Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If Nolan killed off Wayne I'd be very disappointed. I'd say it's bull though, I mean from just looking at the title of the film it's quite evident that this film will surely end on a high note.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    If Nolan killed off Wayne I'd be very disappointed. I'd say it's bull though, I mean from just looking at the title of the film it's quite evident that this film will surely end on a high note.

You know what popped into my head when I read your post?

And it would be the Superman tie in that I am half hoping for. Well a Clark Kent appearance anyway.

The Dark Knight Returns. Just one scene from the graphic novel.

The funeral scene.

Have nothing else from the graphic novel bar a scene influenced by that one bit of the comic.

Spoilers on this as it hints at what happens in the graphic novel.
    Batman/Bruce Wayne is dead. He dies fighting and defeating Bane/Holiday/whatever villain none of us see coming. No Superman in the film so no fight with Superman in costume. Selene is at the funeral same as in the comic. Clark Kent is at the funeral, but maybe he is there reporting for the Daily Planet, afterall the death of Bruce Wayne is huge news . And just before the film fdes out, have Clark's superhearing pick up a heart beat from the coffin, letting us know that Bruce is faking his death, just like in that graphic novel..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I like that..... def interested in a Supes crossover. In some ways I'm glad the franchise is finishing here. We get closure on the story. Done and dusted. But in the same way Return of the King was much anticipated and by and large a great film it left a void, knowing that it was the end and there was nothing to look forward to... sniff sniff.

Is Nolan heavily involved in the Superman movie or just in a consultation role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30558 I just got sick Reading this news. These movie excutives really have no shame

Kess73 wrote: »

And it would be the Superman tie in that I am half hoping for. Well a Clark Kent appearance anyway.

The funeral scene.

Have nothing else from the graphic novel bar a scene influenced by that one bit of the comic.

Batman/Bruce Wayne is dead. He dies fighting and defeating Bane/Holiday/whatever villain none of us see coming. No Superman in the film so no fight with Superman in costume. Selene is at the funeral same as in the comic. Clark Kent is at the funeral, but maybe he is there reporting for the Daily Planet, afterall the death of Bruce Wayne is huge news . And just before the film fdes out, have Clark's superhearing pick up a heart beat from the coffin, letting us know that Bruce is faking his death, just like in that graphic novel..

Hmmm, I think you could be on to something there from the angle that while Batman may be "no more", his legacy will have an ever lasting effect. Then again, we already know that this Bruce Wayne is dead against people trying to take up his mantle.
    ricero wrote: »
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30558 I just got sick Reading this news. These movie excutives really have no shame

I wouldn't have a problem with this. I don't think reboot necessarily means starting from scratch, I mean I don't think that they'll do the origin again.

The thing about Nolan's universe is that it's narrow; there's only so much you can do with it and eliminates so many potential villains/storylines from the equation. So I think that a reboot is a the best way forward for the franchise. You can't force a universe that's been established by 3 films on a director who didn't create it and expect things to go smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

10 euro says that if they reboot, it'll be a Smallville-esque reboot featuring a young Bruce Wayne, possibly in his early 20s or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The funeral scene.

Came up with more or less the same idea when talking to some friends about this a while ago, and I think it would be f*ckin great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

I have read several news reports about the reboot alright and dont know what to think,firstly they have planned a justice league movie for 2013(wont happen not enough time) which wil probaly be 2014 so i presume a batman reboot will be 2015 which is still only 3 years after 2012's TDKR,i was always hoping nolans batman films would be remembered as The Batman films that made history that in 10-15 years time we would stil be talking about them but in hindsight after the success of batman studios want $ and if that means potentially pushing nolans batman films to one side then so be it,secondly,with a hulk and 2 iron man films and thor and Captain america this year and the avengers in 2012 not too mention sequels to follow (actors have already signed up for sequels in their own movie aswel as another avengers) Marvel make up to a few billion,DC comics aim to do the same but i do not think they can,marvel had a 5-6 plan for the avenger beginning with the hulk in 2008 leading up to the avengers in 2012 and then sequels,you cant just create a team up movie IMO and lastly i dont think the batman reboot would be another origin story thats been done already i think in maybe 12-15+ years yes they can return to an origin story,i dont know how they will apporch this reboot maybe they will take out nolans idea of a real world batman and bring in more fantasy criminals like killer croc or clayface it would open more doors of criminals also im sure they will bring in robin and over a few films turn him into night wing
    I had hoped ,prayed and dreamed that Nolan would at last give us the Knightfall storyline.Make it over 3 films , to hell with the studio - let them have a little faith. Show the rise of Bane (make him a real villian please) in the first film , the second is Bane breaking Batman , then the third film is Bruce Wayne taking back the cowl. So so simple.You're showing Batman's humanity , the duality between what he really is (is he bruce wearing a mask or Batman pretending to be Bruce ). Its a ready made epic

i have to 100% agree it would be an epic thrilogy,but the fact that bane is goning to be in 2012's TDKR i dont think we will see a knightfall story anyway soon

i think chris nolan has raised the bar in terms of batman and shown joel schumacher and even tim burton(sorry) how a batman film is made,i find it hard to think they could top these films but i am very excited about more batman films to come,would be great to see another joker after heath ledgers portrayal has now made TDK's joker the one everyone now remembers

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think this is great news, hopefully we'll have a brilliant conclusive trilogy to re-watch again and again while leaving batman open to different interpretations by other directors in the future and I'd be well stoked for a Justice League movie. I presume this means there'll probably be a nod or two to the JLA in the Zach Snyder Supes movie if they plan on mirroring marvels strategy with The Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Let's just hope it's no Matrix Revolutions :pac:

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume this means there'll probably be a nod or two to the JLA in the Zach Snyder Supes movie if they plan on mirroring marvels strategy with The Avengers.

i think they are leaving superman alone like they did with the batman movies,as i think goyer and nolan know how to make a real world superman so they will probaly keep it on its own and the justice league movie seperare

in saying that nolan,according to news reports,will be a producer on the justice league movie so maybe he will incoperate the man of steel movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I still think they could of got 1 or 2 more films out of Nolan universe. If he didn't wana direct them fair enuf just get a new director and make Nolan producer. We could introduce robin and make him look good instead of how wimpy and bitchy he has looked previous batman movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I still think they could of got 1 or 2 more films out of Nolan universe. If he didn't wana direct them fair enuf just get a new director and make Nolan producer. We could introduce robin and make him look good instead of how wimpy and bitchy he has looked previous batman movies.

Surely you could also end Bruce Wayne's batman, but have a replacement come in for him - I belive that was done in the comics previously - when BW got too old to be fighting crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Interesting that Nolan is going to be hanging on as producer for the inevitable reboot by the sounds of it.

i think nolan is telling a batman story set over the space of 2-3y ears,for example the dark knight i think is set a few months after batman begins and the dark knight rises im sure wont be too long after TDK,so nolans films are like an introduction of how batman became the crime fighter he is by over coming fear,chaos,hurt and the dark knight rises ending im sure will have batman over coming everything and truely becomming gothams protector,i reckon nolan would go down the route of introducing robin but has stated that robin is in a few films time as bruce wayne is stil a young man,it would be a mid 40's BW when robin would be brought in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fiasco9661

Yeah I think Robin should be in one of Nolan's films (Dick Grayson or Carrie Kelly). I don't get why people hate Robin. READ THE BOOKS FIRST! Robin was great in The Dark Knight Returns and Especially in Dark Victory! But what book do you guys think TDKR should be based on?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The only way Robin is going to appear is as a namecheck (visual or verbal) or a one line character at the very end.

Hmmm, I think you could be on to something there from the angle that while Batman may be "no more", his legacy will have an ever lasting effect. Then again, we already know that this Bruce Wayne is dead against people trying to take up his mantle.

But the ending I suggested would not have anyone taking up his mantle.Clark
    hearing the heartbeat
    would just leave the door open for a future film should Nolan ever change his mind. It could be that Bruce wants/needs
    to fake his death
    as he decides that the longer he stays around as Bats, the more he remains a temptation for serious hitters to come to Gotham.

Think of it as him making a sacrifice, he has just stopped the biggest threat to date, and in order to stop more coming to Gotham he knows that he has to remove the Bat shaped target from Gotham.

Maybe his logic is that the new breed of villains will go elsewhere if he is not there to attract them, maybe even to Metropolis. :D

fiasco9661 wrote: »
    Yeah I think Robin should be in one of Nolan's films (Dick Grayson or Carrie Kelly). I don't get why people hate Robin. READ THE BOOKS FIRST! Robin was great in The Dark Knight Returns and Especially in Dark Victory! But what book do you guys think TDKR should be based on?:confused:

It looks like TDKR is being influneced by the Long Halloween (just as elements of that graphic novel have been used for the first two films), Legacy (One big part of this storyline was used in the first film and would make sense to tie it into the last film0, and of course the Knightfall storyline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know, it occurs that however money-grubbing we might accuse the studio executives of being for wanting to reboot the series again, surely DC comics themselves are guilty of far worse avarice, given that they have kept the franchise going for - what? - 60-70 years.
    How many reboots, fake deaths, copycats, clones, alternate-universe versions of Batman have there been down through the years? I'm sure a 3rd high-profile movie series pales in significance against the constant stream of the comic timelines. It's pretty much why I don't buy many comics to begin with - I couldn't possibly (afford to) keep up with the never-ending plotlines.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    You know, it occurs that however money-grubbing we might accuse the studio executives of being for wanting to reboot the series again, surely DC comics themselves are guilty of far worse avarice, given that they have kept the franchise going for - what? - 60-70 years.
    How many reboots, fake deaths, copycats, clones, alternate-universe versions of Batman have there been down through the years? I'm sure a 3rd high-profile movie series pales in significance against the constant stream of the comic timelines. It's pretty much why I don't buy many comics to begin with - I couldn't possibly (afford to) keep up with the never-ending plotlines.

im afraid to admit it but you dead right!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thats the very reason why I have no problem with reboots(as long as they don't constantly re-do the origins), comics are constantly rebooting every single superhero ever.

A surprise bit of casting has placed Josh Pence in a supporting role in The Dark Knight Rises. The Hollywood Reporter claims that Pence will play Ra's al Ghul in the conclusion of ChristopherNolan'smag-glass_10x10.gif Batman trilogy. The original story suggests that al Ghul, who was played in Batman Begins by LiamNeesonmag-glass_10x10.gif, will appear in flashbacks that are set three decades in the past.

Pence, who appears in the upcoming Battleship (opposite Neeson), also appeared in last year's The Social Network as the body of Tyler Winklevoss (his face was digitally replace with that of Armie Hammer).
    Though unconfirmed, the appearance of the character would support rumors that Talia al Ghul, his daughter, may be a featured villain.

The Dark Knight Rises will enter production shortly in Pittsburgh and is set to feature the return of Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman, along with roles for Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Juno Temple. It is set for release on July 20, 2012.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164757-josh-pence-joins-the-dark-knight-rises

Flashbacks with Ra's? What could be the motivation for this?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164757-josh-pence-joins-the-dark-knight-rises

Flashbacks with Ra's? What could be the motivation for this?

Sounds like there may indeed be a variation on the Legacy storyline used, to go with what was used from that storyline in Batman Begins.

I am guessing that the flashbacks will be to tie a younger Bane to al Ghul, setting up the Nolan take on the character. I expect to see a Child Bane with his teddy bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I suspect it will just be to introduce Talia al Ghul to be played by Marion Cotillard. They may even put a digital young Liam Neeson on Pence's face. Trying to link any of this into a specific story seems like a pointless exercise as not one of them gives a convincing reason for having Catwomen. With Catwomen all bets are now off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They may even put a digital young Liam Neeson on Pence's face.
    lol. It would so funny if they did this. Pence was devastated by Fincher's decision to digitally replace his face in TSN. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Neeson shows up as an older Ra's in one these flashbacks as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone else think The Long Halloween would make for an incredible TV series?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I reckon Robin just would not fit into Nolan's world. Think about it, why would Bruce, who's just getting used to his new role risk the life of a child? And the uniform? C'mon.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I suspect it will just be to introduce Talia al Ghul to be played by Marion Cotillard. They may even put a digital young Liam Neeson on Pence's face. Trying to link any of this into a specific story seems like a pointless exercise as not one of them gives a convincing reason for having Catwomen. With Catwomen all bets are now off.

Of course Catwoman links in to a specific storyline.

A lot of The Dark Knight was based on events The Long Halloween, and Catwoman could be introduced into the storyline as she was in that comic storyline as well.

Nolan has mentioned many times which storylines influenced the first two films, and if Bane, al ghul (Ra's or Talia), Catwoman, and/or Azreal, Holiday/Alberto Falcone are to be involved in a film that ties in with the first two then it makes perfect sense to continue with two of the comic storylines already used (Legacy and The Long Halloween) as those two storylines have been used in both films and also contain all the characters I named.

Mash the Knightfall storyline into the mix and Nolan's take on things could be very very interesting, should he follow that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

lol. It would so funny if they did this. Pence was devastated by Fincher's decision to digitally replace his face in TSN. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Neeson shows up as an older Ra's in one these flashbacks as well.
    Well Pence could carve a niche for himself playing body doubles much like Andy Serkis is now mostly known for his motion capture performances, beggars can't be choosers and there must be reason Fincher decided to drop him. To be honest I had no idea what Pence looked like but after a quick google he has a male model Neeson look about him so we they may not have to go down the digital route that made Jeff Bridges look so damn creepy in Tron.
    Of course Catwoman links in to a specific storyline.

Yes she features in them but they don't provide a compelling reason to drag her into Nolan's bat world and have to do a semi realistic origin story for her. If you rush it it will seem silly and if you go into too much detail it will get in the way of all the Bane fun.

Advertisement