Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

e_e wrote: »
    Was that Aiden Gillen?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

That prologue reminds me an awful lot of the opening heist in the film "Cliffhanger"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

Can anyone tell me if Warner Bros released the Dark Knight prologue online at any stage or was it just bootlegged copies until the film was released?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hedman wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Warner Bros released the Dark Knight prologue online at any stage or was it just bootlegged copies until the film was released?

I answered this earlier. No, it was only released in IMAX and on the Batman Begins Blu-ray. it was never officially released online and only turned up as bootlegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

I answered this earlier. No, it was only released in IMAX and on the Batman Begins Blu-ray. it was never officially released online and only turned up as bootlegs.

Sorry i missed your earlier post, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Just back from seeing this at the Imax. Hugely disappointing, I don't have high hopes for this movie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

al28283 wrote: »
    Just back from seeing this at the Imax. Hugely disappointing, I don't have high hopes for this movie :(

Pourquoi?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Watched the leaked version earlier, July needs to get its skates on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What was in the prologue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dempsey wrote: »
    What was in the prologue?
    You mean the TDK one?

• Advertisement

You mean the TDK one?

Ah, I misread, I though you said there was a Batman Begins prologue that was only shown in IMAX theatres or on the Blu Ray.

TDK prologue was the bank job, yeah?

Yeah, it was the opening sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

tonyob2 wrote: »

Dark Knight Rises insider notes
    STOP READING if you don't want to know anything about the upcoming Dark Knight Rises movie. These are just some plot points from an insider's point of view. Chris has vowed everyone to secrecy and no one, even the producers, know the full story. Talking about the plot amongst other crew members or the actors is highly taboo and honestly no one has attempted, at least in my circles. However, I will share what I know and trust this won't get disseminated too broadly. The film is approaching total editing phase and thus I am 100% sure that these events have been filmed and may only be altered due to editing.
    - Obviously, the sneak preview that was shown to the public is the beginning of the movie. Here we are introduced to Bane, in a sequence occurring immediately after the events of The Dark Knight.
    - Nolan's subtle political theme involves how much truth is too much, and how much is better left in the shadows. The city is distraught of the murder of Harvey Dent. Half the citizens call for the surrender or Batman, the other suspect a conspiracy. Bane begins an underground "truth" campaign, telling Gotham that Batman is actually just a political puppet and they are being lied to.
    - Bane is a cancer patient who's cancer has metastasized to his bones, causing excruciating pain. However, he refuses to be crippled by his disease. He regularly exercises, but only because he has custom aerosolized Dilaudid (an opiate pain medication) pumping through a mask.
    - Bane inspires Gotham in Batman's absence. People are moved by the cancer patient will to live and seek truth. Bane quickly organizes a militant rally to protest outside Mayor Garcia's office building.
    - Batman, in hiding, decides that Bane may share similar goals as an "idea" to inspire the people, but is concerned about Bane's methods. He monitors the rally, which soon turns violent, with the crowd clashing with the police.
    - Bane leads the charge and manages to break through the police line. Batman finally emerges from hiding. He briefly battles Bane but is sidetracked when a young police officer named John Blake is almost killed and Batman takes him aside to safety.
    - Bane reaches the mayor and takes him to the balcony. He forces Garcia to apologize for all the harm and corruption that has befallen Gotham over the past few years. The crowd hails Bane as a savior and the police are forced to stand down.
    - Later that night the National Guard is called in to restore order in Gotham, but in only a matter of hours, the entire city seems to be united under Bane's coup. They hail him as the virtual successor to Harvey Dent. Bane initially announces a quick and peaceful victory, but things get out of hand and law enforcement begins firing on the civilians and vice versa.
    - Batman tracks down Bane in the commotion in order to stop the crisis. However, Bane is fully ready for Batman and engages him in a physical battle.
    - Bane literally mutilates Batman for an extended torture sequence and unmasks him. He spares Bruce's life and also vows to never expose his identity, as long as Batman never returns. Bane takes Batman's cowl and holds it to the crowd and news cameras and declares victory over Batman and corruption.
    - John Blake takes Bruce into his car and drives him away to safety. Bruce gives him directions to Wayne Manor. The scene dims as Blake and Alfred tend to a literally crippled Bruce Wayne.
    8 years later
    - A new mayor has been reinstated into Gotham after the incident 8 years earlier. Martial law had been imposed on the city and nearly all of the politicians and law enforcement officers had resigned and been replaced. Crime has been at an all time low for years and everyone remembers the heroic efforts of the city's heroes Harvey Dent and Bane, the latter of which was reported to have died of cancer (this is all told through a news telecast via a documentary style sequence).
    - It turns out that the new administration in Gotham is highly manipulated and puppeteered by the League of Shadows, of which Bane is still alive and an active member of.
    - Bruce Wayne is a cripple, having gone through 8 years of agonizing physical and medical therapy. He walks with a cane. We see him coming to a gala promoting a new paradigm of police force in Gotham City. Here Bruce and others express their concern that the new police force is far too invasive of peoples' privacies and is unlawful. Lucius Fox is vehemently against this and later that week dies of questionable causes.
    - Bruce suspects foul play but cannot investigate because of his physical condition. His caretaker and girlfriend Selina Kyle has actually been training under Bruce all this time and agrees to investigate Fox's murder. She employs a cat burglar outfit and breaks into the mayor's building to find answers. She is discovered but gets away with crucial information linking the administration with Lucius Fox's death. She becomes a fugitive and cannot get to Bruce without compromising herself.
    - Meanwhile, the League of Shadows pushes the police force to go ahead with the plans. The police now don body armor and employ very lethal tactics. John Blake is a member of the elite task force but is uncomfortable with the situation.
    - Selina Kyle is taking refuge at former Commissioner Gordon's house. The elite police force raid the house, killing Gordon's wife and son, and injuring Gordon and his daughter. Gordon's daughter tries to rescue her father and a police enforcer goes to shoot her. Blake saves her by killing the officer. Blake then kills the rest of the squad in cold blood. He escapes with Selina, but leaves behind Gordon and his daughter because they are injured.
    - Bane and the League of Shadows hear of this and are angered, so they organize an assault on Wayne Manor. Blake and Selina rush to the Manor, but arrive too late. Bruce and Alfred have organized an elaborate defense, but ultimately Alfred is killed and Bruce is forced to hobble into the Batcave for safety.
    - Bane comes down into the Batcave to finish off Bruce, but Blake arrives in time to save Bruce. They are trapped and Bane is only slightly injured,so Blake assumes a part of the Batman costume, he fights Bane off successfully. Bruce, Blake, and Selina escape.
    - Bane gets in to the Batwing and chases them into the city. He is eventually brought down by Selina. Against Bruce's wishes, Blake, in Batman costume, engages Bane on the street in front of a crowd. No one interferes but it is televised. Blake gets the upper hand in the fight and brutally murders Bane. Again, Bruce, Selina, and Blake escape.
    - The city mourns the death of Bane and is in almost absolute unanimity about finding and killing Batman. Bruce and Blake argue about Blake assuming the mantle of the Bat.
    - Blake, as Batman, hunts down the rest of the League of Shadows and kills them with conventional methods. He uses automatic rifles and grenades to fight them, much to Bruce disapproval.
    - A militia army surrounds the Gotham Hospital where Gordon is staying. They want him dead because of his past association with Batman. Bruce is visiting Gordon when this happens. Gordon is killed and mutilated by an angry crowd in front of Bruce. Bruce takes Gordon's daughter Barbara to safety.
    - Meanwhile, Blake has successfully destroyed the League of Shadows overseasand discovers past history of Ra's Al Ghul, whom he discovers is still alive. Ra's is crippled from his battle with Batman a decade earlier. Before Blake goes to kill him, Ra's offers to train Blake to be stronger and deadlier than Batman ever was.
    Years later (it is implied but not specified)
    - Bruce has recovered significantly from his condition. He lives on a farm in Europe with his wife Selina, Gordon's daughter Barbara, and, yes, there is mention of their farmhand Dick Grayson, whom Bruce has taken in like a son (no lie).
    - Blake has returned to Gotham as Batman, this time as an agent of the League of Shadows, killing all who would stand in his way. His identity in the League of Shadows is now known as Azrael.
    - Bruce returns to Gotham to confront Azrael after he had mowed down a crowd of deliquent teenagers with a firearm. Again, this is a public confrontation, but between the two Batmans. Batman takes off his mask to reveal he is Bruce Wayne and that he has conquered his fears and it is finally time for him to return as the "Prince of Gotham."
    - Bruce defeats Azrael and the crowd hails Bruce as their true savior.
    Flashforward (again)
    Batman steps up to a rooftop as the crowd hails"Batman." Two younger sidekicks are partially seen behind him as the movie ends.

Doubt any of this is true, but fair play to the fanboy who made it up.

Doesn't tally with this trailer description. Of course both could be completely bull:

-starts out young kid singing national anthem at the gotham football stadium
    -you see bane in jacket climbing up onto a ledge
    -cuts to inside a fancy house with a covered dinner plate (the more a saw this part the weirder it seemed because the camera hangs onto this shot for a few seconds) and alfred begins his voice over
    -Alfred- "You're as precious to me as you were to you're own mother and father"
    -cut to alfred speaking- "I swore to them that I would protect you..."
    -cut to bruce obviously listening to
    -Alfred- "...but I haven't"
    -over shot of gotham
    -title cards "from director christopher nolan"
    - next shot is some sort of dinner party with the mayor and Gordon
    -Mayor shakes Gordon's hand as he seems like he is about to give a speach
    -two other political figures it seems are talking about Gordon
    -politician 1- "The mayor is going to dump him"(referring to Gordon)
    -politician 2- "Really/"
    -politician 1- "mmhmm"
    -politician 2- "But he's a hero"
    -politician 1- "A war hero, this is peace time'
    -shot of a shadowy figure on a balcony walking away doesn't look like batman though
    -behind shot of bruce walking into a large mansion like part with i think rose pettles falling from the ceiling and selina kyle begins speaking
    - selina- "There's a storm coming mister Wayne" shot of her dancing within bruce with a masquerade type mask on
    -cut to what looks like bane punching the ground and chaos errupts with the people around looks like its in a dark ally type of place but its hard to tell where it is
    -shot of bane in jacket from the front walking past the camera till you see he his walking towards what looks to be a group of thugs again in a dark ally type of setting
    -shot of Selina looking at herself in a mirrior wearing a dress and putting a necklace on, Selina- you can do something "by battoning down the hatches"
    -shot of gordon kicking in a door with a gun and flashlight drawn and immediately after there is an explosion behind him
    -Selina talking- cant really make put what she says im sorry i know but what i did get was "cause you will wonder how you could get so large and leave so little for the rest of us"
    -while she is talking there is a scene of people and chairs being tossed from the top of the steps over a balcony of what looks to be a really nice house or even a government building while others at the bottome cower in fear
    -shot of men pulling someone out from underneath a desk who is trying to fight back with no luck
    -back to Selina still talking whispering now into bruce's ear
    -shot of bruce standing back with a dumbfounded look on his face
    -cut to a shot of prisoners armed with AK-47s emerging from a blown out hole from what looks like a prision steel wall (there are a lot of them) and as the camera pans from right to left you see banes legs showing he is by himself waiting for the immates to come to him.
    -Chanting begins and at first you think its coming from the immates but the scene shifts to a football kicker the stadium ready for kickoff chanting still being heard.
    -Shot of bane walking up towards the feild from what looks the tunnel the players come out from as he is still hidden in darkness, chanting still happening
    - shot of bruce in a prison type cell but he opens the gate and looks like an underground jail which is where the actually chanting is coming from the other people of prisoners there
    - Bruce turns to an older guy (no idea who it is but looks to be imprisoned there too) and asks- "what does that mean/"
    - Old guy - "Rise"
    -cut to bane back in the tunnle at the stadium flipping a switch to a device in his hand
    -darkness
    - than the scene where the football player is running towards the endzone camera is in front of him so we see that the feild is being leveled behind him swallowing up other players but he has no clue until he scores, turns around, and see's the field is gone, not the stadium though, just the field from one endzone to the other.
    - Bane speaking with a shot of bruce laying down with a cut or lump on his head either way he looks in bad shape, but bane says "When Gotham is in ashes.."
    -shot of bane looking down at im guessing bruce "...you'll have my permission to die."
    -title card "next summer" and that same chanting begins and lasts till the end
    -shot of Marion Cotillard with a masquerade mask and she lowers it
    -shot of bruce who is standing in front of her with a grin
    -shot of mayber batman jumping down from a building?
    -Selina in regular clothes walking inside the football stadium
    -title card "the epic conclusion"
    -shot of batman aiming that gadget that was on the cover of that one magazine sorry vague i know but its verticle and looks like light is comming out of it
    -shot of tumbler exploding into a large armored tractor trailer
    -assassins repelling into the well that was shown in the teaser
    - shot of bane with bare arms holding his chest looking up
    - shot of Joseph Gordon-Levitt quickly walking through a hallway through a door
    - title card" to the dark knight legend"
    - riot going on and a shot of batman preparing to fight bane as he comes walking up to him and this shot is from those leaked video and pictures where they are outside the white building with pillars and chaos is happening all around
    - tumber shoots at that same building
    -back to bane comeing closer to batman and batman hits him with a right hook
    -bane ducks its a fast scene but they are about to really get into it
    - more repelling assassins
    - shot of tumbler being chased by batwing mid day on the city streets
    - and than the same shot at the end of the teaser where the buildings are crumbling and the camera moves up towards the white outlined bat symbol
    - title card all white background "Dark Knight Rises"

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

that large fan boy copy and paste earlier was shocking! i only copped on after about a dozen lines down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Just watched the Prologue. Hmmmm, cant help singing some song:

"..I've got a license to kill (to kill) and you know im going straight for your heart!" oh-ooh... gotta license to kill..."

Hmmm, I wonder if Christopher Nolan knows that song too :pac:

The prologue is very Bondian alright. As is Bane. He's like a cross between Blofield (the Telly Savalas one) and Jaws. But there was a lot of Bond influences in the previous two films as well. Nolan's whole editing style is very strongly influenced by Peter Hunt's work on the Bond films.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

The prologue is very Bondian alright. As is Bane. He's like a cross between Blofield (the Telly Savalas one) and Jaws. But there was a lot of Bond influences in the previous two films as well. Nolan's whole editing style is very strongly influenced by Peter Hunt's work on the Bond films.

The Joker in TDK was a very unipolar character tbh. it would make sense that Bane would be an equally strong character here.

I do expect him to be a very strong villain, but based on the prologue I'm not expecting him to be anything like the Joker. He's shaping up to be a very cold and calm figure. There are similarities with the Joker's bank heist in TDK, but there are also critical differences. The Joker's accomplices were all hired goons who quickly turned on each other. Where as Bane's guys happily go their death for him. That's some impressive loyalty that he inspires.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I do expect him to be a very strong villain, but based on the prologue I'm not expecting him to be anything like the Joker. He's shaping up to be a very cold and calm figure. There are similarities with the Joker's bank heist in TDK, but there are also critical differences. The Joker's accomplices were all hired goons who quickly turned on each other. Where as Bane's guys happily go their death for him. That's some impressive loyalty that he inspires.

Well I doubt any of 'em would want to cross him.

'What happens if I take off your mask?'
    'It would be extremely painful'
    'You're a big guy-' (or somefin like that)
    'For you'

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Every link i have opened to see the prologue is gone, can anyone PM me a good link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Doesn't tally with this trailer description. Of course both could be completely bull:
    -starts out young kid singing national anthem at the gotham football stadium
    -you see bane in jacket climbing up onto a ledge
    -cuts to inside a fancy house with a covered dinner plate (the more a saw this part the weirder it seemed because the camera hangs onto this shot for a few seconds) and alfred begins his voice over
    -Alfred- "You're as precious to me as you were to you're own mother and father"
    -cut to alfred speaking- "I swore to them that I would protect you..."
    -cut to bruce obviously listening to
    -Alfred- "...but I haven't"
    -over shot of gotham
    etc

Having just watched a leaked trailer online ... everything you wrote is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Having just watched a leaked trailer online ... everything you wrote is accurate.

Yep, here's a shakycam version of it, probably won't be up for long:

EDIT: Video has been removed.

I only watched a few little snippets, but it seems to tally with the description posted by speedboatchase.

And it's gone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the trailer is ****ing cool. the football pitch scene looks amazing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Im starting to think Bane will top Heath Ledger's Joker.

Where is the nearest IMAX??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Temaz wrote: »
    Im starting to think Bane will top Heath Ledger's Joker.

With Tom Hardy the certainly have a guy capable of pulling it off.I really cant wait to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Unfortunately I don't think this movie will live up to its hype. Nolan has not directed a bad movie yet and is due one soon. Look at pixar they had a series of next to near flawless films then released cars 2.

Lower your expectations, it's the hope that kills you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Dempsey wrote: »
    Where is the nearest IMAX??!!
    Depending on where you're based in Ireland .... then probably Manchester or Glasgow are the nearest screens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

So not only do I have to resist watching a leaked prologue in crappy quality, now I have to resist watching the trailer in crappy quality as well as avoiding descriptions......

FUUU.png

Advertisement