Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yup, looked like he was on his last legs, being backed into a corner.

I think it's safe to say now this film will borrow a lot from the Batman: Knightfall story arch in which
    Bats has to rebuild the trust of the public and police and bane cripples him
    . Nolan's probably said as much already??
    krudler wrote: »
    does anyone know what the voices are chanting at the end? I cant make it out

Is it the same chants from that viral website from a while back? I couldn't quite catch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"The fire rises, rises", I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ricero wrote: »
    Maybe he takes over batmans job while batman is in hiding or is robin ???
    Thats quite possible as the knightfall story line also leads to the formation of the Batman family. I've a hunch that his character could very well be a version of Jean-Paul Valley, look him up on wikipedia if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"The fire rises, rises", I think.

its something like that, I didnt think it was English for a while, maybe its not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

its something like that, I didnt think it was English for a while, maybe its not?

Doesn't sound like anything English to me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Some people are saying the chanting is 'Bane! Bane! Matalo! Matalo!', which is Spanish for 'Bane! Bane! Kill him! Kill him!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Some people are saying the chanting is 'Bane! Bane! Matalo! Matalo!', which is Spanish for 'Bane! Bane! Kill him! Kill him!'.
    That +1!!!

i really hope Nolan read and use The Knight Fall as a source for the script. i have so much faith in nolan and he wont disappoint us!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

81671126.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Could be the fire rises, or it could be "Bane, Bane, matalo, matalo", which is mexican for "Bane, Bane, kill him, kill him."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Could be the fire rises, or it could be "Bane, Bane, matalo, matalo", which is mexican for "Bane, Bane, kill him, kill him."

Mexican Facepalm

4060080237_804386425a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm Mexican and it does kinda sound like mátalo to me. But if it was Spanish they shouldn't be chanting Bane like bay-in. It should be more like bah-nay. However the last part does sound very like dispara from the verb disparar which means to shoot. Not sure why they'd be telling him to shoot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I know there are far more issues with the comparison I am about to make, such as studio interference and the old adage about too many cooks. BUT, this teaser has me somewhat reminded of Spiderman 3.

Hear me out before reaching for your pitchforks!

Raimi made many, many mistakes in Spiderman 3, but two stand out:

1) Returning to the first movie and essentially rewriting it in order to provide some sort of catharsis for the characters in the 3rd movie.

2) Too many bloody villains competing for screen time led to a messy script with no clear focus.

In the end it was a poor movie. The theme of redemption was wasted with the shoddy revision to Uncle Ben's murder. Coupled with this, the introduction of Harry as the second Goblin was always inevitable, but it ended up being a shoehorn and forced. The amnesia subplot just made him even more of a wasted opportunity and his eventual redemption lacked any emotional impact. Then we had Sandman on top of this (was he the main villain?). Oh, and Venom made an appearance as most underwhelming supervillain ever.

I really hope Nolan doesn't fall into the same traps. Yes, he is a much better movie maker than Raimi, but I'm sure he is subject to the same studio pressures. Having Bane, Catwoman, some dude Nixon (hopefully a small role like Sal Maroni) and possibly even Talia Al'Ghoul if the rumors are to be believed might work, then again it might be too much and.

Also, the "completion" of Batman's journey as a hero shouldn't be bogged down in the events of the previous movies. Yes, it's sometimes nice to have a soap-opera like series of coincidences to make a story a little more zesty and it can work in a comic book framework, but I wouldn't want Nolan to spend half the movie trying to tie up loose ends or worse, rewriting any of the events that have gone before.

I have faith, but I just don't want my Batman collection to end up like my spiderman blu-ray collection (yes, I bought it, don't laugh): two decent movies bookended by a piece of crap.

The thing to remember is that Spider-man while having some adult themes, was targeted at kids, and so a lot of the pressure to add extra villains was to boost toy sales. BB/TDK/TDKR, are not being targeted at kids. They are adult movies, and the only toys being made are the collectible kind, not the "Made in Taiwan", "Batmobile with flashing lights and sounds from the movie" kind. Without that pressure, the characters will be allowed develop naturally. Nolan will have already told WB, that the characters will naturally develop or he wont be involved(I dont have a source for this, but I am confident he said something along those lines).

As for the teaser trailer. Erm. Im not sure. I didnt like the selection of Bane as the villain, partly because it takes some of the reality away from it. That said, I probably said the same about Two-face when I was discussing TDK, so maybe in the hands of Nolan it will work. I also dont like the idea of Catwoman in it, but again, Nolan could make it work. I must try and get my hands on Knightfall, to see what the storyline 'might' look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mellor wrote: »
    Mexican Facepalm

Very clever of you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Does anyone know if Liam Nesson if on the cast list?

I rumours on other websites that he was.

FlashD wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Liam Nesson if on the cast list?

I rumours on other websites that he was.

Supposedly in
    a flashback scene. I doubt they'll be ressurecting him, never know though I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Who is the chap behind batman at the end of the teaser...?

Also Batman looks ****ed at the end of it it must be a long fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

DrumSteve wrote: »

That would be Bane played by Tom Hardy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, Bane is in the foreground. There's someone else standing in the background. Probably one of Bane's henchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I presume DrumSteve is referring to this character..

guy.jpg

• Advertisement

You mean the guy in the background? Probably just a random henchmen no? either that or a member of the film crew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You mean the guy in the background? Probably just a random henchmen no?:
    Reminds me of Tony Montana..

31-dJR0CVzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ooh.. Batman / Scarface hybrid?

** make notes of idea **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Reason I ask the above question about Liam Nesson, didn't Ra's al Ghul have the ability to ressurect himself? Maybe this is a step too far for Nolan's realistic take on the franchise.

Personlly hoping Nesson makes a return. Very charasmatic actor.

Regards

Reason I ask the above question about Liam Nesson, didn't Ra's al Ghul have the ability to ressurect himself? Maybe this is a step too far for Nolan's realistic take on the franchise.

Regards

Yea there was a debate earlier in the thread that a leaked photo could be
    the lazarus pit, which is what ressurects Ra's, it's also what heals Batman after bane cripples him in the Knightfall story line which seems to be the book they're loosely basing this one on
    It's highly unlikely thats going to happen in this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Briliant trailer.

By showing noting but 1 second of new film they've left me very angry and hungry for more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Regards

This was already torn apart in the first one when Ra's reveals himself to Bruce at the birthday party:

"Is Ra's Al Ghoul immortal, are his methods supernatural?"

To which Bruce replies

"Or merely cheap parlor tricks to conceal your true identity"

I think the idea of immortality and the lazarus pit would not work in Nolan's batman. He pretty much says this in the above lines, Neeson is asking the question that describes the Ra's from the comics, Bruce's response is very much Nolan saying "No, this guy is not immortal, but like Saddam he was pretty good at using decoys". I would imagine the head of a vigilante organization is constantly in mortal danger, having decoy after decoy would give the impression that he is being "reborn".

The lazarus pit images that were released were just a pit with a green screen tarpaulin on top, possibly for effects of a young Bane climbing out of whatever hole we we see him crawl out of in the teaser.

Of course, I may be totally wrong and Nolan might decide to go more supernatural in the final movie, but I hope not, it would not be in keeping with the continuity of the Batman universe he has created.

I don't know what this means for Venom either. I think Bane will just be an incredibly intelligent and physically honed villain, I can't see him flicking a switch and suddenly gaining enhanced strength. Possibly if he is a member of the league of shadows, the facemask might deliver some variation of the fear toxin to send him into a rage or numb his sensitivity to pain.

I think any use of Neeson will be in flashback sequences, possibly so we can see the father-son relationship between him and Bane, if that's the direction they are going.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would be disappointed if we ended up with a more "Comic Book" finale to the series, only because of the tone that has been set in the previous two movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Looks to me as though the guy in the background is holding a camera, don't know why but it just looks like that to me. Either that or a gun.

Batman looks like he has had a serious run around by the time of that shot.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

I don't know what this means for Venom either. I think Bane will just be an incredibly intelligent and physically honed villain, I can't see him flicking a switch and suddenly gaining enhanced strength. Possibly if he is a member of the league of shadows, the facemask might deliver some variation of the fear toxin to send him into a rage or numb his sensitivity to pain.

I think any use of Neeson will be in flashback sequences, possibly so we can see the father-son relationship between him and Bane, if that's the direction they are going.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would be disappointed if we ended up with a more "Comic Book" finale to the series, only because of the tone that has been set in the previous two movies.

I was thinking that myself, maybe the mask is like a reverse gasmask with a supply of the fear toxin and he's feeding off of it instead of being immobilised by it. I like the idea of a guy whos just a big dude who batters the sh1t out of Batman, no big plan to demolish Gotham or destroy the morale of the city, just him and Batman. I reckon its Bane who puts Gordon where we see him in the trailer. Batman has disappeared/retired whatever and Bane finds out his connection to Gordon and whoever else he an ally of and just goes after all of them to bring the bat out of retirement for a showdown then beats him nearly half to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

is that bane crawling out of the hole in the trailer ?

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    is that bane crawling out of the hole in the trailer ?

I think so, wonder is he in the same place the Leagues mountain fortress thingy is?

Advertisement