Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I can and I did and it was awesome.

Batman fight like that in a rotating hall... frickin awesome

That would be pretty cool alright but think JGL has the top spot for rotating hall fights at the mo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Glad to see JGL on board. I'd definitely share concerns of top-heaviness at this point - let's hope we're getting no more than one or two villains. That said, The Dark Knight kind of disproved the old theory that two villains in a superhero movie was a first step towards failure (the Joel Schumacher Batmans - OK, they had enough frickin' problems - Spiderman 3 etc..). While I'm sure many would argue Two Face's role feels a bit truncated, it would have been a much weaker film without the contrast and thematic focus Harvey Dent lent the film. I can't say Nolan going much more than two, but let's hope the new cast members are worthy additions rather than just Nolan's friends. Going by his previous work, I'm happy to assume the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

JGL could be Hugo Strange I guess, working with the police / Feds.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Vokes wrote: »
    JGL could be Hugo Strange I guess, working with the police / Feds.

I think he's too young to be Hugo Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I dunno. I think in the Nolan-verse, everything (mostly) is fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Being the new slimey and prickish DA could be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Thinking more about this and Jean Paul Valley could be a contender imo - if Bane is working alongside the League of Shadows, it could be that the Order of Dumas are introduced to the mix to help counter them.
    Especially if the story takes the broken bat aspect from Knightfall and Batman is out of action

Would require a serious amount of protein shakes though! Still reckoning on a cop / DA, or someone working with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Being the new slimey and prickish DA could be another option.

I think that is a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Joseph Gordon Levitt rumoured to play Alberto Falcone, but has been since updated to be pure speculation.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-joseph-gordonlevitt-play-alberto-falcone-the-dark-knight-rises/

That might work.

I really don't want him to be Alberto, and I hate the way some media outlets are reporting JGL to be a confirmed player in this film, as far as I know he's not.

Alberto is just murky water for me, I really don't think they are going to go down the holiday route. So what's the point in using the character other than reaching for some kind of half assed continuity within the franchise?

This film really doesn't need Alberto Falcone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

TDK didn't need Scarecrow either but it worked, even if he shows up in the trial of Alberto Falcone in the start that could be ok, shows us that Bats has been busy in the gap between the films!
    It's not like he rides the Batpod from the credits of TDK home and Bane is just standing there waiting for him! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a303543/cotillard-to-join-the-dark-knight-rises.html
    Marion Cotillard is rumoured to have joined the cast of Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises.
    Cotillard, who also starred in Nolan's previous film Inception, has allegedly signed on for Nolan's third Batman film, according to the French newspaper Le Figaro.
    "The actress, who is expecting a child in the spring with Guillaume Canet, will be scarce this year. She'll do a single film and her choice fell on Batman 3," read the article.
    Cotillard was rumoured for a role in The Dark Knight Rises last year. However, after the actress announced her pregnancy, it was believed that she would not be able to take a role in the highly-anticipated movie. The news remains unconfirmed as of yet.
    The Dark Knight Rises is scheduled to be released on July 20, 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Now they just need to get Ken Watanabe and Leonardo DiCaprio to pretty much complete the ensemble....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Now they just need to get Ken Watanabe and Leonardo DiCaprio to pretty much complete the ensemble....... :D
    They'd make for superb cameos, though I couldn't see Nolan risking kicking people out of the film. :)

I'm kind of wary of this kind of news. It's too easy a rumour to concoct, and people are hungry for news, so... well, this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Ken Watanabe has been in Nolan's Batman films - he was in Batman Begins. He is in the beginning with Liam Neeson.

mikhail wrote: »
    They'd make for superb cameos, though I couldn't see Nolan risking kicking people out of the film. :)

I'm kind of wary of this kind of news. It's too easy a rumour to concoct, and people are hungry for news, so... well, this happens.

Marion would be great as Talia al Ghul imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If it was any other director I'd call bs, but Nolan re-uses the same actors a lot, and JGL and Cotillard have been rumoured for quite some time. The evidence for Cotillard is much thinner, however. Only one source.

Getting back to Bane, I finished reading the first part of Knightfall recently and can understand why he is so popular. Looking at pictures of the character and reading a synopsis of Knightfall really doesn't do the character justice. He's best kind of villain because he's smarter than the protagonist. He doesn't succeed in beating Batman because he's stronger than him; it's because he's smarter than him. He systematically wears Batman now, all the while watching carefully, learning his weaknesses, and then when the time is right, he strikes.

At that point, though, Bane's superior strength is hardly a factor. Batman is so exhausted that even the Joker could have beat the crap out of him. So, having now read the comic, I actually don't see any issue with Bane fitting into Nolan's universe. The only issue is the venom business, which hardly plays a role in the first part of Knightfall. Therefore, I suspect that in Nolan's film Bane will just be someone who has worked his body to physical perfection like Batman himself. Perhaps he will also use steroids, but I don't think it's necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If it was any other director I'd call bs, but Nolan re-uses the same actors a lot, and JGL and Cotillard have been rumoured for quite some time. The evidence for Cotillard is much thinner, however. Only one source.

Getting back to Bane, I finished reading the first part of Knightfall recently and can understand why he is so popular. Looking at pictures of the character and reading a synopsis of Knightfall really doesn't do the character justice. He's best kind of villain because he's smarter than the protagonist. He doesn't succeed in beating Batman because he's stronger than him; it's because he's smarter than him. He systematically wears Batman now, all the while watching carefully, learning his weaknesses, and then when the time is right, he strikes.

At that point, though, Bane's superior strength is hardly a factor. Batman is so exhausted that even the Joker could have beat the crap out of him. So, having now read the comic, I actually don't see any issue with Bane fitting into Nolan's universe. The only issue is the venom business, which hardly plays a role in the first part of Knightfall. Therefore, I suspect that in Nolan's film Bane will just be someone who has worked his body to physical perfection like Batman himself. Perhaps he will also use steroids, but I don't think it's necessary.

*Spoiler alert---- I had to put a spoiler tag in my reply as you said you have only read the first book in the Kinghtfall trilogy**

The venom juice in the comics is a steroid based chemical, so it could be brought into the Nolan Bat universe pretty easily.

The great thing about Bane is that even without venom, he is still physically superior to Batman and a lot smarter, coupled with a near photographic memory.

The comic version of Bane is a man who worked his body to the absolute limits of peak physical condition, and venom was generally his ace in the hole should he need that bit extra in a situation, but generally he did not use it too much in the main storylines involving him.

I still think that the film will draw from the Knightfall trilogy and the Legacy storyline, as the latter
    was when Batman, Bruce Wayne version, finally got to beat Bane in a one on one fight something that never happened in the Knightfall trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Her pregnancy will soon sort that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Cotillard is in talks.

More interesting, however, it also says that Nolan is still looking for an actress to play the role of love interest and has met with Kate Winslet, Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts. I'm not sure if this is the same role Cotillard is in talks about.

• Advertisement

This is getting a tad mental, surely someone is taking on a bit role here? Maybe even more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

....Nolan is still looking for an actress to play the role of love interest and has met with Kate Winslet....

Oh dear God No!!!!

Really hope that does not come to pass....

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Cotillard is in talks.

More interesting, however, it also says that Nolan is still looking for an actress to play the role of love interest and has met with Kate Winslet, Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts. I'm not sure if this is the same role Cotillard is in talks about.

Compared to Bale as Batman/Bruce they seem alot older imo if they are to play a love interest maybe for Gordon

Anyways I think Hathaway and Cotillard could be enough for the film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Oh dear God No!!!!

Really hope that does not come to pass....

Really? I adore Kate Winslet, think she's one of the most talented and consistent actresses around these days. Someone like her - Weisz or Watts either, actually - would add a lot of class to the role and possibly bring something new to the table. Bale isn't young anymore, would definitely welcome any of their casting.

But all these casting rumours and speculation really make me fear an ultimately top heavy production. I have more faith in Nolan than that, but as countless superhero movies have proven less is often more. The closest thing to a flaw in the Dark Knight (bar the editing) is that there almost isn't enough time for all the narrative strands. Balancing the increasingly large cast of this - many of whom will be brand new characters - is going to be tricky.

Really? I adore Kate Winslet, think she's one of the most talented and consistent actresses around these days. Someone like her - Weisz or Watts either, actually - would add a lot of class to the role and possibly bring something new to the table. Bale isn't young anymore, would definitely welcome any of their casting.

But all these casting rumours and speculation really make me fear an ultimately top heavy production. I have more faith in Nolan than that, but as countless superhero movies have proven less is often more. The closest thing to a flaw in the Dark Knight (bar the editing) is that there almost isn't enough time for all the narrative strands. Balancing the increasingly large cast of this - many of whom will be brand new characters - is going to be tricky.

I agree Winslet is a great talented actress but I just cant see her in this film

There were rumours that Naomi Watts was cast as Vicki Vale

When does filming actually begin?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When does filming actually begin?
    Starts in May, then finishes up in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/3410663/Marion-is-lady-of-the-Knight.html
    FRENCH star MARION COTILLARD has signed up to the new Batman movie, according to French reports.
    The Oscar winning actress, who is expecting her first child with fiancé GUILLAME CANET in May, is expected to play CHRISTIAN BALE'S love interest in The Dark Knight Rises, directed by CHRIS NOLAN.

Yes I know it's the Sun but I'd say it's a done deal. She must be playing Talia al Ghul i'd say.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The great thing about Bane is that even without venom, he is still physically superior to Batman and a lot smarter, coupled with a near photographic memory.

The comic version of Bane is a man who worked his body to the absolute limits of peak physical condition, and venom was generally his ace in the hole should he need that bit extra in a situation, but generally he did not use it too much in the main storylines involving him.

I still think that the film will draw from the Knightfall trilogy and the Legacy storyline, as the latter
    was when Batman, Bruce Wayne version, finally got to beat Bane in a one on one fight something that never happened in the Knightfall trilogy
    Cheers, I must check out Legacy as well.

Of course, we also have to consider that Nolan may totally re-invent the character. If these Cotillard rumours are true, and if she is playing Talia, then maybe Bane will be a member of the League of Shadows. It would make him a true equal to Batman. However, where as Talia may want revenge for the death of her father, Bane might be a more complicated figure, who admires Batman as much as he wants to kill him. I don't think Nolan will make Bane another elemental/force of nature-type villain that the Joker was. But then again, maybe Talia would be better suited to the role of complicated villain. Is she more a love interest or villain in the comics?

I really hope the Talia rumours are true though. Previously I shot down the idea of there being two femme fatales, but given Burton's previous take on Catwoman, it would make sense for Nolan to go the opposite direction - making Selina/Catwoman less a femme fatale and a more sympathetic/heroic character, someone who needs Batman's guidance to stop her from becoming a villain like Two-Face. This would probably be more in keeping with the comics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cheers, I must check out Legacy as well.

Of course, we also have to consider that Nolan may totally re-invent the character. If these Cotillard rumours are true, and if she is playing Talia, then maybe Bane will be a member of the League of Shadows. It would make him a true equal to Batman. However, where as Talia may want revenge for the death of her father, Bane might be a more complicated figure, who admires Batman as much as he wants to kill him. I don't think Nolan will make Bane another elemental/force of nature-type villain that the Joker was. But then again, maybe Talia would be better suited to the role of complicated villain. Is she more a love interest or villain in the comics?

I really hope the Talia rumours are true though. Previously I shot down the idea of there being two femme fatales, but given Burton's previous take on Catwoman, it would make sense for Nolan to go the opposite direction - making Selina/Catwoman less a femme fatale and a more sympathetic/heroic character, someone who needs Batman's guidance to stop her from becoming a villain like Two-Face. This would probably be more in keeping with the comics as well.

I don't think Nolan will have to re-invent the character of Bane at all. The comic version of Bane is a complex character, one who does admire Batman and one who is better than Batman in every department. He is also totally sane which makes him stand out when compared to other Bat villains.

Also Nolan won't have to change anything in Bane's make up to link him with the the League of Assassins / Ra's al Ghul, as the Legacy storyline in the comics has that in it. Plus the Ra's al Ghul storyline from Batman Begins would be able to tie in nicely, thus completing a neat circle with the parts of Batman Begins that were inspired/influenced by the Legacy storyline and the parts of the new film that I suspect will be influenced by it.

Given how Nolan has taken his influences from certain Batman storylines from the comics for each film, usually two major comic storylines merged into each film along with Nolan's own stamp, I see the same happening again with the new film with maybe a slight change in that bits may be lifted from another storyline to include Catwoman if she is to be in costume.

The storyline that I expect the catwoman arc of the film to come from is either from the Long Halloween (which influenced parts of The Dark Knight and would give another tie in between films) or Hush/ The Heart Of Hush.

Given that the Hush storyline and the Knighfall trilogy have some very similar plotlines, it would not be hard to take the Catwoman arcs from one and merge them with the other.

I have a feeling that this film is going to trump the two that came before it in style, and be a very fitting end to Nolan's take on the Bat universe.

• Advertisement

I've just finished part 2 of the saga, I felt Part 1 dragged at times, but part 2 is a true tour de force!

Advertisement