Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

**** it. Just booked the 5 AM screening. Should be a lark and one half.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

me too! wonder how many tickets are left...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Gah, it's not released in Belgium until the 25th of July. 5 days of listening to friends back home going on about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

YUS, Showtime in Limerick are going BB and TDK back to back for a fiver each on the 19th \:D/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Imax tickets booked. If you're reading this future Mrs Jones, it's just a co-incidence that part of our Honeymoon was near a 70mm theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Imax tickets booked. If you're reading this future Mrs Jones, it's just a co-incidence that part of our Honeymoon was near a 70mm theatre.

I really hope you're not joking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I really hope you're not joking :D

Nope :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Congratulations on your imax tickets, I'm sure you both will be very happy.

Oh, and on the wedding obv :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

bullvine wrote: »
    Its inevitable whats going to happen, in my opinion!

I know. :( I haven't read any spoilers but all the same, I'm probably 95% sure that Bruce dies at this stage.
    krudler wrote: »
    the track "fear will find you" sounds great, I like what I assume is Catwomans theme as well "Mind if I cut in" I guess its from the scene in the trailer where we see Selina dancing with Bruce wearing a mask.

I love them all! Why Do We Fall is probably my favourite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The Tumber and Batpod will be in Dublin tomorrow!

TUMBLER, BAT-POD FROM
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES COMING TO IRELAND

Dublin, July 9th 2012 -To celebrate the July 20th release of Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ The Dark Knight Rises, the third film in Christopher Nolan’s epic Dark Knight trilogy, the film’s Tumbler and Bat-Pod are coming to Dublin on July 10th.

PHOTOCALL: 11am, St Stephen’s Green LUAS station with the BatPod and The Dark Knight Rises LUAS
    Caroline Foran from Entertainment.ie’s EITV
    Ryan Phillips and Tracy Clifford from Spin 1038s Fully Charged morning show.

The Camouflage Tumbler will be on display in Dundrum Town Centre from 10.30am and will be joined from 1pm by The Batpod. The display finishes at 2.30pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I know. :( I haven't read any spoilers but all the same, I'm probably 95% sure that Bruce dies at this stage.

What?! They can't kill Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Would Warner Bros really let Nolan kill Bruce Wayne and the franchise? I have my doubts!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

they could kill Bruce Wayne without killing Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I'm going to see it in IMAX Chicago while on my honeymoon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Basq wrote: »
    Would Warner Bros really let Nolan kill Bruce Wayne and the franchise? I have my doubts!

I'm pretty sure that after TDK and Inception Nolan has free reign and can do whatever he wants. They are planning to reboot it anyway so it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

With a reboot already announced I think that would give Nolan more freedom to kill the character off if the story calls for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Franchise is getting rebooted following Nolan's efforts anyway, so he's probably free to tell his story how he likes even if it might not be what people hope or expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fair enough..

.. wasn't aware a reboot was planned already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Speaking of the reboot, despite Warners previously announcing that Nolan would be producing it, he now seems to denying an future involvement in the franchise.

http://collider.com/christopher-nolan-justice-league-batman-reboot/178205/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Feels kind of dis-heartening that there are already plans to reboot it already.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Feels kind of dis-heartening that there are already plans to reboot it already.

aye, maybe give it 4-5 years, there was what, 7 years between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins? although i dont think anyone had any problem with the Batman franchise being reborn after the Schumacher movies. Whereas Nolans trilogy will be the yardstick for future Batmovies. I hope if they do it they go back to a more comic book style instead of the "realistic" Nolan one. Something like the way the Arkham Asylum/City games are, which are brilliant interpretations of the franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Arkham games are great in interactive form or perhaps in comic form, but the hodgepodge approach to storytelling would be disastrous in a film. It's a rare game designed to make the most out of its medium, much like the Nolan series has been brilliantly designed to make the best out of film.

They can do what they want with the franchise after, as far as I'm concerned, as long as Nolan's take on the character is wrapped up nicely here. That we got two, perhaps three, great films - far beyond what anyone could reasonably expect from a film about a guy in a dodgy bat suit - is more than enough. Any reboot, reinterpretation, remake, whatever can be safely ignored. Just be glad that for a few years Christopher Nolan got to make the great superhero films cinema has always needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Nolan's Batman Trilogy is the greatest Comic Superhero adaptation ever! Any reboot's will be compared to this! It will actually be kind of sad seeing it end as I don't think he'll go near anything as iconic as Batman again, but what a legacy! I cried geek tears at the greatness of the first and I'll probably do the same when I see the last film in the trilogy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reboot is a great idea. It leaves Nolan's vision intact while giving the next person to take over the freedom to do what they choose. I'd like to see a take that embraces the more fantastical elements of the Batman mythos but retains a dark tone or goes darker even. Could do without a rehash of the origin story though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

No need to be like that dude, its not like I'm a blow in on this thread...just thought it would be good to have the full info on the thread for everyone when posting an occasion like this.

Thanks for the info above btw

lol you did say 'not that I believe you' so yeah, his reaction was fair. Call someone a liar and you can expect a snipy comeback.

Taste of your own medicine doctor? ;)

The Arkham games are great in interactive form or perhaps in comic form, but the hodgepodge approach to storytelling would be disastrous in a film. It's a rare game designed to make the most out of its medium, much like the Nolan series has been brilliantly designed to make the best out of film.

They can do what they want with the franchise after, as far as I'm concerned, as long as Nolan's take on the character is wrapped up nicely here. That we got two, perhaps three, great films - far beyond what anyone could reasonably expect from a film about a guy in a dodgy bat suit - is more than enough. Any reboot, reinterpretation, remake, whatever can be safely ignored. Just be glad that for a few years Christopher Nolan got to make the great superhero films cinema has always needed.

ah I mean really more the comic book approach to the Arkham games, having characters like Killer Croc and Poison Ivy in it, ones that wouldnt fit in with Nolans reality based series. There's room for a more comic book vision of Batman, without falling into Schumacher levels of sillyness. its going to be an extremely hard task to do the series again after Nolan as these are what a lot of people to consider the best comic movies ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Andy!! wrote: »
    lol you did say 'not that I believe you' so yeah, his reaction was fair. Call someone a liar and you can expect a snipy comeback.

For the good of the thread I'm just going to agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Andy!! wrote: »

In the interest of fairness he said, "Not that I DONT believe you...."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

:pac:

http://www.thejournal.ie/batman-batsuit-cape-science-students-515236-Jul2012/

Kapow! Physicists find chink in the Batsuit

BATMAN WOULD NEED a parachute to land safely in real life, say physicists who recommend a cape redesign if the masked superhero is to pursue his exploits outside the pages of comic books or celluloid. On the big screen, the crime-fighter is able to glide from tall buildings using a cape spread out like wings – similar to the method used by base jumpers who leap from bridges, buildings and cliffs wearing winged suits. But unlike these real-life daredevils, Batman does not have a parachute. Given his current cape design, Batman could glide to a distance of about 350 metres if he were to jump from a building about 150 metres high, a group of four University of Leicester physics students found.

“The problem with the glide lies in his velocity as he reaches ground level,” they wrote in the university’s Journal of Special Physics Topics. “The velocity rises rapidly to a maximum of a little over 110 kilometres per hour,” they wrote in the paper entitled “Trajectory of a falling Batman”. “At these high speeds any impact would likely be fatal if not severely damaging” – the equivalent of being hit by a car at 80 kph. Batman’s wingspan, at 4.7 metres, is about half that of a hang glider. The cape, which resembles a bat’s wings, allows him to glide over the streets and rooftops in his home city Gotham looking for bad guys.

The scientists conclude that the crusader get a bigger cape, pack a parachute, or use propulsion jets to keep himself aloft. “Clearly gliding using a batcape is not a safe way to travel,” the group conclude, “unless a method to rapidly show down is used such as a parachute.”

They also suggest that “he could follow the method of Gary Connery, who recently became the first person to glide to the ground from a helicopter using only a wingsuit, although he only made it down safely using a large number of cardboard boxes” to crash into.

• Advertisement

:pac:

http://www.thejournal.ie/batman-batsuit-cape-science-students-515236-Jul2012/

Kapow! Physicists find chink in the Batsuit

BATMAN WOULD NEED a parachute to land safely in real life, say physicists who recommend a cape redesign if the masked superhero is to pursue his exploits outside the pages of comic books or celluloid. On the big screen, the crime-fighter is able to glide from tall buildings using a cape spread out like wings – similar to the method used by base jumpers who leap from bridges, buildings and cliffs wearing winged suits. But unlike these real-life daredevils, Batman does not have a parachute. Given his current cape design, Batman could glide to a distance of about 350 metres if he were to jump from a building about 150 metres high, a group of four University of Leicester physics students found.

“The problem with the glide lies in his velocity as he reaches ground level,” they wrote in the university’s Journal of Special Physics Topics. “The velocity rises rapidly to a maximum of a little over 110 kilometres per hour,” they wrote in the paper entitled “Trajectory of a falling Batman”. “At these high speeds any impact would likely be fatal if not severely damaging” – the equivalent of being hit by a car at 80 kph. Batman’s wingspan, at 4.7 metres, is about half that of a hang glider. The cape, which resembles a bat’s wings, allows him to glide over the streets and rooftops in his home city Gotham looking for bad guys.

The scientists conclude that the crusader get a bigger cape, pack a parachute, or use propulsion jets to keep himself aloft. “Clearly gliding using a batcape is not a safe way to travel,” the group conclude, “unless a method to rapidly show down is used such as a parachute.”

They also suggest that “he could follow the method of Gary Connery, who recently became the first person to glide to the ground from a helicopter using only a wingsuit, although he only made it down safely using a large number of cardboard boxes” to crash into.

pic of the scientists who conducted the experiments:

big-bang-theory.jpg

Advertisement