Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Haha that is indeed brilliant, and another thing that it does is put to bed some theories among fans that Bruce's limp and need for a cane is all in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with green-screens - or any colour screen for that matter - if it was good enough for the scale-models of Star Wars, it's good enough for Batman. Here, it's all about context & use.

The point I think Krudler was making is that Nolan doesn't rely on the power of computers to as a lazy solution to classic directing problems, like shooting thousands of extras fighting on the streets of New York. He just ... well, shoots thousands of extras fighting in New York. Very old-school; Nolan seems to only add CGI to hide the wires as it were (literally, in the case of the new Bat-VTOL). David Fincher is another good example of a director who uses CGI in a subtle fashion.

yeah that, like in Inception, they could have just cgi'ed in a big snow fortress and avalanche, but no, crazy mofo that Nolan is went and built one and then had a real avalance filmed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Presumably the final trailer, which seems to have a fair bit of new footage as well as incorporating lots of footage from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just watching the original Batman with Michael Keaton on ITV2 and during the ad break there was an ad for the new one with some of the new footage,it started with the line "THE WAIT IS OVER" :cool::D:D

BTW Batman is starting on ITV2+1 in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Awesome Bane IMAX poster

TDKR-IMAX-bane-poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with green-screens - or any colour screen for that matter - if it was good enough for the scale-models of Star Wars, it's good enough for Batman. Here, it's all about context & use.

The point I think Krudler was making is that Nolan doesn't rely on the power of computers to as a lazy solution to classic directing problems, like shooting thousands of extras fighting on the streets of New York. He just ... well, shoots thousands of extras fighting in New York. Very old-school; Nolan seems to only add CGI to hide the wires as it were (literally, in the case of the new Bat-VTOL). David Fincher is another good example of a director who uses CGI in a subtle fashion.

I wasn't making a point about whether CGI is good or bad. I am actually a vfx compositor and work with CG everyday. I was referring to Krudler's reply to the post about not seeing any greenscreen in the featurette. Someone always brings up how Nolan doesn't use much CGI and that is nonsense to be honest, he just uses it well. Nearly every shot with a window in the Dark Knight has a CG background and yet people still claim he doesn't use much. And there's a lot more CG Batman in it than most people would think.

Alot of that is to do with the nature of the stories and the movies he chooses to direct. Same with Fincher, they generally direct movies which are set in a real world so any vfx tend to be fairly invisible ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Ticket booked, 6am 20th. Never been to the cinema at such an ungodly hour before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the point about Nolan's use of green screen and other visual effects is that it is fairly minimal for a film of its size. The Dark Knight had 650 visual effect shots, while Inception only had 500. The Avengers had 2,200, The Amazing Spiderman 1,600. Even smaller films like The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had a 1,000 each. Although Fincher probably isn't the best example as he is OCD when it comes to continuity and will think nothing of spending tens of thousands on digital effects making sure a part in the actor's hair is consistent between shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I haven't watched any trailer after the second one. There are so many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I think the point about Nolan's use of green screen and other visual effects is that it is fairly minimal for a film of its size. The Dark Knight had 650 visual effect shots, while Inception only had 500. The Avengers had 2,200, The Amazing Spiderman 1,600. Even smaller films like The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had a 1,000 each. Although Fincher probably isn't the best example as he is OCD when it comes to continuity and will think nothing of spending tens of thousands on digital effects making sure a part in the actor's hair is consistent between shots.

650 is a very low estimate for the dark knight. Some claiims put it at around 700, other put it nearly 1500. I'd reckon it's nearer the former but probably more than 700. Avengrs is good example of what i meant byt eh type of movie choices deciding the use of CG. Neither Nolan of FIncher could have made that practically

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

al28283 wrote: »
    650 is a very low estimate for the dark knight. Some claiims put it at around 700, other put it nearly 1500. I'd reckon it's nearer the former but probably more than 700. Avengrs is good example of what i meant byt eh type of movie choices deciding the use of CG. Neither Nolan of FIncher could have made that practically

I'm sure Nolan would've tried his best to build a Hellicarrier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

It's because Warners don't want us seeing it before the US.

incorrect, Dublin has several mid(k)night showings

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Where?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I keep hearing that this movie is where batman first meets his physical equal or better. Surely Liam Neeson in begins was his match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I keep hearing that this movie is where batman first meets his physical equal or better. Surely Liam Neeson in begins was his match.

He wast by the end of the film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Ra's Al Ghul was no match for Batman once he put the suit on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I wish I had the will power to not watch these trailers and TV spots!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I wish I had the will power to not watch these trailers and TV spots!! :D

I'm not watching the last two put up in here. I've seen enough, and we're so close now I don't want to know or see anything more.. just wanna be blown the f*ck away on the 20th :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

He wast by the end of the film

It was a 50/50 fight at the end, could have gone either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nope, they were all cancelled. 5 am is the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Nope, they were all cancelled. 5 am is the earliest.

Apologies, i wasn't privy to this info. Never heard of midnight showings being cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FYI for anyone in Sligo - tickets for the first week in the Gaiety are now on sale.

Typical Gaiety - zero announcement on Facebook or Twitter for it.. just a tiny Batman logo in the sidebar on the home-page.

Just booked my ticket for opening night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm not watching the last two put up in here. I've seen enough, and we're so close now I don't want to know or see anything more.. just wanna be blown the f*ck away on the 20th :)

That's me, no more! I'll resist even watching them again.

Although I have listened to the soundtrack a few times. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I just saw a new tv spot myself, and saw some kind of flying batmobile.

I cringed in a way similar to when I saw the Batpod launch out of the Batmobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

On thin Ice, Gotham's Reckoning and Fear will find you are my favourites from the soundtrack.

Anyone know the score from the 3rd trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just got confirmation of tickets to the press preview, Wednesday the 18th is my new favorite day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gintonious wrote: »
    Just got confirmation of tickets to the press preview, Wednesday the 18th is my new favorite day.

Have I ever told you how great a person I think you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Heh looks like the Lighthouse screening sold out so they're selling tickets for screen 2 there now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

maximoose wrote: »
    Have I ever told you how great a person I think you are?

You can tell all you want man, it's only admission for 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Heading to the press screening too next Wednesday. Hopefully I'm not forced to sign a giant NDA before watching it :D

Advertisement