Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm delighted. I'm surprised many would question Nolan on this. He's done nothing but greatness. If he makes something bad I'll question him, until then, not. And Bane sounds like a fantastic bad guy for him to interpret. Not just because he's one of my favorite Batman bad guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

When I first heard Anne Hathaway's name for Catwoman, I wasn't sure. A little to....wholesome, maybe.

But now that I think about it, she could probably do a really good, deranged, Brittany Murphy in Don't Say a Word like portrayal.

Nolan's no idiot. This could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I really cannot stand Anne Hathaway. I'm sure Nolan will bend her to his will and get a good Catwoman from her...I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Bane is a highly intelligent character in the comics - he just happens to be built like a brick ****house.

He's also been involved with the League of Shadows in the comic - which would bring things full circle rather neatly.

As for Selina Kyle - personally I think she needs to be in a Nolan batmovie, theres no mention of her playing catwoman though - although I would expect catwoman to make an appearance. Hathaway wouldn't have been my first choice to be honest, but Nolan very rarely gets it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman???

I for one thought that Heath Ledger would ruin The Joker when I first heard it announced and was delighted to be proved so spectacularly wrong by Nolan & Co.....think I'll wait for the flick this time instead of rushing to judgement ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I suspect that Selina Kyle will not become Catwoman until the very end leaving it open for a spin off/continuation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

christopher nolan...We didnt trust you when you announced Heath Ledger for the joker and you proved us wrong. So benefit of doubt has been granted for casting Anne Hathaway as catwoman. But questions do arise.

firstly...you've seen bride wars right? I know a friend of my sister worked on it and cries himself to sleep when he thinks about it.

Secondly...what is your love for casting the actors from brokeback mountain as villains? Did Ang Lee piss in your cereal? Are you just trying to piss of jake gyllenhall by casting everyone around him? If so cant wait for Randy Quaid as Riddler. You can be really morbid and cast Michelle williams as harley quinn and linda cardelini as talia. Strangely these would all be awesome castings.

Finally, have you seen her smile?

observe:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/AnneHathawayJan10.jpg/220px-AnneHathawayJan10.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Anne_Hathaway_2008.jpg/170px-Anne_Hathaway_2008.jpg

About as sexy as a surprised chipmunk!

On Hardy as Bane... I suspect they will play up the intelligent drug dealer side of him more so then the super powered strongman. Bane is actually quite ruthless and cunning in the comic so Tom Hardy could do him justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looks like we're going Knightfall with this film.
    I think Banes a great choice for Nolans universe considering his biggest asset was never his strength, it was his pure intelligence in systematically figuring out and complete destruction of bruce wayne/batman without ever even laying a hand on him.
    Of course once the original Knightfall saga was out of the way he did get classed as a pure mindless brawler a bit, especially in other media

Yep Bane is an excellent choice. He is smarter than Batman, and is easily his equal when it comes to the strategic side of things. Throw in his photographic memory and top notch detective skills and he make for a formidable enemy before we even mention his extensive knowledge and experience in many fighting skills and martial arts.

Of course there is the small matter of his augmented strength as well:D

Even his augmented strength could be worked into the Nolan take on the Batman universe albeit on a lesser scale. Bane without his steroid juice, venom, was still a man whose body was trained to be at the very peak of physical condition.

Hush would have been my dream bad guy for the film, but I am very happy to see Bane as the bad guy. If he is done right and they mould the movie version of Bane around the personality of he has in the Knightfall/Knightquest/KnightsEnd trilogy, then it should be a winner.

Of course another option would be to borrow from the Legacy storyline somewhat which has Bane without his venom to augment his strength and that storyline could be used to tie in with Ra's al Ghul, as he and Bane worked together in the comics for a spell, which could bring us to the reason as to why Ra's al Ghul's daughter is in Nolan's third visit to Gotham.

I think the best thing about Bane as the man badguy is the fact he is totally sane, and genarally quite lucid in his mannerisms. If handled right Bane could be a better nemesis for Nolan's Batman than the Joker was in The Dark Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Dang I was hoping for Eva Green or Naomi Watts for Catwoman, I hope Hathaway can pull it off.

And I almost forgot Hardy was in Bronson, I was wondering there for a minute, should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bane I'm happy with but Catwoman ,oh no .:o
    I'm guessing Catwoman will have a peripheral role in the movie ,which could work ,there is no way it would work if she were to be the main villain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hmm.

tumblr_lfa89s5TzG1qan0z2o1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hardy obviously isn't going to be a mutant or whatever Bane is in the comics, but I don't think Nolan can leave out the huge physical strength aspect of Bane's character. At least half of the appeal of Bane as a villain is that he is a proper physical match for Batman. If he doesn't effectively break Batman, proving that Batman does indeed have physical limits as Alfred warned in TDK, then I think Nolan will have failed to fully take advantage of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Hmm.

tumblr_lfa89s5TzG1qan0z2o1_500.jpg

Whats the deal with this?
    Everything about this movie i like expect catwoman!Hardy is going to rule as bane,I want to see the bats getting his ass kicked.Any sign of Cilian Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    christopher nolan...We didnt trust you when you announced Heath Ledger for the joker and you proved us wrong. So benefit of doubt has been granted for casting Anne Hathaway as catwoman. But questions do arise.

firstly...you've seen bride wars right? I know a friend of my sister worked on it and cries himself to sleep when he thinks about it.

Secondly...what is your love for casting the actors from brokeback mountain as villains? Did Ang Lee piss in your cereal? Are you just trying to piss of jake gyllenhall by casting everyone around him? If so cant wait for Randy Quaid as Riddler. You can be really morbid and cast Michelle williams as harley quinn and linda cardelini as talia. Strangely these would all be awesome castings.

Finally, have you seen her smile?

observe:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/AnneHathawayJan10.jpg/220px-AnneHathawayJan10.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Anne_Hathaway_2008.jpg/170px-Anne_Hathaway_2008.jpg

About as sexy as a surprised chipmunk!

On Hardy as Bane... I suspect they will play up the intelligent drug dealer side of him more so then the super powered strongman. Bane is actually quite ruthless and cunning in the comic so Tom Hardy could do him justice.

I recently saw her getting rattled by the not dead fella from brokeback while she was suffering from Parkinsons....and I must admit....I masturbated furiously.....and chipmunks did not enter my mind for one moment....I think she will be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Bane I'm happy with but Catwoman ,oh no .:o
    I'm guessing Catwoman will have a peripheral role in the movie ,which could work ,there is no way it would work if she were to be the main villain.

That's what I'm hoping too, similar to what Scarecrow was in Begins, definitely not the main villain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

sweet!!!! i have no low or high expection now until i see more pics but i am so excited!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah, Bane :/

Was kind've hoping for the Hugo Strange / Black Mask combo that was been talked about around these parts. (Perhaps one of them will still appear...).

But maybe, hopefully, Nolan will take some elements of back story / motivations of these characters and put them together with his version of Bane. Could be interesting, as the comicbook version of Bane doesn't sound as interesting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I think she's decent, not great by any means, but reliable all the same. That's all she has to be really for this role I think. Plus, under Nolan's guidance I'm hopeful that she can give an above average performance. Also, I think she can do sexy. ;)

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo281/Gato-Chico/shades.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pieml.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Any chance we could see Catwoman playing the Azrael role?
    Catwoman's a surpising choice, but I reckon Nolan will deliver.

• Advertisement

Hardy obviously isn't going to be a mutant or whatever Bane is in the comics, but I don't think Nolan can leave out the huge physical strength aspect of Bane's character. At least half of the appeal of Bane as a villain is that he is a proper physical match for Batman. If he doesn't effectively break Batman, proving that Batman does indeed have physical limits as Alfred warned in TDK, then I think Nolan will have failed to fully take advantage of the character.

Bane is a regular human in the comics, not a mutant or superpowered being a la Superman.

Even when Bane did not use his venom to boost his strength, his strength levels were that of a person who had trained their body to the maximum leves that a human can reach. So he would be stronger that the majority of people regardless.

His venom that increased his strength was pretty much a super steroid mixed with adrenaline, so that concept could be used on some level in Nolan's universe.

So regardless of whether it is Bane with venom or without, if Nolan draws his inspiration from the classic comic take on Bane, and there is no reason why he would not do so seeing as Ledger's Joker was defo inspired by the Killing Joke joker, then we will have a villain who can match and probably best Batman in pretty much every department.

It may be time for the Bat to be broken.

fitz wrote: »
    Any chance we could see Catwoman playing the Azrael role?
    Catwoman's a surpising choice, but I reckon Nolan will deliver.

Was thinking the same thing last night. Warner announced that Hathaway would be playing Selina Kyle, but they made no mention if she would be playing the alter ego that Selina Kyle has in the comics.

It got me thinking that maybe Nolan will throw in a curve ball like having Kyle step into an alternative take on the Azrael character from the original trilogy featuring Bane, or could he throw in a Talia al Ghul using the Selina Kyle name type twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I nearly crashed the figgin' car this morning when I heard the word 'Batman' 'Nolan' 'Catwoman' and 'Anne Hathaway' in the one sentence.

Anne Hathaway you have to be f*cking joking me. I have a serious dislike for this woman. I'm sick about this.

sick0021.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Surprised with Catwoman I must say, from the animated series and comics, she really only has one recurring story arc:
    Batman catches her robbing a place, she gets away.
    Batman catches her robbing another place, but there are another group of villians present and together they fight them off, she then gets away again, maybe stealing a kiss in the process.
    Batman in trouble near the end, and Catwoman helps.

Nothing wrong with this I suppose, I am not complaining, I do like the relationship between Catwoman and Batman, especially in the Hush storyline, but who knows what Nolan will do with her.

Delighted with Bane, I was hoping for either him or Hush, and to a lesser extent Black Mask.

Hopefully they do something similar to the Knightfall storyline. I think the whole Vemon aspect could be left out, but again who knows, Nolan could do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I could be wrong but didnt Nolan do an interview saying something like Riddler and Catwoman wouldnt fit in his Batman films :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but didnt Nolan do an interview saying something like Riddler and Catwoman wouldnt fit in his Batman films :confused:

I thought so too, you can add The Penguin to that too.

Nearly sure he ruled out them three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He ruled out the Riddler quite recently, but afaik Nolan never ruled out Catwoman. Around the time TDK came out, Goyer said he didn't feel it had to be Catwoman, but didn't rule her out, although he was misquoted by many blogs as having done so.

Everyone seems to be missing what was actually said in the Warner Borothers press release though. Both the WB reps and Nolan have not said the word Catwoman at any time. They keep saying Selina Kyle.

The WB rep guy when asked for conformation that Anne Hathaway was Catwoman responded with "Anne Hathaway will be playing the part of Selina Kyle". There was no reply confirming that she will be Catwoman in the film.

Yes Selina Kyle is Catwoman in the comics, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Nolan has something else in mind for the character of Selina Kyle, as I mentioned earlier in my curveball post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

People keep giving out about Anne Hathaway, and sure she stars in a lot of fluffy movies but Rachel Getting Married proved to me that the girl has acting chops.

Give her a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd think after Heath Ledger, people would be less reactionary & quick to dismiss the casting of Hathaway in hyperbolic terms. Oh well, guess the internet doesn't learn :D

Advertisement