Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

BB is comfortably ahead of TDK IMO. His foe ( Ra's Al Gul) is a physical match for batman which people forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

BB is comfortably ahead of TDK IMO. His foe ( Ra's Al Gul) is a physical match for batman which people forget.
    Ah, he beat him handy enough in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Seriously considering going to a 5am showing.....

Work at 9am though so this may not be the best of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Just love Begins, I guess at the time hadnt seen that much coverage of it and remember thinking the trailer was poor, went in with low expectation and was just blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Squ wrote: »

I wouldn't say beat him handy! It was tight enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Squ wrote: »

I wouldn't say beat him handy! It was tight enough.
    That's just because he was making it dramatic for the audience. If the cameras wern't on him he'd have finished him quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just rewatched both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this past week. I'm a big fan of BB too but it is no match to TDK. It lacks a really great villain and it had Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes. Maggie Gyllenhaal is the vastly superior actress.

I was similar to Bullvine above in that I remember going to see BB with low expectations. The trailer didn't impress me and I can't remember if there was any great hype around it. When it was over I was talking about it for days. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gonna go see 'The Amazing Spiderman' this weekend.. but gonna crack open my BB / TDK Blu-ray set next week for a rewatch.

Been a couple of years since I watched BB so looking forward to it actually!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Soundtrack is now available to buy on iTunes.

Soundtrack is now available to buy on iTunes.

Since it's been on Empire I've listening to it on repeat. Without doubt my favourite score of the 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i have offered a radio station me in drag (wonderwoman) for tickets to Wednesday showing, is that bad?

allanb49 wrote: »
    i have offered a radio station me in drag (wonderwoman) for tickets to Wednesday showing, is that bad?

It's commitment, I'll give you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Since it's been on Empire I've listening to it on repeat. Without doubt my favourite score of the 3.

I love how it uses themes from the previous two movies, every time the chant is worked into the score it makes it even more epic. "Fear Will Find You" is my favourite track.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

no doubt most have it on DVD etc, but Batman Begins is on UTV/ITV tonight. I just re watched the Dark Knight last weekend. Nice for the build up to the release of the Dark Knight Rises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really like "The End", sounds like Vangelis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Swords cinema is showing BB/TDK back to back on the thursday... tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Watched Year One lastnight, watching BB with the mrs tomorrow night and will watch TDK on Tuesday.

I don't think I can get any more hyped at this stage. Cannot wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Zimmer has done some immense work on these soundtracks. I marginally prefer The Dark Knight, but this is excellent too. Excited to hear what he'll do with Superman now. And still disappointed that Horner was appointed to do Spiderman.

Zimmer has done some immense work on these soundtracks. I marginally prefer The Dark Knight, but this is excellent too. Excited to hear what he'll do with Superman now. And still disappointed that Horner was appointed to do Spiderman.

Horner has done a few great soundtracks, Aliens and The Rocketeer are both amazing, he's been phoning it in for years now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Tickets booked for the double bill on Tuesday and then off to see the main event on Friday. Going to have to go to work so going media blackout from 19th till after 8pm show in Swan Cinema.....
    Saying that, i'm totally hyped up at this stage.
    Cant
    Freakin
    Wait......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

While I love the various Batman OST's, I have a real soft spot for Inception..

Part of the problem with Zimmer and Horner is that they became popular temp track material. I strongly suspect they frequently come onto films where there's already a temp track in place consisting of their old scores and the director tells them "do it exactly like this". This is how they are able to do 5 scores a year because they aren't really writing any new music, they are just re-scoring old cues.

Composers rarely talk about it, but this kind of bullying by directors is rife in Hollywood. Danny Elfman had a massive falling out with Sam Raimi over it on Spider-Man 2. Same thing with Peter Jackson and Howard Shore on King Kong.

Part of the problem with Zimmer and Horner is that they became popular temp track material. I strongly suspect they frequently come onto films where there's already a temp track in place consisting of their old scores and the director tells them "do it exactly like this". This is how they are able to do 5 scores a year because they aren't really writing any new music, they are just re-scoring old cues.

Composers rarely talk about it, but this kind of bullying by directors is rife in Hollywood. Danny Elfman had a massive falling out with Sam Raimi over it on Spider-Man 2. Same thing with Peter Jackson and Howard Shore on King Kong.

As in the composers don't want to write new stuff or they do and are told not to? no wonder so many scores sound identical, sure how many trailers now have something similar to the Inception "bwaaaarrrggghhh" horn sound on them.

There's a good part on the making of Aliens on the blu-ray where Horner talks about the pressures of writing action cues for movies when the pacing and editing of the scene isnt fully in place, you can see where composers must be driven nuts if directors keep changing scenes and shots which affect the flow of the score as the music no longer matches the action beats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I love what Zimmer has done with the scores for this franchise, but the only gripe I'd have is that some of the stuff is repetitive. It really is a shame because of the new stuff that he has created for TDKR, it is plain to see that the man is still immensely talented.

Then again, what is repetitiveness to me is consistency to another so one can see it in a number of ways.

I think repetition of themes is inevitable given that's the third film in the series. It's probably not as enjoyable from a soundtrack listening perspective, but it's best for the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Basq wrote: »
    While I love the various Batman OST's, I have a real soft spot for Inception..
    Time is just awesome. Really like 528491 too

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But he's not a threat for most of the film, the Joker is a constant threat from the first frame. Joker actually feels dangerous from the off where as I don't think Ra's really did, Joker almost breaks Batman mentally and absolutely obliterates Dent. Ra's knows a bit of karate sure but he wasn't a great villain. In many ways Joker actually wins at the end because of what happened to Dent.

I think they under used Ra's a bit(and scarecrow for that matter), in the books and that Ra's is a much more formidable foe than he seems in BB.

I love what Zimmer has done with the scores for this franchise, but the only gripe I'd have is that some of the stuff is repetitive. It really is a shame because of the new stuff that he has created for TDKR, it is plain to see that the man is still immensely talented.

Then again, what is repetitiveness to me is consistency to another so one can see it in a number of ways.

I like that some of the themes are reused, it makes sense really, the new stuff is excellent overall though, Gothams Reckoning is a powerhouse of a track, loved the sample of it in the trailer, think it was trailer #3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

tok9 wrote: »
    Time is just awesome. Really like 528491 too

That tune is possibly the single greatest track ever used in a movie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think repetition of themes is inevitable given that's the third film in the series. It's probably not as enjoyable from a soundtrack listening perspective, but it's best for the film.

Oh absolutely, I think Why Do We Fall will be a great example of this.
    krudler wrote: »
    I like that some of the themes are reused, it makes sense really, the new stuff is excellent overall though, Gothams Reckoning is a powerhouse of a track, loved the sample of it in the trailer, think it was trailer #3

Absolutely, all of the tracks leave you with wanting more, which is the ultimate compliment to Zimmer I suppose.

Advertisement