Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Mellor wrote: »
    The 2751st post, in a thread started over two years ago, for a film that's 2 months away - is talking about a lack of hype. :D

:D True.

.....and it also has one of the highest view counts possibly double any other film on here at a staggering 220,326 views.

The hype on this is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

bullvine wrote: »
    any highres versions of the pics around?

Hi Res ones here!

Click into them separately!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170739-new-banners-for-christopher-nolans-the-dark-knight-rises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Smithey88 wrote: »
    Is it me or is the hype behind this not quite as big as the dark knight back in 2008?

Agreed. Sure I didn't even know there was a new Batman film coming out until about a month after the last one opened in the cinemas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The internet hype is pretty substantial and has been for some time. As for awareness amongst the general public...not so much. If this were a new Twiglet or Harry Potter film they'd probably be more aware of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

More banners (They're massive so I'm just gonna link to 'em)

http://i.imgur.com/ekb81.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lc1PD.jpg

Looks like marketing is in full swing, also is anyone else reminded of this

BatmanFancy.jpg

By that second one?

Apparently the current cut is 3 hours +

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Apparently the current cut is 3 hours +[/URL]

Fine with me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The angle and depth of field on some of those banners are bugging me. Bane's poster, when viewed bigger, you can see how rough the surrounding crowd look. Like cardboard cut-outs of sprites.

Dunno, for a high-profile movie like this I'm just finding alot of the posters to be alot less polished and professional looking than the other 2 films.

Insignificant complaint and won't affect me seeing the movie but I always take interest in the marketing to films, especially films of this calibre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The banners would have been okay with a bit more work, but the theatrical one-sheet is terrible. See the gif below to get an idea of how long it took them to throw it together in Photoshop.

tumblr_m4ej2vpjYj1qexqmio1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Regardless of that poster, they've more than made up for it with what has followed it over the past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://i.imgur.com/lc1PD.jpg

Looks like marketing is in full swing, also is anyone else reminded of this

BatmanFancy.jpg

By that second one?
    the way he is staring straight into the lens is bugging the hell out of me, like his head should have been cocked sideways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is another one that is on the official website that can be scanned from a smartphone.

http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/catwomanbig.jpg

For those who have MTV, there is a nice treat in there as well. June 3rd is a night to look forward to for us all.

http://batman-news.com/2012/05/25/exclusive-the-dark-knight-rises-footage-debut-mtv-movie-awards/

This campaign just keeps getting on better and better.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One more poster: Catwoman Stomps (hi-res)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Forgive me for asking what must be the most over-asked question about this film (I've never read the comics), but what do you guys think the likelihood is that Batman will be killed? It is Bane, and it is the final film of This series...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Forgive me for asking what must be the most over-asked question about this film (I've never read the comics), but what do you guys think the likelihood is that Batman will be killed? It is Bane, and it is the final film of This series...?

Batman no, Bruce Wayne maybe

I don't think Bane will defeat him at the end, but I do think that a sacrifice to save the city is a strong possibility. I'm hearing a lot of rumours about the ending, and without spoiling it, the message is generally consistent: the ending will be very emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

dr gonzo wrote: »

I think it is unlikely that Bruce Wayne or Batman could be killed
    I don't think Bane will defeat him at the end, but I do think that a sacrifice to save the city is a strong possibility. I'm hearing a lot of rumours about the ending, and without spoiling it, the message is generally consistent: the ending will be very emotional.
    I wouldn't be surprised at the end there was an introduction of a young Dick Grayson as there is so much yet to tell in this DC Universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There will definitely be a sacrifice. Either Bruce dies defeating Bane or ends up crippled. But whatever happens I don't think there's going to be a passing of the baton. That would just leave it open to a sequel, and Nolan's comments suggest he really does intend to end things with this film. If he doesn't, I'll be very disappointed. After all, the tagline is "the legend ends". The "legend" refers to Batman, not Bruce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There will definitely be a sacrifice. Either Bruce dies defeating Bane or ends up crippled. But whatever happens I don't think there's going to be a passing of the baton. That would just leave it open to a sequel, and Nolan's comments suggest he really does intend to end things with this film. If he doesn't, I'll be very disappointed. After all, the tagline is "the legend ends". The "legend" refers to Batman, not Bruce.
    In the comic books he does end up with a broken back at one stage but I think an older Grayson fills in until he recovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he does really badly injure himself but they can't remove hope at the end of the movie?

There will definitely be no passing of the torch or open to interpretation endings, Nolan has made sure to emphasise that he is bringing a definitive ending to his trilogy.

• Advertisement

In the comic books he does end up with a broken back at one stage but I think an older Grayson fills in until he recovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he does really badly injure himself but they can't remove hope at the end of the movie?

The hope will be that Gotham is at peace and no longer needs a Batman to protect it. Just because Batman dies or ends up crippled doesn't mean that Bane wins.

I think Bane beats the shit out of Bruce in their first encounter and is imprisoned by Bane (no back breaking though). While Bruce is MIA, I think John Blake takes up the mantel of trying to hunt down Bane/figuring out where Batman is, but purely as John Blake (he won't put on the cowl).

I think Batman will "rise" in the end and defeat Bane, but whatever Bane's plans are, they are already in motion, which in turn ties in to Bruce having to sacrifice himself to save the city.

That is just how I think it goes down, I'm not privy to any info.

There will definitely be no passing of the torch or open to interpretation endings, Nolan has made sure to emphasise that he is bringing a definitive ending to his trilogy.

But he's also mentioned that others might continue the series

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I think it is unlikely that Bruce Wayne or Batman could be killed

What are you basing this on. Considering they have killed Wayne off in the comics before, and Nolan might see that as a very fitting end to his trilogy.
    I wouldn't be surprised at the end there was an introduction of a young Dick Grayson as there is so much yet to tell in this DC Universe.

Nolan has sworn up and down he would never include Robin in his films, and Bale has said he would refuse to shoot if Robin was written in.

al28283 wrote: »
    But he's also mentioned that others might continue the series

When? Warner Bros. announced over a year ago that they are rebooting the series after this film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Smithey88

I wonder why Nolan and Bale dislike Robin so much?

Or maybe its just they both feel Robin would be such a wrong move in Nolan's take on Batman?

When? Warner Bros. announced over a year ago that they are rebooting the series after this film.

He's said it in a few interviews a while back, even if WB decide to reboot it, it means there is nothing in the story which would prevent it being continued. Of course he might just be lying

I wonder why Nolan and Bale dislike Robin so much?

Or maybe its just they both feel Robin would be such a wrong move in Nolan's take on Batman?

He'd just be too out of place in the universe Nolan has created. He's established a world where Batman is very much human and has the scars to show it, so no way could a teenage Robin be convincingly integrated into this story. If Bruce can barely look after himself, how could he justify bringing along a kid with him?

Plus, even though some will argue that the villains have been the star of the show in this franchise, the story IMO is still all about Bruce's journey. There's just no reason to add Robin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I don't know about Nolan / Bale, but personally I'd hate to see Robin; I've never appreciated the point of the character, it's never worked for me.

My theory is that Batman will die at the end of this film. Not Brucey himself, but the trailer and connecting the dots seems to point to Wayne coming out of retirement and saving Gotham one last time, making the ultimate sacrifice in the process.

The clear message in the previous two film anyway was Batman as a symbol, whether it be of vengeance, justice or hope; not the hero Gotham deserves etc. So as a symbol the final step could be as a martyr, the Dark Knight who gives 'his' life to save the city from Bane / itself.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yes.

Advertisement