Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

is that the Nintendo bloke? scary shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

jaykhunter wrote: »
    is that the Nintendo bloke? scary shot!

Tis indeed, Reggie Fils-Aime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Thought this was fairly cool, the 3 movie posters combined:

tumblr_lohmdde7oi1qhzdcmo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1311040911&Signature=yRLUw9vqgph3mVkhm5ehdciGUnA%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Stupid time zones, give me my trailer already!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to get all your hopes down, there really isn't all that much in the trailer to get your hopes up about. It's a teaser, nothing more - half the frickin' thing
    is a recap!

Will be nice to hear what Gordon is actually saying though in HD :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Will be nice to hear what Gordon is actually saying though in HD :P

I saw the teaser before HP on sat, He says
    "We were in this together, then you were gone…….Now this Evil rises. Batman has to come back" ....Brucey replies "What if he doesn’t exist anymore?"

I was very excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

karma_ wrote: »
    Thought this was fairly cool, the 3 movie posters combined:

tumblr_lohmdde7oi1qhzdcmo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1311040911&Signature=yRLUw9vqgph3mVkhm5ehdciGUnA%3D

[pedant] But the Begins one isn't a real poster [/pedant]

I like the concept though...

except for the horrible font.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I know we are all chomping at the bit for any nugget of info about this film, but this really is a crap teaser. The TDK teaser with Alfred's line about how some men "just want to watch the world burn" followed by the Joker's laughter was so much better. The reusing of old footage ruins this one.

Of the few little bits that we did get, the one thing that really struck me was
    Batman looked really tired in the Bane fight shot, like he had been going a while or getting a serious pummeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I know we are all chomping at the bit for any nugget of info about this film, but this really is a crap teaser. The TDK teaser with Alfred's line about how some men "just want to watch the world burn" followed by the Joker's laughter was so much better. The reusing of old footage ruins this one.

It is a bit poo alright. Plus, the more I see Bane the more ridiculous the mask looks. There better be a really good reason for it being there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

gusta-batman.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Of the few little bits that we did get, the one thing that really struck me was
    Batman looked really tired in the Bane fight shot, like he had been going a while or getting a serious pummeling.
    Yup, looked like he was on his last legs, being backed into a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

When I first heard a - now I know accurate - description of the teaser, I thought it was bollocks. "Nolan's Gordon would never have such corny lines" Of course it's a 3 second clip, taken totally out of context, but it seems off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You can see someone standing in the background of the shot at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, I don't think any film warrants a trailer an entire year before release, teaser or not! Especially one as contentless as this one - we learn little from this we didn't know already, alas. Even compare it to the Inception ones where we at least got tantalisingly brief glimpses of many of the 'money' shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

TBH, I don't think any film warrants a trailer an entire year before release, teaser or not! Especially one as contentless as this one - we learn little from this we didn't know already, alas. Even compare it to the Inception ones where we at least got tantalisingly brief glimpses of many of the 'money' shots.
    The trailer reminded me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like it, its a teaser, its doing exactly what its meant to, I'd happily go see the movie not having seen any more footage that whats in that, trailers ruin too much of films these days you feel like you've seen the whole thing before you even enter the cinema, its too easy to piece together what will happen from the shots in the trailers

• Advertisement

animation3qo79.gif

I know there are far more issues with the comparison I am about to make, such as studio interference and the old adage about too many cooks. BUT, this teaser has me somewhat reminded of Spiderman 3.

Hear me out before reaching for your pitchforks!

Raimi made many, many mistakes in Spiderman 3, but two stand out:

1) Returning to the first movie and essentially rewriting it in order to provide some sort of catharsis for the characters in the 3rd movie.

2) Too many bloody villains competing for screen time led to a messy script with no clear focus.

In the end it was a poor movie. The theme of redemption was wasted with the shoddy revision to Uncle Ben's murder. Coupled with this, the introduction of Harry as the second Goblin was always inevitable, but it ended up being a shoehorn and forced. The amnesia subplot just made him even more of a wasted opportunity and his eventual redemption lacked any emotional impact. Then we had Sandman on top of this (was he the main villain?). Oh, and Venom made an appearance as most underwhelming supervillain ever.

I really hope Nolan doesn't fall into the same traps. Yes, he is a much better movie maker than Raimi, but I'm sure he is subject to the same studio pressures. Having Bane, Catwoman, some dude Nixon (hopefully a small role like Sal Maroni) and possibly even Talia Al'Ghoul if the rumors are to be believed might work, then again it might be too much and.

Also, the "completion" of Batman's journey as a hero shouldn't be bogged down in the events of the previous movies. Yes, it's sometimes nice to have a soap-opera like series of coincidences to make a story a little more zesty and it can work in a comic book framework, but I wouldn't want Nolan to spend half the movie trying to tie up loose ends or worse, rewriting any of the events that have gone before.

I have faith, but I just don't want my Batman collection to end up like my spiderman blu-ray collection (yes, I bought it, don't laugh): two decent movies bookended by a piece of crap.

krudler wrote: »
    I like it, its a teaser, its doing exactly what its meant to, I'd happily go see the movie not having seen any more footage that whats in that, trailers ruin too much of films these days you feel like you've seen the whole thing before you even enter the cinema, its too easy to piece together what will happen from the shots in the trailers

I agree. The number of captain america teasers, trailers, tv spots and now b-roll footage is removing a lot of the surprise.

Which is why I choose not to watch them.

I don't think WB can lean on Nolan like Sony did on Raimi. Nolan is they're golden boy, and he plays hard ball too. While Raimi was always coming back for S-M3, Nolan played it cool, and got WB in a position where they were begging him to come back. I'd say Nolan has complete creative control because of this.

There are a lot of characters to juggle, but that's no different from BB and TDK. Just look at it this way:

The Joker --- Bane
    Harvey Dent/Two-Face --- Selina Kyle/Catwoman
    Rachel Dawes --- Miranda Tate
    Sal Maroni --- Nixon

The only wildcard is JGL's character, John Blake. It's definitely got me curious as to how he's going to fit into all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

A fake. If the fact that the page called it a fake didn't give it away, Robin Williams should have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I suppose as a teaser it definitely teases. Though with about 60% old footage it's taking the mick a little to be calling this a first trailer.

yeah but the money shots should be kept for the movie

does anyone know what the voices are chanting at the end? I cant make it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't think WB can lean on Nolan like Sony did on Raimi. Nolan is they're golden boy, and he plays hard ball too. While Raimi was always coming back for S-M3, Nolan played it cool, and got WB in a position where they were begging him to come back. I'd say Nolan has complete creative control because of this.

There are a lot of characters to juggle, but that's no different from BB and TDK. Just look at it this way:

The Joker --- Bane
    Harvey Dent/Two-Face --- Selina Kyle/Catwoman
    Rachel Dawes --- Miranda Tate
    Sal Maroni --- Nixon

The only wildcard is JGL's character, John Blake. It's definitely got me curious as to how he's going to fit into all this.
    Maybe he takes over batmans job while batman is in hiding or is robin ???

Advertisement