Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Bales Batman die or something and someone else take the mantle up to be the next batman.
    I'm sure of this. Reasons;

1 When chatting to Catwoman he says he hasn't given everything yet
    2 All along, batman has been referred to more then a man, a legend.
    3 Has been said in interviews that a main caracter is going to die
    4 In one of the trailers it shows Bruce at the doctors getting all his ailments listed back to him..

As an aside, is it ever revealed who Alfred worked for prior to the Waynes?
    He tells in TDK of how him and his mates were in Burma on the hunt for a thief.
    I always liked the idea that Thomas Wayne hired a mercenary/body guard for his son. So you'd have Alfred being this mild mannered butler, but could go back to his mercenary days if necessary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

A friend and I were speaking in relation of the movie and was saying that this was the end for Nolan/Bale would they have at the end of the movie like in some of the comics Bales Batman die or something and someone else take the mantle up to be the next batman. Doi not know if this has been discussed so sorry if it has

It's looking a strong possibility at this stage that Bruce will die, but I don't think someone will take up his mantle. I watched BB last night and I think there is a lot of foreshadowing in the conversation between Bruce and Alfred on the plane.

Bruce says people need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy, while Alfred says that his parents' death shocked the wealthy into action. So whatever Bruce does at the end of this film, I'm expecting it to be so monumental that it unites the people of Gotham to the point where they stand up and fight for each other, rather than needing a guy dressed as a bat to fight their battles for them.

One of the themes in this film seems to be wealthy -v- poor, which sees the social classes turn against each other. I'm guessing that somewhere along the line Bruce is either exposed or reveals to the people that he's Batman before sacrificing himself. There's your dramatic example. The dumb ass billionaire playboy of Gotham showing the people, both rich and poor, who he really is. It would show the poor that someone really does care, while showing the wealthy that they do have the power to make things better in Gotham. It would unite Gotham, and destroy the seeds of destruction laid by Bane.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Squ wrote: »

As an aside, is it ever revealed who Alfred worked for prior to the Waynes?
    He tells in TDK of how him and his mates were in Burma on the hunt for a thief.
    I always liked the idea that Thomas Wayne hired a mercenary/body guard for his son. So you'd have Alfred being this mild mannered butler, but could go back to his mercenary days if necessary..

So, Alfred will take up the mantle then

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So, Alfred will take up the mantle then

Tangerineman

It's looking a strong possibility at this stage that Bruce will die, but I don't think someone will take up his mantle. I watched BB last night and I think there is a lot of foreshadowing in the conversation between Bruce and Alfred on the plane.

Bruce says people need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy, while Alfred says that his parents' death shocked the wealthy into action. So whatever Bruce does at the end of this film, I'm expecting it to be so monumental that it unites the people of Gotham to the point where they stand up and fight for each other, rather than needing a guy dressed as a bat to fight their battles for them.

One of the themes in this film seems to be wealthy -v- poor, which sees the social classes turn against each other. I'm guessing that somewhere along the line Bruce is either exposed or reveals to the people that he's Batman before sacrificing himself. There's your dramatic example. The dumb ass billionaire playboy of Gotham showing the people, both rich and poor, who he really is. It would show the poor that someone really does care, while showing the wealthy that they do have the power to make things better in Gotham. It would unite Gotham, and destroy the seeds of destruction laid by Bane.

I like that idea of the classes at odds with each other, in Begins Rachel shows Bruce that the depression never went away its just hidden, it kinda ties into the who Occupy movement as well, Bane is show in the stock exchange and on the steps of I guess Gotham city hall or something, its like a more extreme version of hippies in tents except he's blowing sh1t up and has a personal army :pac:

Im really interested to see how the events play out, like is Bruce retired at the beginning? does Bane cripple him and he comes back? is he crippled at all? the trailers have shown a good bit of footage but the context isnt very clear for a lot of it. I remember seeing the TDK trailer and thinking it showed half the film but it doesnt. unlike some other movies (looking at you Prometheus!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Batman pretty much has to die in order to justify the "legend ends" tagline. Whether that also involves Bruce dying remains to be seen. If you listen to what Rachel tells Bruce at the end of Begins, it feels like Nolan was laying out a possible ending in which Gotham would one day no longer need Batman and Bruce would be able to move on with his life. However, Rachel is dead now and personally I'd prefer a tragic ending in which he sacrifices himself.

Batman pretty much has to die in order to justify the "legend ends" tagline. Whether that also involves Bruce dying remains to be seen. If you listen to what Rachel tells Bruce at the end of Begins, it feels like Nolan was laying out a possible ending in which Gotham would one day no longer need Batman and Bruce would be able to move on with his life. However, Rachel is dead now and personally I'd prefer a tragic ending in which he sacrifices himself.

Can't wait to see it, it'll either be a tragic or bittersweet ending I cant see this ending on a happy note. Wonder will he kill Bane? Batman doesnt kill people but is Bane someone he could risk having in prison given his private army, it could be something to do with the league of shadows from Begins as well.

8 days! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Batman Begins is on Tuesday 17th and Dark Knight is on Thursday 19th in Wexford Omniplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

62286.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's kinda weird seeing this film coming out now after this thread has been going for so long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Ah it seems like the end of an era, 2 years of talking about the movie,

Next friday 8.30 in cineworld,

Shall be in the woolshed prior for a drink if anyone else is around,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

allanb49 wrote: »

Shall be in the woolshed prior for a drink if anyone else is around,

BatBeers! Cant make it Friday, enjoy!

I wouldn't read too much into the legend ends tagline, it could be alluding to a number of things, one being the end of The Dark Knight trilogy. It could be a case of trying to mislead too as a lot of the marketing seems to be focusing on what I assume is Batman's initial beatdown at the hands of Bane.

If Nolan has gone down the route of killing Batman, I'd prefer it if he went the full hog and killed off Bruce too. Maybe I'm reading too much into the comic universe (which is in direct loggerheads with everything Nolan as been saying :pac:) but I just can't see Bruce ever willingly walking away from Batman while being happy to do it. Then again, it's all in the execution I suppose.
    krudler wrote: »
    Can't wait to see it, it'll either be a tragic or bittersweet ending I cant see this ending on a happy note. Wonder will he kill Bane? Batman doesnt kill people but is Bane someone he could risk having in prison given his private army, it could be something to do with the league of shadows from Begins as well.

8 days! :D

I'd say bittersweet, Just from listening to the final track of the soundtrack (yes I gave in :pac:), Rise starts with quite a booming sound, almost uplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A week tomorrow :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

cloud493 wrote: »
    A week tomorrow :D:D:D
    Might think about unsubscribing from this thread actually; with the release date approaching it's only a matter of time before Grey Text covers this thread from top to bottom, rendering it useless to those who haven't seen DKR yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Might think about unsubscribing from this thread actually; with the release date approaching it's only a matter of time before Grey Text covers this thread from top to bottom, rendering it useless to those who haven't seen DKR yet.

I think Sad Professor said there's going to be a seperate "Seen" thread, so that might not be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think an un-subscription from social media in general will be required from next Wednesday until you've seen it! :D

I'd say bittersweet, Just from listening to the final track of the soundtrack (yes I gave in :pac:), Rise starts with quite a booming sound, almost uplifting.

the itunes version has extra tracks, The End is the final track on that, not sure if its the last part of the film or the end credits, Rise is on the one I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Noice!

TDK_Jock_novillains-WB.jpg?1342054870

• Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is he supposed to be Iron Man or something with that triangle piece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Basq wrote: »
    I think an un-subscription from social media in general will be required from next Wednesday until you've seen it! :D
    Trinity
    dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Going to watch Batman Begins tonight, time to get the ball rolling.

Speaking of BB, I have actually changed my mind recently: TDK has become my preferred film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I actually watched batman begins relatively recently and thought it was a much better movie then I had first thought. Might give it another watch before rises too.

Ticket is booked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

tok9 wrote: »
    I actually watched batman begins relatively recently and thought it was a much better movie then I had first thought. Might give it another watch before rises too.

i really appreciate how well they put the story together! Great movie in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Tomorrow week.....
    Tickets booked....

Job done :D:D

I'm not sure if I liked BB that much. I saw the dark knight first though, might have something to do with it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I rewatched both films the last couple of nights. I've always maintained BB is more of a Batman movie than TDK, but I've kind of re-evalutaed my stance now. As much as I like BB it just can't match TDK for intensity, I enjoyed re-watching BB but there's just so much more at stake in TDK. Plus the rise and fall of Harvey and the portrayal of Joker are just pure cinematic gold as well as the truest representation of the characters we're ever likely to see outside of a comic book or the animated series.

Having said that, my favourite scene out of the two films is still the final scene in BB with Bats and Gordon taken straight out of Year One :)

I really hope Nolan knocks this one out of the park, can't believe its only a week or so away!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Rewatched both films there recently.

BB is still my favourite of the two, nothing can compete with ninjas and Liam Nesson.

Advertisement