Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At first I was pretty neutral regarding the styling of the mask. No better of worse than the expected mexican wrestler's mask. But it's really grown on me and the more I think about it's better for the batman's equal version of bane (as opposed the thundering moron in B&R). His face is still relatively obscured, so it serves that purpose but the eyes being exposed really stop him being faceless and emotionless. I think a lot of the credit should be given to Hardy for conveying all this through his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Music from the MTV Awards footage

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mellor wrote: »
    At first I was pretty neutral regarding the styling of the mask. No better of worse than the expected mexican wrestler's mask. But it's really grown on me and the more I think about it's better for the batman's equal version of bane (as opposed the thundering moron in B&R). His face is still relatively obscured, so it serves that purpose but the eyes being exposed really stop him being faceless and emotionless. I think a lot of the credit should be given to Hardy for conveying all this through his eyes.

its his body language as well, I love the shot from the teaser where he's walking along in front of the waterfall (I assume its the batcave) and casually tosses the mask to one side, or when he's walking up to batman with his hands clutching his body armour vest, just looks menacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

2 hours 45 mins, Hell yeah that's a lot of Batman.
    Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Music from the MTV Awards footage

I hope that's one of Bane's themes, creepy and sinister. It reminds me of the tribal wars theme from Black Hawk Down and that was exactly the kind of music I wanted for Bane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

whos doin the score for this one

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Hans Zimmer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

...on his own. No James Newton Howard, which disappoints me as I thought they made a good team.

...on his own. No James Newton Howard, which disappoints me as I thought they made a good team.

For me personally, everything we've heard so far from the score sounds very promising, Zimmer for the first time is really changing it up in this franchise.

For me personally, everything we've heard so far from the score sounds very promising, Zimmer for the first time is really changing it up in this franchise.

was the prologue music a temp track or finished? that was very cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I hope the 'rise' chant is only for one scene in the film.. Sick of it already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

While I've enjoyed Zimmer's contribution to this franchise, a lot of the more thematic and heroic cues in the two previous films were Howard's work and helped to balance out the scores. Also, the tracks where the two worked together are really good and better than they would have been without Howard. "Agent of Chaos" is probably my favourite track in the TDK score and you can clearly hear Howard on it. I like Zimmer, but he can be a bit overbearing. I just wish they'd brought Howard back for continuity sake.
    krudler wrote: »
    was the prologue music a temp track or finished? that was very cool

Finished, I assume. Aside from the sound mix, the prologue would have been pretty much locked down.

While I've enjoyed Zimmer's contribution to this franchise, a lot of the more thematic and heroic cues in the two previous films were Howard's work and helped to balance out the scores. Also, the tracks where the two worked together are really good and better than they would have been without Howard. "Agent of Chaos" is probably my favourite track in the TDK score and you can clearly hear Howard on it. I like Zimmer, but he can be a bit overbearing. I just wish they'd brought Howard back for continuity sake.

agree, Zimmer does the bombastic action stuff well, and Howard does the quieter moments, I love this track

from 5.00 onwards is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Dark Knight Rises: new info, interviews, and photos from Empire
    In Fall of 2008, Christopher Nolan and co-writer David Goyer came up with the ending to The Dark Knight Rises. They didn’t know what the plot would be, or which villains would terrorize Gotham, but they knew it would be the final Batman movie in their trilogy, and they knew how they wanted it to end. Goyer explained that the ending in The Dark Knight Rises is exactly what they talked about 4 years ago — it’s completely unchanged. When Goyer saw that final scene from The Dark Knight Rises, he got a lump in his throat.
    More than a third of the film, 1 hour, was shot in IMAX.
    The Dark Knight Rises is Wally Pfister’s last movie as Director of Photography, he’ll be moving on to pursue a directing career.
    As I mentioned earlier this week, Nolan confirmed that The Joker will not be addressed at all in The Dark Knight Rises. He was also nervous about adding Catwoman, but his brother Jonah convinced him that she needed to be part of the trilogy.
    David Goyer said that at the premiere of The Dark Knight, Warner Bros. executives were already talking about a villain for The Dark Knight Rises — “it’s gonna be The Riddler, and we want it to be Leonardo DiCaprio…”.
    Christopher Nolan confirmed that Anne Hathaway’s character, Selina Kyle, is never referred to as “Catwoman” in the script.

Catwoman was his brothers idea! ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Keno 92 wrote: »

His brother wrote Memento and co-wrote The Prestige and The Dark Knight so I think it'll be okay.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Exactly, his brother co-wrote TDK, instead of Goyer who co-wrote BB, which is a far superior film IMO. Not surprise Chris Nolans idiot brother wrote Catwoman in. However, from what I've seen, I have to admit Hathaway hasn't done a terrible job. Still hate the bint though.

Keno 92 wrote: »

come back here on july 21st and see how this holds up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Andy!! wrote: »
    Exactly, his brother co-wrote TDK, instead of Goyer who co-wrote BB, which is a far superior film IMO. Not surprise Chris Nolans idiot brother wrote Catwoman in. However, from what I've seen, I have to admit Hathaway hasn't done a terrible job. Still hate the bint though.
    Idiot brother you say? The Prestige, Memento and TDK are some of the best films of the past 2 decades, yet you assert that he's an idiot. Written any groundbreaking scripts recently, Andy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

I had tickets booked for a midnight showing in my local cinema but just got word it was cancelled thanks to warner brothers :mad:

Anyone know anywhere else in Dublin doing midnight screenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Nah all European Midnights cancelled because they want it to debut in America first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nelson-muntz.gif

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Idiot brother you say? The Prestige, Memento and TDK are some of the best films of the past 2 decades, yet you assert that he's an idiot.

The Prestige and memento are decent enough films, calling them some of the best films in the past 20 years (not even 10??) is foolish in the extreme. And yeah there is a crapload of hype around TDK. But again, the story was frequently pretty bad. But there's so many fanboys out there that any argument that could be made for that would get shouted down. Reviewers who didn't like it upon release even received death threats. The Dark Knight is a good case of mass hysteria. Not to mention that he CO-WROTE on them, but didn't write them solely himself.

I have very high hopes for this next film though, cause Goyer is back on board. The man is a fuppin genius.
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Written any groundbreaking scripts recently, Andy?

You are absolutely right. Someone has no right to criticize a film or writer ever, if they have not at least been nominated for a BAFTA. I apologize. Also, that is a really fresh argument you put forward, I've never actually heard that one before! Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

The Prestige and memento are decent enough films, calling them some of the best films in the past 20 years (not even 10??) is foolish in the extreme. And yeah there is a crapload of hype around TDK. Not to mention that he CO-WROTE on them, but didn't write them solely himself.

Well, Memento was written more than ten years ago so id imagine his reason for choosing 20 years rather than 10 to be quite obvious. And yes those films are some of the best of the past couple of decades, at least when we are talking about mainstream movies. Jonathan Nolan is not a bad writer at all and TDK is a better film than BB.

Goyer has a far worse hit/miss ratio than Nolan by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The Prestige is a fcking cracking movie, end of story!

indough wrote: »
    TDK is a better film than BB.

It really isn't...
    indough wrote: »
    Goyer has a far worse hit/miss ratio than Nolan by the way

Yeah cause Goyer has worked on more than three things. Goyer's worked on some real stinkers, no denying that.
    The Prestige is a fcking cracking movie, end of story!

I quite liked it. Ultimately a bit forgettable though.

I have very high hopes for this next film though, cause Goyer is back on board. The man is a fuppin genius.

:confused:

Goyer was always part of the process.

He didn't work on the screenplay of TDK (which shows). He was very busy with the Superman reboot at the time. He is co-credited on Story with Christopher Nolan, but that's just because of his planned over-arching involvement in the trilogy. He is solely credited with Story in BB.

Goyer isn't credited for the screenplay on TDKR either. Just story credit with Nolan. So he wasn't any more involved with this than he was with TDK.

Yeah it could still all go very wrong. Thankfully the overarching story of the film (especially the ending) was actually written by Chris Nolan and Goyer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The Prestige and memento are decent enough films, calling them some of the best films in the past 20 years (not even 10??) is foolish in the extreme. And yeah there is a crapload of hype around TDK. But again, the story was frequently pretty bad. But there's so many fanboys out there that any argument that could be made for that would get shouted down. Reviewers who didn't like it upon release even received death threats. The Dark Knight is a good case of mass hysteria. Not to mention that he CO-WROTE on them, but didn't write them solely himself.

Memento has one of the best narratives that i've ever seen in terms of inventiveness. I can't think of any film that compares to it in terms of a narrative. Innovation is what film needs and the likes of Nolan brothers actually did some of their more innovative work early in their careers. The Prestige was also a rather brilliant film but personally I wasn't major fan. However this does not mean that it was in any way lacking in quality. Feel free to point out why Memento or The Prestige are simply 'decent' films...

You are absolutely right. Someone has no right to criticize a film or writer ever, if they have not at least been nominated for a BAFTA. I apologize. Also, that is a really fresh argument you put forward, I've never actually heard that one before! Kudos.
    I'll happily criticise a person who claims that Jonathan Nolan is an idiot. It's like claiming that Michael Bay is an idiot, his films aren't particularly amazing but it would be inane to call him an idiot. I have no issue with a person pointing out the faults in his scripts but name calling, really? You even did it with me by giving a jibe about me being a fanboy which i'm really not. My top ten films don't even include any of the Nolan's work. :pac:

Forgot to say, the best films of the past 20 years are going to inevitably be subjective.

Advertisement