Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

So me and the wife where in Radio Nova this morning,

Had to go on the luas and around O'Connell Street and get people to sing Nanananananananan Nova!!

So managed to scare a tour group into doing it full of English, American and Japanese people,

Then back on the luas had a little boys eyes light up cause BATMAN IS ON THE LUAS!!!!

Some skangers threw a bottle at Batmans head, Batman was not impressed,

And accosted another group of girls going to training in the IFSC for training to do the nananananan too

In the end won two tickets to the premiere for that

3660_10150967211908667_1777826396_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MJ23 wrote: »
    Where did you see that?
    As I said.. I think I remember it being in one of the Mike Engel newscasts. Can't remember which one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kenny Brockelstein

does anyone know how the savoy seating plan for screen 1 works? i've tried googling it and ringing them but no joy. is it row a-z from the screen to the back seats and is it seat 1-?? from the left edge of the cinema to the right edge of the cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

100% on RT after 10 reviews.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder will there be any sly nods to The Dark Knight Returns with the 8 year lay off in the story, wouldn't that be nice? :D

The main thing I've taken from the trailers so far is that they've more or less completely neglected to mention
    Talia Al Ghul & The League of Shadows

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'd avoid reading the Hollywood reporter reviews, thought it would be a general review like the rest. Far too many specifics detailed, had to stop reading it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All the reviews so far seem very positive, many of them from reputable critics like Todd McCarthy and Justin Chang. There's a few minor complaints: too long, too fast, too much plot, all of which is par for the course with Nolan, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah the length does seem to be a common complaint. Personally I think modern blockbusters aren't lean enough and a lot of directors confuse "epic" with "overlong". As much as I love TDK it's not as rewatchable for me because the boat moral dilemma scene goes on so long and really only works once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

the boat moral dilemma scene goes on so long and really only works once.

Speaking of this scene.. I watched TDK on Sat and I dont know how, but I never noticed your man from Renford Rejects in it before :pac:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX6xJo83Kgb69UW76RGEHH0h3oGfkXfv8y1SJcilR0uTPzC7I0

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm curious, how long has Bruce Wayne been Batman in Nolan's universe.. Presumably there is only a few months or so between BB and TDK. It seems a bit silly that this so called Legend has only been actively on the scene in Gotham for a few months. Surely they should have made it so his bat tenure spans at least several years.

Its around a year isnt it, the joker says "a year ago these cops and lawyers wouldnt dream of touching you" to the mob bosses when talking about killing Batman so I guess just under that, plenty of time to be built up as a legend by street thugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Any suggestions what would the best quality cinema (screen and sound) to watch the dark knight on?

I know we don't have an IMAX anymore but what's the next best thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some of the comic fans at SHH and the like have been going nuts about Batman's career only lasting 6 months to a year. Personally I like it. It's more realistic and takes account of the physical difficulties of being Batman. It also shows the difference he manages to make in that short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Yeah the length does seem to be a common complaint. Personally I think modern blockbusters aren't lean enough and a lot of directors confuse "epic" with "overlong". As much as I love TDK it's not as rewatchable for me because the boat moral dilemma scene goes on so long and really only works once.

The boat scene was the weakest point of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

Just booked my ticket for friday for 05:30,just want to know is there many people going to go at this time or am i only the one mad enough to go at such an hour.right before going to work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

krudler wrote: »
    Its around a year isnt it, the joker says "a year ago these cops and lawyers wouldnt dream of touching you" to the mob bosses when talking about killing Batman so I guess just under that, plenty of time to be built up as a legend by street thugs

"let's wind the clocks back a year, these cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you"

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    Just booked my ticket for friday for 05:30,just want to know is there many people going to go at this time or am i only the one mad enough to go at such an hour.right before going to work as well.

The lighthouse have nearly sold out 3 screens worth for their 5am showing

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I would advise people not to read the reviews on rotten tomatoes - even the non-spoiler ones have certain language/phrases that give the end away (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Yaahooo!!!

Just won tickets to the premier on Radio Nova!!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I see UCI/Odeon are doing a 6 am viewing in Newbridge. Could well be tempted into that before work on Friday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Weird, Empireonline.com.au doesn't have the review, but the .com site does.
    We're getting the movie 12hrs or so before you guys, would have expected a NZ/AU Empire review to have had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I watch BB last night, 6 years since I have last seen it. I really did forget what a masterpiece it is.

Watched it last night too. Superb movie. watched it a few times at this stage but like yourself I forgot how good it was.

Will be watching the Dark Knight tonight in preperation for a movie I've been looking forward to since the end of TDK.

I fear I'm building it up too much!! Trying to avoid reviews and reading threads where people have seen it early!!!

Dancor wrote: »
    Yaahooo!!!

Just won tickets to the premier on Radio Nova!!!! :D:D:D:D

For people heading the the premiere up for meeting for a pre pint in the living room just around the corner from the savoy

Also when you pick up your tickets say Allan says hi and thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

quad_red wrote: »
    Any suggestions what would the best quality cinema (screen and sound) to watch the dark knight on?

I know we don't have an IMAX anymore but what's the next best thing?

vue liffey valley screen 1 or cineworld screen 17

Re: Vue, screen 1, 2 and I think 5 are the same size. Screen 1 just has the most seats.

From David Poland's spoiler-free review:
    The Dark Knight Rises is the movie a filmmaker makes after they have earned the freedom to break the mold and to reach for something bigger than the franchise. Some people love that. Some people hate that. I am in the former camp.

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/07/review-ish-the-dark-knight-rises-spoiler-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

some (spoiler free) review quotes from various places:
    Without spilling any beans, we can safely say that it lives up to all expectations and is a testament to epic storytelling.
    Don’t be surprised to see Caine honoured at the Oscars, or to see The Dark Knight Rises vie for Best Picture.
    The Dark Knight Rises (PG-13): Director Christopher Nolan brings his Batman trilogy to a triumphant close with this epic-length (nearly three hours) comic-book adventure that makes The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man seem like trinket toys.
    I’m not exaggerating by stating that if this film does not win best picture - then no comic book film ever will.
    It was intense. It was a really dark film but some of the themes that they were covering were just unbelievable.
    let's just say the film ended in typical Christopher Nolan fashion - to our utter astonishment.

...is it Friday yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Friday is so close yet so far!

Couldn't be much more from the heart
    Forever trusting who we are
    and nothing else matters

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Going to see it on Saturday. Based on these reviews I think I can safely say, it's not the trilogy we deserved, but it's the one we needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

So they are showing a double bill of BB and TDK tomorrow in Bristol. Even though I just watched BB I will defo be going to this. Catch them both again on the Big Screen.

Then I'm seriously thinking of heading to either London or Cardiff on saturday for the IMAX version of TDKR.

Either way from this moment on I'm going to be like Batman and live in a cave. Apart from watching and playing Batman games I'm not going to be doing anything that could possibly give me a clue as to what is going to happen in this movie.

Advertisement