Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

What's to say Anne Hathaway will be playing Catwoman exactly? Nolan can, and sometimes does, change the characters to suit his vision. Selina Kyle could simply be a love interest who happens to be a confident jewel theif.

She could be a love interest for Bruce Wayne moreso than Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Listening to your musings do excite me, I hear what you're saying about Bane. If it works out well it could be a heart thumping chase movie.

If it were almost anyone else bar Nolan doing the fim I might have reservations, but Nolan has proven to be such a fan/quick study of the source material that I am very confident of him bringing an excellent version of Bane to the big screen.

Throw in an actor like Hardy, and I think it is a recipe for something really really good.

I am fully expecting a take on Bane that will keep the comic fans happy, the general public happy, and have those who are only familiar with the cartoon version of Bane going "Holy sh*t".

As one of the comic book fans, the news that Bane is to be the main villain would only have been topped, for me, by having Hush in that role.

I am already anticipating a viral campaign with "I broke the Bat" or "I will break the Bat" type slogans.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

A viral campaign like that would be epic, I plan on getting the Knightfall saga over the next few weeks, would you suggest any others involving Bane kess?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Vengeance of Bane maybe, his origin story:
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Vengeance_of_Bane_Vol_1_1

Although I found it a bit silly, he's in prison in another country miles from Gotham and starts hearing about Batman so he decides to break out to go and beat him... why exactly?

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Vengeance of Bane maybe, his origin story:
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Vengeance_of_Bane_Vol_1_1

Although I found it a bit silly, he's in prison in another country miles from Gotham and starts hearing about Batman so he decides to go and beat him... why exactly?

Hmmmm, interesting......they could spin it alright, I imagine Bane would have an obsession with proving his worthiness given the habitat he grew up in. He'd just see Bats as the ultimate trophy in proving his superiority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How are people having a problem with Hathaway, shes a great fit for Catwoman:

anne+hathaway+05.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDkIlo6BJvy0tIim3c609U1HQOcV0yV1nIhUQbgzVI0k58dKgsMQ&t=1

A viral campaign like that would be epic, I plan on getting the Knightfall saga over the next few weeks, would you suggest any others involving Bane kess?

Knightfall
    Knightquest
    KnightsEnd

Would be the three to get to check out Bane.

Then maybe have a look for the Legacy storyline and some of the Secret Six graphic novels (many of these are to be released this year)

bane2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I reckon it's going to be Naomi Watts, hopefully for the role of Sarah Essen, and not Vicki Vale. :o Talia is still a real possibility too. IMO Bane is hired muscle regardless of how smarter he is than B&R led us to believe, and I could well see Talia as being the one that hires him.
    I'm very doubtful about the possibility of Talia making an appearance now. One femme fatale is enough. If there is indeed another female character still to be cast then they are likely to be the polar opposite of Catwoman. In film noir they are known as the madonna. Although Rachel already kinda filled that role.

Previous rumours suggested that Watts was busy shooting another film and was unavailable to meet, so maybe there'll be another announcement in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'm very doubtful about the possibility of Talia making an appearance now. One femme fatale is enough.

Except of course in the comics Bane did become Raj Ah Ghul's heir temporarily. So perhaps Bane may arrive with Talia in tow but instead of being a united front there is a conflict over vengence, completing her work etc etc. Talia does not necessary have to appear in her femme fatale role as a character she has the possibility for diverse reading. Catwoman/Salina Kyle has the same diversity too.

I do find the notion of bane being hired to be rather dull, I perfer my own thinking of him and Talia being two sides of the new leadership of the league of shadows and there is a layered conflict between them vs batman, each other and the past. The two previous Nolan films did run with the idea of layered or fractured villian alliances (joker + mob two alternating views and Raj + Scarecrow in more traditional major/minor villian role)

The thing about Talia is she can be played as a very straight character. Early in the theories alot of people were looking for penguin to fill in his more arms dealer role or strange to be filling in a role in cooperation with the police. Talia can easily take up either role (as a ruse with the police one obviously) and play up those roles without the preconception that she needs to at some point don a costume ala Bane/catwoman at some point.

From a long time and well respected member of another forum:
    Okay. Myself and a few others on these boards have known about Tom Hardy/Bane being the villain for a few months now. And a few will chime in here to show the validity of what I'm about to tell the Hype. And sorry DaCrassia that I never gave you this news you can post this though. I could not say anything because our source did not want to get in any trouble. But here it goes.

A few months back we heard from a reliable source that Tom Hardy actually did not know who he was playing (Not a big Bat fan I guess) but knew three things that Nolan had told him.
    1. He would have to get big again (Bronson size)
    2. He would wear a black mask (apparently I think he saw it)
    3. He would break Batman'smag-glass_10x10.gif back in the first act.

In reality our source never told us the name of the actual villain just these three things. Which in reality is pretty easy to deduct who it was.

I actually was laughing a lot (inside) when so many were saying it was Hugo we knew it was not.
    Now this source of info may have been just hinting to us who the villain was. However, I don't think so, these are things that we are thinking will be events in TDKR. Our source was right about Tom Hardy being Bane. So we trust them that this info may be legit since it was the original info we got on it being Bane.

So I figure I will open this thread up not only for this news that a few of us have known about for a while, but also to talk of the possibilities
    and events that may happen if Batman does indeed become broken....

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=346582

If true, good call from those of you who reckoned
    Batman would have his back broken in the first act.
    ****ing hell, this could be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

when i wacthed Batman Begins i keep thinking that it reminded me of Year One. if nolan takes parts from Knightfall saga this time we will be expecting some epic stuffs too :D

From a long time and well respected member of another forum:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=346582

If true, good call from those of you who reckoned
    Batman would have his back broken in the first act.
    ****ing hell, this could be epic.

Cool we may indeed get...

134995-50238-bane_super.png

:D

seraphimvc wrote: »
    when i wacthed Batman Begins i keep thinking that it reminded me of The First Year. if nolan takes parts from Knightfall saga this time we will be expecting some epic stuffs too :D

Yep Batman Begins had a fair few influences from Year One, and The Dark Knight took bits from Year One and The Long Halloween amongst others.

I have a feeling that the Dark Knight Rises will be influenced by The Long Halloween (Selina Kyle/catwoman bits) and the already discussed Knightfall trilogy.

I still think that there will be some influence from the Legacy storyline as well which is why I am convinced we will see Talia al Ghul in her normal anti hero role which mean no costume or anything like that needed for her. She could be just like the comic version, highly trained in terms of self defence, yet not in the costume world.

She would be a nice touch as she is torn between her loyalties to her father, his/her business empire, much of it illegal, and her love for BruceWayne/Batman. Batman would in turn be torn between his feelings for her and his repulsion of her links to the crime world, and throw in his attraction to Selina Kyle to create a triangle.

All topped off with a Bane shaped cherry. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, colour me skeptical about message board posters on comic sites claiming to have inside knowledge of the film before the script even left Chris Nolan's garage.

But if Bane is going to break/ beat up Batman the end of the first act is the only time it can happen. It can't happen at the end of the second act as that gives him no time to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Well, colour me skeptical about message board posters on comic sites claiming to have inside knowledge of the film before the script even left Chris Nolan's garage.

But if Bane is going to break/ beat up Batman the end of the first act is the only time it can happen. It can't happen at the end of the second act as that gives him no time to recover.

And if it happens won't batman be captured, unless he has a new utility belt with something that helps him escape.

fontanalis wrote: »
    And if it happens won't batman be captured, unless he has a new utility belt with something that helps him escape.

He would not be captured if the breaking of his back happened at the same location as it did in the comics, and the same set up and cover up would work nicely in the film as it was quite a realistic cover up to use as to how a billionaire like Bruce Wayne ended up with a broken back.

If he does get broken in the 2nd act he can totally recover before the credits, one word: MONTAGE! :D

The word "Rises" in the film title is kind of a clue about the possibility of a recovery storyline do you guys think?
    It's also a counterpoint to the Knightfall title of the comic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I really, really don't want it to be The Dark Knight Rises Out of a Wheelchair.

A good, hard physical confrontation yes, but I would be worried about the handling of breaking his back. I don't see how it could work over one movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

BopNiblets wrote: »
    If he does get broken in the 2nd act he can totally recover before the credits, one word: MONTAGE! :D

The word "Rises" in the film title is kind of a clue about the possibility of a recovery storyline do you guys think?
    It's also a counterpoint to the Knightfall title of the comic...

Now I'm waiting for something like a Rocky movie.
    Random clips of Bruce slowly getting stronger, lifting weights, etc. Then he starts running through Philadelphia Gotham City, getting more and more juiced up, then reaches the top of the steps, symbolising his new found strength, stamina, and edge, and throws his fits in the air in triumph. All with an inspirational 80s orchestral track (with a punchy bass line) playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

catwomananneposter.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Anybody else really wish this was a 2 parter given that the Knighfall storyline looks to be a big influence? Two films, the first finishing with the broken bat, man that would be epic! Or just let Nolan make a 4 hour flick like he nearly could've done on TDK!

niallon wrote: »
    Anybody else really wish this was a 2 parter given that the Knighfall storyline looks to be a big influence? Two films, the first finishing with the broken bat, man that would be epic! Or just let Nolan make a 4 hour flick like he nearly could've done on TDK!
    No! Two hours and twenty minutes is more than enough. I'm sick of all these bloody two-parters. They are all money-making scams to get people to pay to see the same film twice. Kill Bill, Harry Potter, The Hobbit - none of them needed to be split in two IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

No! Two hours and twenty minutes is more than enough. I'm sick of all these bloody two-parters. They are all money-making scams to get people to pay to see the same film twice. Kill Bill, Harry Potter, The Hobbit - none of them needed to be split in two IMO.
    I dunno.... I'd prefer to have a 2 - part film rather than a single rushed film. The Hobbit, while I disagree with the need for 2 parts now, I'll reserve judgement for when I see it. As for Kill Bill, I agree with you there!

That said, if Nolan thinks whatever he is planning on filming can fit within 1 film then that's good enough for me. He's pretty good with establishing a good pace in his films.... in Nolan I trust :)

Now I'm waiting for something like a Rocky movie.
    Random clips of Bruce slowly getting stronger, lifting weights, etc. Then he starts running through Philadelphia Gotham City, getting more and more juiced up, then reaches the top of the steps, symbolising his new found strength, stamina, and edge, and throws his fits in the air in triumph. All with an inspirational 80s orchestral track (with a punchy bass line) playing in the background.
    Exactly!
    Instead of punching frozen meat he can tie up some thugs and punch them instead!
    And when he gets to the top of the stairs and jumps around punching the air a bit, he can jump off the other side and fly away like at the end of Begins, then a quit cut to the black screen:
    "The Dark Knight Rises"
    Roll credits! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Completely agree with those examples you have there, but I genuinely think that Nolan's Batman series deserves and epic finale and I don't think that one film of normal running time can cover that! I mean c'mon, the guy has only contributed a total of 4 hours and 50 minutes to the Batman universe, let's get it to double figures! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The two part movie is nowt but a marketing ploy to get you sitting in a cinema seat twice. This is the case with the vast majority of examples.

It's like 3D. I like to think Christopher Nolan has the integrity and sway to get past cheap gimmicks like that. If you can't tell your story in 180 minutes (at a maximum, and you'd better make a damn good case for it being that long), or preferably 150 or less, then you need a better editor. Again, barring very very few exceptions, I'd very much consider that a rule. Quentin Tarantino could probably take it on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Is that poster fan-made? If so it's pretty bloody good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

qz wrote: »
    Is that poster fan-made? If so it's pretty bloody good!

Don't trust anything on the internet until the film's out :pac:

Even then, be wary!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Don't trust anything on the internet until the film's out :pac:

Even then, be wary!

I don't know if I should trust what you just said or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I hope it isn't offical. I'm presuming that is Catwoman along with a snowy Gotham (?) If it is, it only reminds me of 'Batman Returns' and that screams fanboy to me. If it's offical, I'd say Nolan is losing rapid interest in this series.

Advertisement