Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens if you cant do the Junior Cert?

• 30-04-2010 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last week. It has gone unnoticed for so long that it has spread and treatment has to begin immediately. I'm having my op on the 12th of May and have to be in recovery for a week. A few weeks after that I have to go for radioiodine treatment and be kept in isolation for a week. and it will most probably be around the time of the junior cert, what happens if you cant do it? Do you have to repeat the whole year again?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No you don't have to repeat the year.

You can if you want, of course, but you don't need to have done the Junior Cert. to go into a Leaving Cert. course or TY. Your teachers will have a fair idea of how you would get on in the Junior, even if you don't sit it.

Good luck with the treatment.

**edit** The SEC can always make special arrangements for you to sit your exams in hospital or a nursing home, if you felt up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Hi. Really sorry to hear about the cancer, hope the treatment goes well. Don't worry about the JC, just concentrate on getting better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

DKZ wrote: »
    Hi. Really sorry to hear about the cancer, hope the treatment goes well. Don't worry about the JC, just concentrate on getting better. :)

Exactly.

There are are a lot more things important then your Junior Cert and health is on top of the list.

Trust me....don't worry about the exam right now

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Forget the JC!
    Just do your best to get better! Good Luck in your op and get well soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The junior cert in all fairness means nothing at all in future life and all in all it's the leaving cert that is important.
    As someone else said,your teachers would know themselves how you would get on and I'd urge you not to worry and am sorry to hear about your sickness and I wish you the best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

It pretty much just helps to deterime what levels you do in the LC. But as everyone said, your teachers should know. Good luck with beating the cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

daneey.X wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last week. It has gone unnoticed for so long that it has spread and treatment has to begin immediately. I'm having my op on the 12th of May and have to be in recovery for a week. A few weeks after that I have to go for radioiodine treatment and be kept in isolation for a week. and it will most probably be around the time of the junior cert, what happens if you cant do it? Do you have to repeat the whole year again?

No you don't. I know a girl who had an op on her spine and she didn't do hers last year, she's in TY now so don't be stressing about it...concentrate on getting better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

As far as I know, you can get the exam done in hospital, and I'm almost certain there'd be some sort of concession made for you, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't be too worried, future-wise, if you don't get the JC done this year, or at all, it doesn't make a jot of a difference. If you do the LC, then only thing it's useful for is having some experience with big formal state exams. Even at that, that's not a huge advantage...

Best of luck with the treatment. :)

Advertisement