolimatech Megahalems w/ IC Diamond Karat TIM, twin PWM fans and PWM splitter
    NZXT Sentry LX High Performance Fan Controller (Black) or NZXT SENTRY 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
    Corsair Nova 128 GB SSD
    Seagate 7200.12 1.5 TB HDD
    Antec Twelve Hundred Case
    3x Asus/Samsung 24" 1080p

That's all I can think of so far... Could you give your opinions on what could be changed? Where's the best place to buy?

I wish NewEgg were in Europe...

Here's something random :D

129167586636177506.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

earwax_man wrote: »
    That's all I can think of so far... Could you give your opinions on what could be changed? Where's the best place to buy?

Case is a bit meh for an 'extreme' PC. Corsair Obsidian? Coolmaster ATCS 840?

CPU cooler... the Noctua NH-D14 is the one to beat afaik. Megahalem might get 1 or 2 degrees cooler on an overclock, but that would require ridiculously high RPM fans and thus lots of noise. If you can manage the large size, Noctua seems to be the best compromise between noise and performance.

Get 3x2GB modules of RAM, 4GB modules are pissing money down the drain and that much RAM will be a bottleneck in terms of OCing anyway...

tbh, you don't even need an i7 for a gaming machine. i5 do fine. That and the savings on the RAM might even get you another GPU to Xfire...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

The reason I need that much RAM is because I use my computer for render scenes and gaming. :P

Since I'm not going to watercool, then should I stay with the Antec Twelve Hundred? It does look awesome as well...

Awesome heatsink ;D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The Antec 1200 isn't that bad... but its far from the best full tower and getting it just to get charged through the nose for a CPX PSU is dire folly. IIRC the Signature 850W is cheaper, and they're both nearly identical, the only real difference is that the CPX version has the 120mm fan in a cross-flow configuration. And is pricier :o

This means if you're going to go for a good, cheaper case or a vastly superior one in a similar or higher price bracket you'll need to change the PSU - CPX isn't compatible with.... well, anything else :o

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Would the Cosmos S case be better? Does it come with a translucent side panel or is that extra? :rolleyes:

Also, I've edited the list a little:
    i7-930
    Asus P6X58D
    ATI Radeon 5970 2GB
    12GB 6x2GB RAM (I use CAD on 3ds Max 2010 and gaming a lot)
    Plextor 320SA Blue Ray Player / DVD Writer
    AFT XM-35U Card Reader
    Prolimatech Megahalems w/ IC Diamond Karat TIM, twin PWM fans and PWM splitter
    Corsair Nova 128 GB SSD
    Seagate 7200.12 1.5 TB HDD
    Cosmos S (does it come with a transparent side panel or is that bought separately...?)
    Corsair 850 watt PSU
    Scythe Kama Meter 5.25" multi function fan controller
    3x Asus/Samsung 24" 1080p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not really, the Cosmos is obsolete at this point. Have a look at its replacement, the ATCS 840, though. There's also the Corsair Obsidian, but its ludicrously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Solitaire wrote: »
    Not really, the Cosmos is obsolete at this point. Have a look at its replacement, the ATCS 840, though. There's also the Corsair Obsidian, but its ludicrously expensive.

But if your spending a huge budget on a rig like that, then you gotta complement it with a case of equal magnitude. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ACTS outperforms the Obsidian in every regard. Except in teh shexinesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Cooler Master 932 is one pretty sweet case if you like the look. Id hold off on the monitors for a little while till the new 24" 120mhz come out and swap the Seagate HDDs for a Samsung F3 or two along with getting 2 5870s over the 5970 due to better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is the case you want:)
    gran10.jpg

Advertisement