Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

Nolan has shot down the possibility of the Joker being in TDKR so many times now that it is just denial to continue to believe that he wil make an appearance. They can deal with the Joker without actually showing him. Even had Ledger lived, Joker wouldn't have been the main villain but at most probably would have a played a Hannibal Lector in SOTL type role. Nolan merged most of Goyer's plans for a third film into TDK.

yes i agree he wouldnt have been a main villian and yes he would of played a hannibal lector type role,but i think he was planned for the 3rd and was going to play a big part even if he wasnt gonna be on screen much

he tore gotham apart it will be interesting how in TDKR they are going to show the aftermath of his chaos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dick Burns wrote: »
    he tore gotham apart it will be interesting how in TDKR they are going to show the aftermath of his chaos
    I think they definitely will, and I'll be disappointed if they don't. But I dont think we need to see the Joker for them to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ricero wrote: »

That have anyone else thinking Clayface?

maybe i dunno i think it would be far to surreal to have clayface. maybe its just a flash back scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

See post 747 in this thread. :D

ricero wrote: »
    maybe i dunno i think it would be far to surreal to have clayface. maybe its just a flash back scene

The original Clayface had no powers. He was a master of disguise due to working as a actor and special FX guy. The superpowered Clayface came along much later in the comics and was a totally different person to the original Clayface.

Decdes later the original Clayface was brought back and he injected himself with the DNA of two of the others who had the Clayface name and at that point he got superpowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mrsscott

I sat down and watched Batman Returns again last night - this was always my favourite batman film, I think mainly because of the amazing chemistry between Michelle Pfeiffer and Micheal Keaton, and also I think Christopher Walken as Max Shrek was brilliant!

Anyway - I hope Nolan does just a good job at re-creating that chemistry between his batman and catwoman. Just not sure if Anne Hathaway will be able to pull this off..... I really like her, but not sure if she's bad ass enough to pull it off.

Also wondering how big a role she/catwoman is gonna play in TDR.... I'd like to like to see a fairly big interaction between her and batman....

mrsscott wrote: »
    wondering how big a role she/catwoman is gonna play in TDR.... I'd like to like to see a fairly big interaction between her and batman....

I reckon she'll start out bad and towards the end be good or help batman in some way,well thats according to the reports/rumours,i hope tho catwomen is done well cause she could make or break the movie

loved batman returns especially the bit when the batmobile tranforms into a smaller version,christopher walken was very good in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I'd love to see Harley (Harlequin) make an appearance, although, finding female lead to portray her could be awkward. A foil to Ledgers Joker. Someone with all the right curves could be difficult to find :) A real psychotic bitch. Maybe a Harley and Poison Ivy combination.
    Fantastic characters in the Batman universe.

SD

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxtMODFxoUg&feature=fvst

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Variety has confirmed that JGL has been cast. They don't know who he is playing yet, but it's probably a villain.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034129?refCatId=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Cool, I still reckon he's gonna be a wankerish DA, or at least I hope that's all he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Variety are reporting that JGL has been cast as Alberto Falcone

Have to comment on what an amazing cast so far i really have high hopes for this movie

fruvai wrote: »
    Variety are reporting that JGL has been cast as Alberto Falcone

Kess73 wrote: »
    Depends on what they are calling "the old, old", but if we are talking the really early days, and are not talking about the mobsters in the early comics, then the list of "super" villains is not very long.

Clayface. The original one that used make up and disguises rather than the super powered version that came about much later.

Dr Hugo Strange. He has already been hinted at for the new film.

Those two, along with the Joker and Catwoman were main super bad guys in the early comics.

The second wave of major bad guys contained the likes of Two Face, The Penguin, The Riddler and Deadshot, although the last guy may be from the 1950's or 1960's and I could be wrongly putting him in with the second wave.

The Calendar Man ( who interestingly is also in The Long Halloween storyline that influenced a lot of The Dark Knight) is another from the 1950's or 1960's that could be an outside shot despite his crap name. Basically he is very very intelligent but is obsessed with dates, and his crimes either tie in with a famous date at some level (as well as happening on that date) or they tie in with a day of the week that he themes the crime to.

A better villain, and one who is very similar in style to Calendar Man, would be the character of Holiday (the main villain in The Long Halloween), and this character would be easy to tie in with event in the Dark Knight.

I think Nolan is reading my posts.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can't see Nolan going the full hog with Alberto and incorporating the Holiday character into the storyline! What makes ya think kess that he can be easily inserted into the storyline?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Can't see Nolan going the full hog with Alberto and incorporating the Holiday character into the storyline! What makes ya think kess that he can be easily inserted into the storyline?

Well his dad, Carmine Falcone, was in Batman Begins, and he gets a mention in TDK, so straight away we have the set up for the son.

Sal Moroni was in TDK, and he is another tie in with the character.

There is also the link with Two Face and Scarecrow that could be exploited.

It just seems to me that Nolan is taking his influences from a number of big Bat storylines and he always has one cross over into the next film as well as adding a new comic influenced thread into that film.

So I am expecting the Long Halloween influce to crossover into the new film, tying it to TDK, and that there will be a blending of the Knightfall and Legacy storylines as the new thread. The Legacy storyline is one to watch as it has Bane and the al Ghul link, plus it has already been used in the first film in a big way (the attempt to poison the city). If anything the Legacy parts from Batman Begins would be perfect reasons for introducing Talia into the third film, and also ideal for being what brings Batman to Bane's attention.

What I think we will get is a three way fight rather than a team up against Batman.

Batman vs Bane/Talia vs Holiday.

As a probably useless aside and a bit of useless trivia, the trio of Batman, Catwoman, and Bane all have birthdays (in the comics) that fall on holidays or days of observances. Might be nothing but Nolan has shown that kind of eye for detail in his films.

Now that I have mentioned catwoman, she also has a part to play in the Long Halloween storyline that involved Holiday.

Now the Two face arc of that storyline cannot be taken any further seeing as he is a small bit dead.

But we give Two Face's role
    in killing Falcone senior
    to Talia, then the Sofia/Catwoman clash in the Long Halloween could become a Catwoman/Talia fight after maybe Catwoman prevents
    the shooting
    . Talia could then
    take the fall from the building like Sofia did

Entertainment Weekly is now saying that JGL is NOT playing Falcone.

Yes now apparently he is playing black mask/roman sionis,to be honest at this stage i think im just gonna wait until WB or nolan confirm who JGL will be,he could be anyone,he could end playing a role like william fintchner in TDK (bank manager at the start) i hope not as JGL could be class in TDKR

just on the reports from yesterday i found this picture of the holdiay killer and i thought JGL looks perfect for that role but according to recent reports we wont be seeing him as the holiday killer,worth a look tho!

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/54783-dark-knight-rises-tertiary-villain-actor-confirmed

Hopefully a press release is forthcoming. I'm growing tired of all the speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My attitude with this slew of casting rumours & tattle is to simply disbelieve it all until a. a press release or b. shooting actually starts.

At least we've graduated into the "credible" realm of rumour-mongering, and moved far away from the "Cher as Catwoman" bullplop that otherwise legitimate news outlets were reporting ages ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    My attitude with this slew of casting rumours & tattle is to simply disbelieve it all until a. a press release or b. shooting actually starts.

At least we've graduated into the "credible" realm of rumour-mongering, and moved far away from the "Cher as Catwoman" bullplop that otherwise legitimate news outlets were reporting ages ago :rolleyes:

Possibly the only human being on earth who'd look more fake than a cgi version of herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Azrael maybe? Might be overkill though if that character was introduced.

If, as reported,
    Bane will break Batmans back in the first act would the movie run as a set of flashbacks while Batman is rehibiltating and we see Azrael's development as well as him killing bane
    I'm gonna come straight out and say I'm getting all my information from Wikipedia and, while I do read comics, I never read any of the Batman comics but I do find the stories very interesting :)

The Azrael character page on Wikipedia does mention that, during the Knighfall story arc, Jean-Paul Valley is given a job as a security guard at WayneTech headquarters so that would make it very easy for Nolan to tie the character to the movie without introducing the secret society.

You heard it here first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

You heard it here first :)

why are you quoting yourself? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

This is the internet, you have to brag when you say stuff ahead of time that may or may not be confirmed!
    I'd wait until an actual confirmation missingtime! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

allanb49 wrote: »
    why are you quoting yourself? :confused:
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    This is the internet, you have to brag when you say stuff ahead of time that may or may not be confirmed!
    I'd wait until an actual confirmation missingtime! :p

What he said ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

From herocomplex.com :

Apparenty they're talking about the Dark Knight Rises being the end of Nolans "run" on Batman and doing (yet another) reboot afterwards.
    Sweet baby jesus why ??
    Surely to give us the Batman we've been waiting for then to take it away again is criminal?? I had hoped ,prayed and dreamed that Nolan would at last give us the Knightfall storyline.Make it over 3 films , to hell with the studio - let them have a little faith. Show the rise of Bane (make him a real villian please) in the first film , the second is Bane breaking Batman , then the third film is Bruce Wayne taking back the cowl. So so simple.You're showing Batman's humanity , the duality between what he really is (is he bruce wearing a mask or Batman pretending to be Bruce ). Its a ready made epic. Now I know hollywood doesnt do comic hero epics very well (Dark Phoenix anyone ??) but by jingo it'd be hard to mess it up.
    Do we really need another reboot , and then onto another origin story ? Case in point - the "amazing " Spiderman. Why not just erase the 3rd film from continuity (they do this in the comic books all the time) and then bring in the real venom , the venom from the book ? or do the whole clone saga ?

Its all gearing towards the Justice league apparently. The studio want to do an avengers on it. Thats fine , but the studio doing avengers knew they were doing avengers from the get go , hence the nervousness about Thor fitting into Tony Starks world.This is just copying the avengers for the sake of it , watch them destroy the justice league , who arguably to begin with were never more than their individual members anyway.

Please excuse the rant , someone just told this fat comic book fan that they're sending Santa to the chair next year.

Nolan has already made it quite clear that this is his last Batman film.

I've no problem with another reboot after this. Although I don't necessarily interpret "reboot" to mean telling Batman's origin all over again. I suspect it would just be a re-imagining with a different actor and director, kinda like the Bond films down through the years.

Fans can't expect Nolan to keep making these films forever. And I think he should have as much freedom as he needs to end his trilogy as he sees fit without having to worry about the next film in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have no problem with Hollywood rebooting/restarting a film series after a few films or even a single film Japan cinema and televison has done it for a long time and it keeps things fresh.

• Advertisement

Interesting article here which makes me very hopeful about the direction Nolan is going with this film.

Excerpt:
    You’ll remember that yesterday I dropped a tidbit saying that some elements in Warner Bros weren’t happy with The Dark Knight Rises. People speculated why that would be, but the answer is simple: It’s the last Batman movie.

Christopher Nolan’s last Batfilm is designed to be the last Batfilm. I guess it would be plausible to do a Batman 4 afterwards, but it would be a big stretch; Nolan is putting a definitive cap on his trilogy. The only way to realistically continue Batman after The Dark Knight Rises is to reboot yet again.

You can imagine how this has freaked out some suits at Warner Bros. They have a cash cow, and Nolan wants to end it. And he wants to end it in grandiose, almost Shakespearian style. That’s not great for toy sales, and it’s not great for planning Batman-related revenue every third year.

Advertisement