Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well I don't know about Nolan / Bale, but personally I'd hate to see Robin; I've never appreciated the point of the character, it's never worked for me.

My theory is that Batman will die at the end of this film. Not Brucey himself, but the trailer and connecting the dots seems to point to Wayne coming out of retirement and saving Gotham one last time, making the ultimate sacrifice in the process.

The clear message in the previous two film anyway was Batman as a symbol, whether it be of vengeance, justice or hope; not the hero Gotham deserves etc. So as a symbol the final step could be as a martyr, the Dark Knight who gives 'his' life to save the city from Bane / itself.

Yeah I agree and actually I can see it being left open for Gordon-Levitt to take the mantle afterwards. Let's face it; as much as WB appreciate what Nolan has done I think they would prefer if a few strands were left open should they want to continue in that same universe, rather than another full-on reboot - especially if they want to mimic Marvel with a Justice League film in the future.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I agree and actually I can see it being left open for Gordon-Levitt to take the mantle afterwards. Let's face it; as much as WB appreciate what Nolan has done I think they would prefer if a few strands were left open should they want to continue in that same universe, rather than another full-on reboot - especially if they want to mimic Marvel with a Justice League film in the future.

If they're going the JLA route I really don't think Nolan's universe would be compatible with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If they're going the JLA route I really don't think Nolan's universe would be compatible with it.

yeah me either, a JLA movie would conflict with the supposed real world style of Nolans universe. a Batman reboot with a JLA movie in mind would set it up better, leave Nolans trilogy alone as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

sorry if this is going slighty off topic but ive always felt uneasy about the character robin.i have read a few comics in which he appears and he is interesting but i find it hard to believe that batman would put robins life in danger by letting him fight crime beside him.it just seems irresponsible of batman to let robin do that.

it just seems to my mind that it goes against batmans ethics to put a persons life at risk like that.it would be interesting to know if they ever addressed this issue in the comic books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Only 811 days to go.
    757 down, 54 to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

al28283 wrote: »
    He's said it in a few interviews a while back, even if WB decide to reboot it, it means there is nothing in the story which would prevent it being continued. Of course he might just be lying

Link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Your not Batman anymore

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the hell? did he drop a sh1tload of weight again or that digitally done?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is not the tumbler but another car from a famous race.

http://batman-news.com/2012/05/26/dale-earnhardt-jr-unveils-winning-mountain-dew-the-dark-knight-rises-race-car-video/

This is probably excite you as a new development but WB have lifted set visit report embargoes for the TDKR. I think these all the new set reports are seen from the following link.

http://batman-news.com/2012/05/28/the-dark-knight-rises-set-visit-roundup/#more-6216

I can assure there is loads of stuff to get through here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I am disappoint at the lack of PR Cotillard is receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I am disappoint at the lack of PR Cotillard is receiving.

Certain 9/11 comments by Cotillard may have had her sidelined by Warners PR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's got nothing to do with it. They are trying to keep her character's identity a secret. There's only so much dodging she can do in interviews.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Certain 9/11 comments by Cotillard may have had her sidelined by Warners PR.

What's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What's this?

Came out with some conspiracy stuff few years back and let it slip again recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Those comments were taken out context. It was several years ago, before she won the Oscar, but the quotes only turned up shortly after. Bloggers occasionally dig them up again when there's a slow news day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

That's got nothing to do with it. They are trying to keep her character's identity a secret. There's only so much dodging she can do in interviews.

Definitely some covering up of her character's identity. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's and her character seem to be the unknown factors for this film. Both seem like they should have fairly prominent roles but they just won't let us know, t'is a fantastic way to build hype. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Smithey88

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Definitely some covering up of her character's identity. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's and her character seem to be the unknown factors for this film. Both seem like they should have fairly prominent roles but they just won't let us know, t'is a fantastic way to build hype. :D

Definitely agree.
    Alot of down-playing on both characters so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Nothing wrong with the actors, filmmakers and studio wanting to keep as much as they can secret for us so we're not completely spoiled for what will happen once we enter cinema theatres. I am glad they are not talking more about their characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Im retired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

AArrgghhh really have to stop watching trailers and tv spots for it. It's looking great but I don't want to ruin it - but I can't help myself.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think the trailers are giving as much away as you might think, it was the same with the Dark Knight, I saw all the trailers leading up to it, thought I knew loads and then when I watched the film I had no idea where it was going. Hoping its the same with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Interview in the new edition of Empire would indicate
    that Wayne survives!
    Could be totally misleading of course.

"My understanding is that this is the last one. I think it's appropriate, I think it's going out at the right time.
    But...if Chris came to me with a script and said, 'You know what? There is another story' then I would love the challenge of making a fourth one work."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Smithey88 wrote: »
    I wonder why Nolan and Bale dislike Robin so much?

Or maybe its just they both feel Robin would be such a wrong move in Nolan's take on Batman?

Batman has always had that great struggle between Bruce's life and Batman's life. The playboy, billionaire businessman living with the late night, crime busting dark knight. How he balances his work, his play and his vigilante work. How he deals with his past trauma and his current love lives. The decisions he makes impacting on his own physical and mental health while putting strain on relationships around him. His contstant need to fix things and his fear that he is letting the city down.

Gotham is dark, vile, posionous city. The politicians are corrupt, the police force bent and spread thin of genuine men of justice, the wealthy stay wealthy and control the citizens with fear and appeasement. The criminals are either genius masterminds or reckless chaos worshipers. Gotham needs a hero, a figure to fight for justice against villians and corruption. Batman is the sole figure for the people (whether they want him or not) he is their hero and their anti-hero.

Introducing another hero, like Robin, I think would dilute all of the sacrifice and choices of the past that Bruce has had to inveset into Batman and the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Batman has always had that great struggle between Bruce's life and Batman's life. The playboy, billionaire businessman living with the late night, crime busting dark knight. How he balances his work, his play and his vigilante work. How he deals with his past trauma and his current love lives. The decisions he makes impacting on his own physical and mental health while putting strain on relationships around him. His contstant need to fix things and his fear that he is letting the city down.

Gotham is dark, vile, posionous city. The politicians are corrupt, the police force bent and spread thin of genuine men of justice, the wealthy stay wealthy and control the citizens with fear and appeasement. The criminals are either genius masterminds or reckless chaos worshipers. Gotham needs a hero, a figure to fight for justice against villians and corruption. Batman is the sole figure for the people (whether they want him or not) he is their hero and their anti-hero.

Introducing another hero, like Robin, I think would dilute all of the sacrifice and choices of the past that Bruce has had to inveset into Batman and the City.

Nicely put. I'd also add that Robin as a symbol does not instil any sense of menace and indeed his colourful outfit does nothing for camouflage in the dark streets of Gotham that The Batman relies on so heavily. Not to mention the fact that a grown man playing dress-up with a child and running around getting into inappropriately dangerous situations has something very off about it.

Personally I can't stand the character and think he adds exactly zero to the mythology and arguably subtracts from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Bullseye1 wrote: »

That's fairly old news by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is it? I thought this was his and Chris Nolans last outing?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

al28283 wrote: »
    That's fairly old news by now

Not really... they've both explicitly said they were in it for 3 movies. Since the time of TDK at least, if not earlier. Also it's just a throw-away remark from an interview, I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Advertisement

He may just be saying he's open to a fourth to avoid spoiling the ending. I've found most of Bale's comments so far to be suggestive of a fairly definitive ending for Batman and Bruce Wayne. I don't really see how this film can be considered, as Bale suggests, the "end of this guy's story" if it leaves things open for another sequel.

Advertisement