Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Climbing out of the Batcave?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Insight into the chanting:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I couldn't resist this one. Thought it was neat.

Loved that cartoon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw the trailer in the cinema last night. It's pretty lengthy for a teaser to be fair. Not sure i like Bane's mask though...it just doesn't look right. Also don't like that they released a trailer a year before it's released. That's way too long.

My 2 cents... All spoilerific:
    The dude / figure in the background when he fights bane is a cameraman as someone suggested - but not someone filming on set, rather someone filming Batman getting defeated by Bane or "falling".

The theme of the film is his ultimate "rising"... from this so I suspect the Bane / Batman fight you see here is early, and the scene with Oldman in the hospital bed is later into the movie.

I loved the first two movies and hope this lives u. I'll be going in with the same expectation I go into every film, hope for a 5 out of 10, love when you get something better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 eroticvultcha

=Kiith;73386400 Not sure i like Bane's mask though...it just doesn't look right. Also don't like that they released a trailer a year before it's released. That's way too long.

Think it looks great personally. As many people have commented before, there's a Hannibal Lecter air to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Opening scene should be TDK drinking a tall glass of water, clearing his throat and speaking in a normal voice for the rest of the film. Here's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Boo Radley wrote: »
    I couldn't resist this one. Thought it was neat.

Loved that cartoon.

You can get the cartoon on DVD now. Just incase you didn't know. Wouldn't mind having myself. I loved it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The dude / figure in the background when he fights bane is a cameraman as someone suggested - but not someone filming on set, rather someone filming Batman getting defeated by Bane or "falling".

The theme of the film is his ultimate "rising"... from this so I suspect the Bane / Batman fight you see here is early, and the scene with Oldman in the hospital bed is later into the movie.

I loved the first two movies and hope this lives u. I'll be going in with the same expectation I go into every film, hope for a 5 out of 10, love when you get something better!

You don't really have to spoiler your own random speculations

flanree wrote: »
    Opening scene should be TDK drinking a tall glass of water, clearing his throat and speaking in a normal voice for the rest of the film. Here's hoping :)

I read elsewhere, that the latest theory was that when Gordon was talking to [Bale], who was off camera, [Bale] was using he normal voice - suggesting that Gordon learns his identity.

I listened again with this in mind, and to me its not the Bruce Wayne voice, its the Batvoice, just toned down a whole lot. Which is great news obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

first thing i thought when i saw the trailer was bane climbing up into a " underground boxing ring" type thing to fight batman while people were watching chanting. batman is definately very tired at this stage that much is obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

first thing i thought when i saw the trailer was bane climbing up into a " underground boxing ring" type thing to fight batman while people were watching chanting. batman is definately very tired at this stage that much is obvious

Thought the same, and the man in the background is just a grunt, probably one of many, with guns trained on Batman, so he has to stay in the ring and fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mellor wrote: »
    I read elsewhere, that the latest theory was that when Gordon was talking to [Bale], who was off camera, [Bale] was using he normal voice - suggesting that Gordon learns his identity.

I listened again with this in mind, and to me its not the Bruce Wayne voice, its the Batvoice, just toned down a whole lot. Which is great news obviously
    Before the teaser hit, a set pic was leaked which had a stuntman in a suit with a ski mask on. He was getting ready to jump out of a window from a height.

So, fans have guessed that the stuntman was playing Wayne and it's tied into his visit to Gordon in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lol why the spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

heh

f6aa9fc9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Personally I think that cameraman in the background is Hugo Strange.

Dosen't he always some sort of white lab coat or something?

I fail to see how Bane is going to be the main villian, he's more of a henchman.

FlashD wrote: »
    Personally I think that cameraman in the background is Hugo Strange.

Dosen't he always some sort of white lab coat or something?

I fail to see how Bane is going to be the main villian, he's more of a henchman.

The Bane from the comic books isn't a henchman. You're thinking of the way it was portrayed in the Joel Schumacher version, which wasn't accurate

krudler wrote: »
    lol why the spoilers?

Having read through the Game of Thrones thread, I almost feel the need to spoiler block everything.

Wasn't sure if people on here have watched the teaser or wanted to know the content which I referenced a couple of times so I blocked it out...

Meh.

They're going to start filming in Pittsburg's streets this week - here's hoping WB releases a Catwoman promo before somebody posts a crappy phone photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They're going to start filming in Pittsburg's streets this week - here's hoping WB releases a Catwoman promo before somebody posts a crappy phone photo.

Grrr, I still dont like the sound of Catwoman being in it.

Ahh, not too fond of the character myself, but I know Nolan will do a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

syklops wrote: »
    Grrr, I still dont like the sound of Catwoman being in it.
    Has it been confirmed that catwoman is in it?
    I know Selena Kyle is, but it might just hint at catwoman towards the end.

kiddums wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that catwoman is in it?
    I know Selena Kyle is, but it might just hint at catwoman towards the end.

Yes I have seen the pictures.

Although maybe if catwoman is more cat burglar in the traditional sense, who wears a onesie and a mask(without the ears), it might be less comical.

And maybe Bane, is a normal thug albeit powerful, who discovers that an interesting side effect of the Scarecrow's scare-gas, is a huge increase in his strength and stamina due to ramp ups in his adrenaline, caused by Fight or Flight syndrome. The result is, with a short, strong dose of the gas he can fight longer and stronger than most men.

With something like that, Nolan could pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Although maybe if catwoman is more cat burglar in the traditional sense, who wears a onesie and a mask(without the ears), it might be less comical.

And maybe Bane, is a normal thug albeit powerful, who discovers that an interesting side effect of the Scarecrow's scare-gas, is a huge increase in his strength and stamina due to ramp ups in his adrenaline, caused by Fight or Flight syndrome. The result is, with a short, strong dose of the gas he can fight longer and stronger than most men.

With something like that, Nolan could pull it off.

Thing is, Bane in the comics is actually quite clever. He's more than a match for Batman physically and mentally. I assume this is where Nolan is going with Bane (and I'm delighted about that) rather than just having him there as muscle ala Batman & Robin.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Thing is, Bane in the comics is actually quite clever. He's more than a match for Batman physically and mentally. I assume this is where Nolan is going with Bane (and I'm delighted about that) rather than just having him there as muscle ala Batman & Robin.

Didn't know that. So he is more like Kingpin out of Spider-man.

Could bane be stepping in where the Joker left off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was wondering a while ago whether Nolan might use camera tricks to make Hardy look bigger than Bale, but the more I think about it the more unnecessary it seems. Bane doesn't defeat Batman in the comics because he's stronger than him but because he's smarter than him. So I think Nolan may make do with just making Bane Batman's physical equal. After that it's just a matter of Bane being smart enough to realise that Batman is only one man.

Pictures haven't beem released yet, so what ever you seen was fan made or speculation.
    One source I seen suggested it was more tactical, complete with googles
    I don't think scarecrows gas should have anything to do with it
    I was wondering a while ago whether Nolan might use camera tricks to make Hardy look bigger than Bale, but the more I think about it the more unnecessary it seems.
    Hardy is bigger than Bale.
    I know Bale put on a lot of weight for BB after coming off the Machinist, and he'll no doubt put on mass after The fighter. But Hardy be prob be back to Bronson size.

Not comically big like in Batman & Robin, just bigger enough so that he its clearly more physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Bit of an off the wall theory here, but not having really read the comics before, I did a bit of reading around Bane's backstory (already knew it was different to the previous movie incarnation, but wanted to have a look and see in exactly what way), and I'd wonder might Nolan be incorporating The Man who Broke the Bat?

For example, in the hospital bed scene, maybe Wayne is in a wheelchair visiting Gordon? Around 40 seconds into the teaser it looks like the silhouette of someone's head, most likely Wayne's, is low down, possibly seated, but it looks like he may not be facing Gordon directly - it would be odd to position a normal chair in this manner, but a wheelchair could be moved in the same manner as someone pacing to end up like this. In that case, perhaps Batman has already had his ass handed to him by Bane (and the end scene in the teaser may actually take place before the hospital scene), and unimpeded Bane is "rising" to rule the underworld. Consequently Wayne doesn't see a point to recover to the point of being Batman again, and Gordon is trying to convince him to do it, and that he is needed?

Damn my falling into the trap of the teaser and speculating based on most likely insignificant cues!

cython wrote: »
    Bit of an off the wall theory here, but not having really read the comics before, I did a bit of reading around Bane's backstory (already knew it was different to the previous movie incarnation, but wanted to have a look and see in exactly what way), and I'd wonder might Nolan be incorporating The Man who Broke the Bat?

For example, in the hospital bed scene, maybe Wayne is in a wheelchair visiting Gordon? Around 40 seconds into the teaser it looks like the silhouette of someone's head, most likely Wayne's, is low down, possibly seated, but it looks like he may not be facing Gordon directly - it would be odd to position a normal chair in this manner, but a wheelchair could be moved in the same manner as someone pacing to end up like this. In that case, perhaps Batman has already had his ass handed to him by Bane (and the end scene in the teaser may actually take place before the hospital scene), and unimpeded Bane is "rising" to rule the underworld. Consequently Wayne doesn't see a point to recover to the point of being Batman again, and Gordon is trying to convince him to do it, and that he is needed?

Damn my falling into the trap of the teaser and speculating based on most likely insignificant cues!
    The minute Bane was mentioned, so was breaking Batmans back. It's was and still is the most expected occurances.

But I think your scenerio is full of holes. For a start, gordon doesn't know that Bruce = Batman. He is speaking in his bat voice (although toned down from TDK), a stunt man in a window suggests he visits him as Batman.
    So whilr it may happen, I doubt it will happen like you say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It's definitely the same quieter voice he used when Bruce first makes contact (albeit in disguise) with Gordon in Batman Begins, at Police HQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It looks like there is a hand, glove-free in the bottom of the the shot with Gordan, so it's very possibly Bruce Wayne is sitting with Gordan as opposed to Batman. As for TDK, Gordan doesn't know who Batman is, but that doesn't mean he doesn't come to learn who he is over the course of next years movie

Advertisement