Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Ross / Conor] Multiple continued emails for new thread posts

Options
  • 30-04-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is a setting I have made or not but if I post in a thread and there is another post made I get the email notification of that new post but then get an email notification for lots of other posts too.

For example I got approx 100 different emails for posts in the Gerry Ryan thread in AH. There were a lot of other replies mind you so it's not that I am getting an email for every post. This happens whether I am online or not so again it's not a sending an email after each time I viewed a thread and then a new post was made.

I do have two accounts here on boards (admins know about this it's all above board!) so I'm wondering is this causing the issue or is this happening with anyone else ???

I'm not complaining as it's easy enough to bulk delete but today in particular swamped the inbox and I'm sure it's using boards resources that it doesn't need to too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Edit - on second thoughts this may have been better suited to helpdesk. Apologies for posting in wrong forum if this is the case.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Goto the thread in question & click thread tools> Subscribe to this thread, on the next page change notification type.

Maybe I've completely misunderstood this but is it not the case that instant notification is email you when a new post is made and not email you again until after you have logged in and viewed the thread ?

edit:
    There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    boards.ie

I'm getting emails every couple of minutes even when not logged in. I came home last night to 100+ emails on the Gerry Ryan thread alone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should not get further notification untill you log in and view again.
    Is this happening on any other threads you subscribe to with instant email notification?
    If its only that thread I would suggest to try remove the subscription & then set it up again.
    If that fails change setting to daily notification & see what happens.

No it's pretty much all threads from what I can see - just that this particular thread generated so many emails that I said ah sod this let's get this checked out :)

141 emails from that thread alone. :eek:

• Advertisement

Any chance a mod here could throw this over to the helpdesk - see if the technical dept could shed some light onto it ?

(Don't want to start duplicate threads) :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi there. I've moved this over to Help Desk for you. I see from your settings that you have "Instant email notification" selected. From talking to someone else who uses this it seems that there may be a glitch, but I don't use it myself so I'm afraid I can't help you on this. However I'll mark the thread for Ross and Conor's attention and one of them should be able to sort you out.

Thanks for that Zaph,

Advertisement