Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I see where you're coming from, but for the essence of Bane you just need someone who looks like they can go the distance and beat Batman physically. The problem with someone who towers over him like he does in the books is that he would look too powerful.

You're also talking about a relatively inexperienced Batman who up until now has largely been targeting punks and gangsters. You get the impression that TDK was set only months to a year maximum after Begins.

There would also be a problem of trying to do someone that much bigger in a way that doesn't make Bane look comical.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Those were lampposts.

If the monorail is in TDK I've never seen it. However, the Chicago El Train is visible in several scenes.

Ah right you are, and it was the train I was thinking of in TDK not the monorail. :o

I'm sure they'll film Hardy in a way that will make him look a bit bigger than bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Whats all them white bits flying around when there filming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Whats all them white bits flying around when there filming?
    Fake snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its really hollywood magic when you think about it :)
    These "winter" shots were in fact shot in the summer. But apart from the fake snow, the heavy winter clothing actors wear and other subtle winter things just trick us completely.

Im sure for anyone who hasnt seen those pics/videos would think it was filmed in winter :pac: ... i know this is nothing new within film making. But its still awesome when you step back and think about it every now and then. That what can be achieved by simple tricks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

krudler wrote: »
    was chatting to a friend about TDKR earlier who doesnt follow movies much, until release anyway, and he was suprised to hear Tom Hardy is playing Bane considering how massive he's portrayed in the comics, not that Hardy hasnt bulked up, he certainly has, but he doesnt tower over Batman like Bane should really , its a pity he probably wouldnt have had the acting chops to pull off the role but Nathan Jones would have been a great choice, purely for the size of him (he's that dude Brad Pitt fights in the opening of Troy)

Careful on what side of the web you say that on. :pac:

TBH I'm more than happy to take the trade off for Bane's traditional size in exchange for Tom Hardy. Hardy isn't just an excellent actor, he also has this amazing screen presence. This is most evident in Bronson, but even in his smaller roles such as Handsome Bob (:pac:) and Eames, he still somehow manages to own the screen. So, even though he doesn't have the typical size of Bane, the man still has the tools to come across as a menacing and intimidating mofo as Bane.
    LighterGuy wrote: »
    Its really hollywood magic when you think about it :)
    These "winter" shots were in fact shot in the summer. But apart from the fake snow, the heavy winter clothing actors wear and other subtle winter things just trick us completely.

Im sure for anyone who hasnt seen those pics/videos would think it was filmed in winter :pac: ... i know this is nothing new within film making. But its still awesome when you step back and think about it every now and then. That what can be achieved by simple tricks.

Aye, I know people have been underwhelmed by all the set photos, but I can't wait to see it all through Nolan's lens, I think it's going to be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Those were lampposts.

If the monorail is in TDK I've never seen it. However, the Chicago El Train is visible in several scenes.

Sure with the way Gotham changes I wouldn't be surprised if Gotham looked like London in TDKR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sure with the way Gotham changes I wouldn't be surprised if Gotham looked like London in TDKR.

Part of The Dark Knight was filmed in London.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Part of Rises was shot in London as well. That's were the building used for the Gotham police HQ is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its great the way you can take a little bit from here, a little bit from there to pretty much make your own city through the lens.

Of course, if you got the budget :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

what i really hope for in the new film is good fight scenes between batman and bane,the fights in the other batman films werent too bad but they lacked that satisfying crunch like you got from the bourne films and taken or even the batman under the red hood film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Its great the way you can take a little bit from here, a little bit from there to pretty much make your own city through the lens.

Of course, if you got the budget :pac:

Whatever issues BB had with it's version of Gotham - and it certainly wasn't perfect - there was at least an attempt to create something visually distinct with it's own identity, all I see in TDK version of Gotham is straight up Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Whatever issues BB had with it's version of Gotham - and it certainly wasn't perfect - there was at least an attempt to create something visually distinct with it's own identity, all I see in TDK version of Gotham is straight up Chicago.

Replacing a dank looking new york style city with a glass sky scraper clad LA style is one thing.
    But replacing the italian mobsters with the suit clad fifty cent style 'gangstas' was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Replacing a dank looking new york style city with a glass sky scraper clad LA style is one thing.
    But replacing the italian mobsters with the suit clad fifty cent style 'gangstas' was desperate.

stands to reason there'd be a black gangster figure, same as there was an Italian and greasy looking Eastern European one, gotta fit all those gangster cliches in there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What was so bad about that?
    The italian mob weren't replaced, they were still in TDK. It makes sense that there would also be 'gangstas' in a city like Gotham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Irish-American gangsters for TDKR ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Irish-American gangsters for TDKR ?!

Fitzy from The Departed FTW :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

First pics of what could possibly be the new Bat Cave.

Looks like they went to town on those suggested improvements on the south east corner of the foundations :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    First pics of what could possibly be the new Bat Cave.

Looks like they went to town on those suggested improvements on the south east corner of the foundations :)

nooooo, its too elaborate, least in begins its just a cave, how vould that be built without someone noticing?

krudler wrote: »
    nooooo, its too elaborate, least in begins its just a cave, how vould that be built without someone noticing?

After looking at the article again and I just realised those are photos of the actual Turda Mines.My bad. :o

So its a location they're using not the actual design of the cave, even so if that's going to be the location then it's going to be a pretty elaborate batcave. I always wondered how Batman built his cave without anyone noticing, maybe he just assasinates all the construction workers? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Still, who does Bruce Wayne contract to build his Bat Caves for him? Surely himself and Alfred don't put all that cabling and random platforms in themselves? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's one of the holes in the Batman story.

But the same applies even more so to his batsuit, batmobile and any other batman specific item, so don't worry about the batcave

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mellor wrote: »
    It's one of the holes in the Batman story.

But the same applies even more so to his batsuit, batmobile and any other batman specific item, so don't worry about the batcave

well, in the new movies is is all explained quite handily - no idea about the batcave, but the suit, bat mobile, gadgets - all explained.

In the cartoon, Batman had a garage he would bring the car to. In the 60's TV show he would sometimes talk about having to go shopping for batman stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Watch a few episodes of "The fabulous life of..." and some of the homes of celebrities and billionaires don't seem quite so different from a mansion sitting on top of high tech cave.

I doubt Bruce Wayne got a few builders in and asked them to build him a walk in wardrobe for his batsuits, a giant bat computer and a funky disco laser setup. Because that would just look, err, stupid:

batmanforevercave.jpg

Some real life examples:
    A garage's main purpose continues to be storing cars, but that doesn't mean it has to look like a garage. Driving into David Rodrigues' four-car garage is like entering your family room. The Pewaukee (Wis.) builder spent $20,000 just on wood-paneled walls, red alder pantry-style cabinets, and a bronze stained floor. There are also wall-mounted racks for golf and ski gear, and a lift system to keep his Heritage Harley-Davidson motorcycle off the floor.

Lawyer Bob Wade spent about $275,000 to build an unassuming 2,400-square-foot cedar garage at the foot of his driveway in Northampton County in eastern Pennsylvania. But inside, it's more like a museum to house his collection of six classic cars, including a 1965 Porsche Cabriolet. The space features a 130-square-foot work area and a hydraulic car lift. It even has a shower so Wade can clean up when he's finished working on the cars.

So I don't think a billionaire playboy would need to "top" any of his construction crew, as long as he is smart and hangs the batman wall symbols up himself.

Anyway, why was no one asking these questions when his secret hideout in TDK was built? Hello, a large underground unit with a secret entrance built into a cargo container and retractable stands for a PC and batsuit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The excuse used in the first movie was that components were built in a modular fashion by different companies; it wouldn't be hard to have different construction firms build small, specific parts, without being privy to the whole plan. Lord I'm such a nerd sometimes :)

The underground installation in TDK might have been there already having been built for a different purpose.

As for the cave in TDKR, maybe there will be an explanation for that.

The underground installation in TDK might have been there already having been built for a different purpose.

I always just assumed it was some dissused Wayne Enterprises installation, was it even made clear it was at the mansion in TDK?

It definitely wasn't at the mansion. It looked like a storage yard.

the cave was explained really well in Begins, its just a cave, theres an elevator down to the foundations of the house that had been there years, he whacks some computers and the tumbler in there, bam, batcave.

• Advertisement

It definitely wasn't at the mansion. It looked like a storage yard.

Ah right, that's what I thought, picked your post up wrong.

Advertisement