Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The Prestige is a fcking cracking movie, end of story!
    Andy!! wrote: »

I quite liked it. Ultimately a bit forgettable though.

You must not have been watching closely. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Memento has one of the best narratives that i've ever seen in terms of inventiveness.

It's backwards. Sure, it's inventive, and a fun watch, and smart. But I wouldn't put anywhere near a list of top movies in the last 10/15 years.

I'm not calling anyone in particular a TDK fanboy. I'm just referring to the hundreds of thousands of people out there who had decided it was the new best movie ever before it was even released...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Why are we acting like Jonathan Nolan wrote Transformers? C'mon for christ's sake

Why are we acting like Jonathan Nolan wrote Transformers? C'mon for christ's sake

The only reason I'm asking you to elaborate and explain what you mean by this is because I'm going to enjoy watching you try and explain this non-sensical and baseless statement. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The only reason I'm asking you to elaborate and explain what you mean by this is because I'm going to enjoy watching you try and explain this non-sensical and baseless statement. :D

Really? What is there to explain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm not calling anyone in particular a TDK fanboy. I'm just referring to the hundreds of thousands of people out there who had decided it was the new best movie ever before it was even released...

How does people's reaction to a movie effect the quailty of it's writing?

Goyer has written some terrible scripts in his day, usually always with the same problems. J Nolan has been far more dependable as a writer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

It's backwards. Sure, it's inventive, and a fun watch, and smart. But I wouldn't put anywhere near a list of top movies in the last 10/15 years.

Didnt like memento myself, found it slow and unexciting tbh.
    Prestige on the other hand I thought was excellent, even better on the second watch through.

al28283 wrote: »

When everybody claims it's one of the best movies of all time when in fact it has some massive problems, and have decided it's an incredible movie even before seeing it.
    Goyer has written some terrible scripts in his day, usually always with the same problems. J Nolan has been far more dependable as a writer

I already commented on this. Nolan has done like 3 projects? And yeah, he's dependable to be pretty damn average at best. Goyer has written some stinkers too, most notably Ghostrider. Already spoke on this not one page back.

OK, so let's how TDK falls on it's arse. I'll work my way from end to beginning because the film gets worse as it goes along, but will probably flit around.

1. Batman takes the fall for several murders he did not commit. This is blatantly put in to make Batman a pariah for the follow-up film. Instead of subtly introducing this throughout the whole film, they stuff it into the last minute of the film. All that BS about 'Gotham losing faith' is complete nonsense. At no point in the film do we see any evidence suggesting that Harvey Dent is a source of inspiration for anybody.
    Really, Batman should always have been a pariah. He flattened several cop cars in Batman Begins, and is engaging in illegal activity by being a vigilante, and he's SHOWING UP AT CRIME SCENES IN TDK???

2. Two-Face has no split personality. He's just pissed that his girlfriend died. So there goes one of DC's best villains and his entire character and what makes him interesting. :rolleyes:

3. The final fight. In Batman Begins, a whole cities population was going to be wiped out. Not only that, but they would do it themselves, ripping, gouging, stabbing and shooting each other. It's interesting; not cookie-cutter like 'a nuke', which seems to be where TDKR is heading. What does TDK do? Two ships with bombs on them. One loaded with murderers and rapists, and the other with a bunch of people whining that they should blow the other guys up. Am I supposed to care for either group? Which one? The rapists or the whiners? Not to mention the fact that most people I've talked to don't even realize the Joker was lying and they actually had the trigger to their own bombs...

4. Lucius Fox. OH NO WE CAN SEE THE VAGUE SILHOUETTE OF 4 MILLION PEOPLE. BIG BROTHER MAN. I QUIT! Nonsense.

5. Rachel Dawes. Continuity man, continuity. Yes Katie Holmes is a scientologist and they are all fruitcakes, but she's hotter, a better actress (i.e. didn't play an assistant district attorney like she was playing a dumb cheerleader) and oh yeah, CONTINUITY! Write her out if she won't be recast!

6. The ginger. Yes... blackmailing Batman. That sounds like a great idea until you say it out loud. Actually, no it sounds even scarier in my head! What was the whole point of that side story? Hope there are no 'asides' like that in TDKR. Except if I need to go piss or something.

7. Way too much of it takes place during the day. It even opens during the day.

8. That incescant icky licking. Stop it Ledger. Stop. Oh and stop giving us regular old Joker. Give us something new. Look how refreshing Murphy's Scarecrow was. The whole point of this trilogy was to make it more realistic, and have the villains we know, but have them fit into a more realistic environment, be less fantastical.

9. The goddamn suit. The one that Lucius Fox designed to be more susceptible to knives (Joker) and gunfire (Two-Face). Wink-wink! I groaned during that dialogue.

10. Why was scarecrow even in it? Such a shame to see him as a petty drug-dealer.

11. The way they went about capturing Joker. Elaborate much? And was it absolutely essential to that plan to fake Gordon's death? His poor feckin' wife and kid! :pac:

12. OK so this is gonna be how we capture the Joker. We're gonna bait him with Harvey Dent. Oh, so that burning bus in the way of our route is probably the Joker's doing, right? So, maybe we shouldn't divert into an underground tunnel? Cause maybe that's what he wants? Nah, let's go for it anyways, I don't like that helicopter with all that weaponry that's defending us, even if we have to stop to slowly go around that flaming bus.

I'm sure there's more, I'll add as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

there's simply no telling some people

and you're just ignoring the poor plotpoints of Batman Begins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

When everybody claims it's one of the best movies of all time when in fact it has some massive problems, and have decided it's an incredible movie even before seeing it.

I already commented on this. Nolan has done like 3 projects? And yeah, he's dependable to be pretty damn average at best. Goyer has written some stinkers too, most notably Ghostrider. Already spoke on this not one page back.

OK, so let's how TDK falls on it's arse. I'll work my way from end to beginning because the film gets worse as it goes along, but will probably flit around.

1. Batman takes the fall for several murders he did not commit. This is blatantly put in to make Batman a pariah for the follow-up film. Instead of subtly introducing this throughout the whole film, they stuff it into the last minute of the film. All that BS about 'Gotham losing faith' is complete nonsense. At no point in the film do we see any evidence suggesting that Harvey Dent is a source of inspiration for anybody.
    Really, Batman should always have been a pariah. He flattened several cop cars in Batman Begins, and is engaging in illegal activity by being a vigilante, and he's SHOWING UP AT CRIME SCENES IN TDK???

2. Two-Face has no split personality. He's just pissed that his girlfriend died. So there goes one of DC's best villains and his entire character and what makes him interesting. :rolleyes:

3. The final fight. In Batman Begins, a whole cities population was going to be wiped out. Not only that, but they would do it themselves, ripping, gouging, stabbing and shooting each other. It's interesting; not cookie-cutter like 'a nuke', which seems to be where TDKR is heading. What does TDK do? Two ships with bombs on them. One loaded with murderers and rapists, and the other with a bunch of people whining that they should blow the other guys up. Am I supposed to care for either group? Which one? The rapists or the whiners? Not to mention the fact that most people I've talked to don't even realize the Joker was lying and they actually had the trigger to their own bombs...

4. Lucius Fox. OH NO WE CAN SEE THE VAGUE SILHOUETTE OF 4 MILLION PEOPLE. BIG BROTHER MAN. I QUIT! Nonsense.

5. Rachel Dawes. Continuity man, continuity. Yes Katie Holmes is a scientologist and they are all fruitcakes, but she's hotter, a better actress (i.e. didn't play an assistant district attorney like she was playing a dumb cheerleader) and oh yeah, CONTINUITY! Write her out if she won't be recast!

6. The ginger. Yes... blackmailing Batman. That sounds like a great idea until you say it out loud. Actually, no it sounds even scarier in my head! What was the whole point of that side story? Hope there are no 'asides' like that in TDKR. Except if I need to go piss or something.

8. That incescant icky licking. Stop it Ledger. Stop. Oh and stop giving us regular old Joker. Give us something new. Look how refreshing Murphy's Scarecrow was. The whole point of this trilogy was to make it more realistic, and have the villains we know, but have them fit into a more realistic environment, be less fantastical.

9. The goddamn suit. The one that Lucius Fox designed to be more susceptible to knives (Joker) and gunfire (Two-Face). Wink-wink! I groaned during that dialogue.

10. Why was scarecrow even in it? Such a shame to see him as a petty drug-dealer.

11. The way they went about capturing Joker. Elaborate much? And was it absolutely essential to that plan to fake Gordon's death? His poor feckin' wife and kid! :pac:

12. OK so this is gonna be how we capture the Joker. We're gonna bait him with Harvey Dent. Oh, so that burning bus in the way of our route is probably the Joker's doing, right? So, maybe we shouldn't divert into an underground tunnel? Cause maybe that's what he wants? Nah, let's go for it anyways, I don't like that helicopter with all that weaponry that's defending us, even if we have to stop to slowly go around that flaming bus.

Jasus your a bitter man. Did the film break your heart or something ? . It's a great movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

When everybody claims it's one of the best movies of all time when in fact it has some massive problems,

In fairness Andy, if it bothered you that much you would be best giving TDKR a miss cause its only going to be more of the same. If I was in your situation and felt so strongly I wouldn't even be wasting my time checking and responding to this thread.

Best advise is to take a look at the character when there's a reboot including a new director and production team. It might be more your thing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

lol at number 6 :D
    Its a good post Andy to be fair to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

When Joker is captured, Harvey Dent gets all the plaudits as it was seen as his master plan. The whole "I believe in Harvey Dent" talk also suggests that he won over the public with a campaign based on hope and bringing justice back to Gotham.

As for showing up at crime scenes, it's clear from Ramirez's reactions is that he is not wanted there, and it is Gordon alone letting him skirt along the lines.
    Really? I thought that the scene with him holding Joker's henchman hostage was brilliant as it established Dent was suffering from deep emotional issues even before Rachel died and he gets burnt.

Plus, the fact that he already has the nickname "Harvey Two-Face" suggests that this is something others have observed in him too.
    I'd agree that was slightly cheeseball, but when you think about it, who wouldn't be whiney in that situation? They are assuming that because the other boat is filled with scumbags and murderers, that they'll have no qualms about pulling the trigger. But that's the whole point I think as the boat full of inmates prove that even though they have committed heinous acts, they are still human, and ultimately do the right thing.

Joker was trying to cause each group to destroy themselves through panic and chaos: the inmates by succumbing to their "true nature," and the civilians by becoming executioners. He wanted to prove that when it comes right down to it, everyone is the same, and capable of horrific acts to save their own skin.

But they proved him wrong.
    They're not vague silhouettes in fairness, you could clearly see what people were doing and where they were. In fact that's the whole point of why Bruce needed Lucius to navigate it for him as without him or the technology, he wouldn't have been able to locate Joker, or figure out how to take down Joker's henchmen.

As Lucius himself said, you can't let a piece of technology like that fall into the wrong hands.
    Holmes was offered the chance to come back but she declined.

Why should they have to write out a character that ended up being a key part of the story just because Holmes refused to come back?
    The guy hated Bruce and envied his position, plus it illustrated how both Bruce and Lucius may have been a little bit too careless when designing their plans and that it isn't just the freaks and gangsters that are out for all they can get, regardless of the means they use.

I'd say we all know pricks like that, albeit without the trying to blackmail your boss for £10m a year part. ;)
    I don't know about that, but I can say that the atmosphere (visually speaking) in BB is superior to that in TDK.
    Uh....I thought the whole point of the praise Ledger got is that it wasn't your regular old Joker, and that it was the biggest (yet most compelling) departure for the character in any media to date.
    "Anything but a straight shot" is what I believe Lucius said. Plus, it was established in that convo between Bruce and Lucius that there would be such tradeoffs in order for Bruce to be able to be more agile and flexible in the suit.
    It was a nice touch for me, as it was similar to the comics in the sense that these freaks never truly go away.

What I always hated about comic book movies was the one way conveyer belt of villains. Hey, let's use these 2 guys! But let's kill them off, make them a vegtable or throw them in jail for life just so we can never use them again.
    I thought that was a fantastic climax to that scene, I almost jumped out of my seat in celebration when Gordon pulled off the helmet and uttered "we've got you you son of a bitch!"

I do think there will be ramifications for Gordon in TDKR over that decision he made, and the knock on consequence it had of his family being held hostage by Harvey. Wouldn't be surprised if his wife has left him.
    Panic in producing dumb decision in movie shocker. I mean seriously, you could find a similar criticism in every movie.

FlashD wrote: »
    In fairness Andy, if it bothered you that much you would be best giving TDKR a miss cause its only going to be more of the same. If I was in your situation and felt so strongly I wouldn't even be wasting my time checking and responding to this thread.

Why? I'm a Batman fan, and I'm looking forward to this next one. Something was worrying me from the second TDK trailer, but I'm not getting that feeling from TDKR, so I'm hopeful. I loved BB, and TDK was completely different, so how do you figure TDKR will be exactly the same as the last one?

ricero wrote: »
    Jasus your a bitter man. Did the film break your heart or something ? . It's a great movie

Yes, it did. I was expecting it to be as incredible as BB. But it turned out to be cack. For the reasons I've outlined.
    and you're just ignoring the poor plotpoints of Batman Begins?

I can think of one. But to be honest someone had to say that to me years later, never picked up on it meself. Basically if the microwave device could have vaporized water sources 70 feet down, anybody near it would have been at the very least very ill, or killed, yet Batman and Raz managed a three minute fight around it :pac: Great scene though.
    indough wrote: »
    there's simply no telling some people

That is evident.

Oh and Bob, sorry, but your post smacks of being a TDK fanboy. So I'll address some of the things, but won't waste my time with all. TDK fanboys (and fanboys of other stuff) often defend it with ideas that simply are not there in the story line. Harvey got his nickname cause he started off in Internal Affairs, prosecuting cops. Scaring some psycho who has his girlfriends name on his badge does not indicate he has deep rooted problems. Which isn't even the same thing as a split personality. And no, Ledger did a very straight up Joker. He was as good as Nicholsons, no more. And the reason you should write out a character who refuses to come back is CONTINUITY! Especially if it's only a trilogy. You don't even have to kill her off! She made her feelings plain in the last one. She's fecked off. In a T.V. show that has a few years left, sure, I can understand breaking continuity if someone dies or whatever. Yes, you can see the VAGUE SILHOUETTE of people doing things, but you cannot make out identities. It's a very weird thing to stop trusting wayne over. He knows him to some extent by now. Had it been Waynes first request off the bat in BB, yeah, I could understand Fox's position then. Not to mention the whole VR glasses thing in the building was so retarded and belongs in Batman Forever.

And 'anything but a straight shot' is a line from BB, unless I'm mistaken. Could be wrong on that. I know the excuses they made for the weaker suit in TDK. But it glaringly obvious and just plain bad writing. Maybe they shouldn't have made the first suit in BB so strong, I dunno. Not to mention the suit in TDK is horrible looking. Far too noisy, with mesh all over it that makes it look like a school bag. The first one is so simple and iconic. Loved that panther neck, made him look very powerful. Which he actually was in the first movie. I wish Bale would stop doing the weight loss/gain thing for movies. I got more muscle than he did in TDK. He was so skinny, having come straight off Rescue Dawn. How am I to believe this guy can take down 15 SWAT? Who BTW, should have been way smarter than to make a dumb decision like go into a tunnel undefended.

It wasn't even SWAT's decision in fact, it was Gordon. DEFINITELY thought that guy was smarter.

lol at number 6 :D
    Its a good post Andy to be fair to you

It's not really. He raises some points about TDK, many of which are just elements from the comic, some which have nothing to do with the script, some which are wrong, and some of which are just deperate attempts to dislike something.

If he were to honestly look at Batman Begins, or any Goyer written movie as thouroughly as that he would find many more flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

It's not really. He raises some points about TDK, many of which are just elements from the comic, some which have nothing to do with the script, some which are wrong, and some of which are just deperate attempts to dislike something.

Care to elaborate? Because I thought Nolans series was supposed to be much more realistic than the comics (which is why I love BB and don't particularly care for TDK), everything I've noted does has to do with the awful screenplay, none of which are wrong, and oh; I would have loved to have been happy with the finished film. Why wouldn't I be?
    he were to honestly look at Batman Begins, or any Goyer written movie as thouroughly as that he would find many more flaws.

Probably the fourth time I've said this but yes, Goyer has worked on some atrocious films. I look at BB completely honestly, if there are flaws there, I ain't seen many of them. If you can think of any, please do share. It's ironic that you claim I'm not looking at BB honestly and yet that is exactly what most here do with TDK.

13. Not sure how I forgot this one. The vigilantes dressed as Batman. How painfully painfully stupid a subplot was that. Fat guys running around in rubber Batman masks; not only was it pathetic, it also had feck all bearing on the story. Joker kills one. So what. The fanboys will undoubtedly say 'Oh it represents...' but no. Stupid stupid idea.

How about the lack of a clear threat throughout BB. It looked like it was going to be The Scarecrow, who was a pretty atrocious character in that movie, but the Ra's and the league of shadows were shoehorned back in at the start of the 3rd act, leaving Crane to be defeated by Dawson' girlfriend.

And then you have the fear toxin. Everyone we see poisoned by it is pretty much incapacitated until the very end were it's victims, supposedly terrified, form into mobs and attack Batman. None of that makes sense.

And of course, Batman using Falconi to make a batsignal out of. Is that not more pathetic than some of the things you mentioned?

How about the lack of a clear threat throughout BB. It looked like it was going to be The Scarecrow, who was a pretty atrocious character in that movie, but the Ra's and the league of shadows were shoehorned back in at the start of the 3rd act, leaving Crane to be defeated by Dawson' girlfriend.

And then you have the fear toxin. Everyone we see poisoned by it is pretty much incapacitated until the very end were it's victims, supposedly terrified, form into mobs and attack Batman. None of that makes sense.

And of course, Batman using Falconi to make a batsignal out of. Is that not more pathetic than some of the things you mentioned?

I don't think you've seen BB in a loooooong time. :pac:

Batman makes no bat-signal. He ties Falconi to the light to let the cops know where he is. Gordon then gets the idea. I thought it was a neat idea for the genesis of the batlight. Also, I have a feeling this might have actually happened in either Batman Year One or another graphic novel. I could be wrong. How would you prefer it had come about?

No mob forms on Batman. They all go for him at the same time, cause they see this crazy ass screaming creature with light pouring out of his mouth and eyes. They all go for him, to rip him apart, because he looks like a monster. Like zombies. Zombies aren't mobs. There just happen to be a lot of them in one place!

Ra's and Scarecrow are in it together. Not sure where you're coming from calling the Scarecrow atrocious, Cillian Murphy and Chris Nolan did an amazing job fitting a very fantastical character into a very realistic world (the whole point of Nolans trilogy, at least that's what he claimed before TDK) Yeah the League of Shadows take a back seat and Scarecrow does his thing for most of the second act, but that's because there's the 'twist' that the LOS were behind the whole thing the whole time. Plus there's Falconi, who was also directly involved in this plot, if not completely in the loop. Batman seemed pretty busy to me...

One thing that did just occur to me though is that we never actually see Scarecrow or Raz on screen at the same time, nor do they ever talk to each other directly. That's a little odd.

• Advertisement

so essentially the crux of your argument is that the dark knight has lots wrong with it because you don't like it but batman begins has nothing wrong with it because you do like it.

so essentially the crux of your argument is that the dark knight has lots wrong with it because you don't like it but batman begins has nothing wrong with it because you do like it.

Exactly, ignore the flaws in one and exaggerate the flaws in the other.

So basically, your arguments are 'witty' one liners that don't even represent the truth, whereas my arguments are well thought out, elaborated on, and clear. Ya good luck.

Actually, speaking of the batlight scene made me remember that 'I'm Batman' moment. Haha so so bad. I think I actually facepalmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4qgTk8Vfyc

(Though that video makes it seem worse cause it doesn't show Falconi saying 'What are you')

Nice coat.
    Exactly, ignore the flaws in one and exaggerate the flaws in the other.

The 'flaws' you pointed out are completely made up!! Go watch the film again. No mob forms. Zombies don't form mobs. They are essentially zombies, for the sake of this argument. And Batman does not intentionally make a bat signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

It really isn't...

Yeah cause Goyer has worked on more than three things. Goyer's worked on some real stinkers, no denying that.

I quite liked it. Ultimately a bit forgettable though

:eek: WTF did you really just say the prestige was forgettable????

COME ON!!!! like did you watch it? really? i understand peoples opinions are different but good bad the prestige is NOT FORGETTABLE

So basically, your arguments are 'witty' one liners whereas my arguments are well thought out, elaborated on, and clear. Ya good luck.

while we are on the subject of one liners, i have another one for you: self praise is no praise.

i would spend some time addressing your nonsense criticisms of the film (which are pretty much all just things that weren't to your personal 'taste' rather than actual flaws in the films narrative) if i didn't realise you to be just another one of those go-against-the-grain'ers that plague these types of discussions.

anyway, we have your opinion now, batman begins is a flawless film because you like it whereas the dark knight is a comedy of errors because you don't like it and mr blade trinity aka 'fuppin genius' is a far superior writer to jonathan nolan even though the latter has never written a poor film whereas the former has written far more poor films than his average at best ones. order has been restored to the universe.

(which are pretty much all just things that weren't to your personal 'taste' rather than actual flaws in the films narrative)

The exact opposite to the reality. Well done.
    caspa307 wrote: »
    :eek: WTF did you really just say the prestige was forgettable????

COME ON!!!! like did you watch it? really? i understand peoples opinions are different but good bad the prestige is NOT FORGETTABLE

I am actually planning to give it a second go tonight. Haven't seen it in a few years. Will report back. :)

I am actually planning to give it a second go tonight. Haven't seen it in a few years. Will report back. :)

fantastic movie, suffers a bit from the same Nolan disjointed time thing a bit but still very good. Hugh Jackman's best by far but that's not saying much I suppose

The exact opposite to the reality. Well done.

wow, the old 'the opposite of what you say is true' defence, excellent work old chap...
    fantastic movie, suffers a bit from the same Nolan disjointed time thing a bit but still very good. Hugh Jackman's best by far but that's not saying much I suppose

i actually liked the non-linear nature of it but i suppose that's down to personal tastes. i like the way the three act structure of the story seamlessly mirrors the three elements of the illusion and the fact that the relationship between the two magicians is paralleled somewhat by that between tesla and edison. you simply wouldn't find that kind of quality in a goyer script but i don't think he even tries to be any bit insightful to begin with

i actually liked the non-linear nature of it but i suppose that's down to personal tastes. i like the way the three act structure of the story seamlessly mirrors the three elements of the illusion and the fact that the relationship between the two magicians is paralleled somewhat by that between tesla and edison. you simply wouldn't find that kind of quality in a goyer script but i don't think he even tries to be any bit insightful to begin with

I agree in the case of the prestige, but it's a thing in many Nolan movies, it happened in BB aswell and at first viewing it was very annoying as you didn't really know what was a flashback to years ago and what was present day.

On the subject of Batman Begins, did Waynes's mother have any lines at all in the movie? seems strange for a movie on which so much weighs on the death of Batman's parents to dismiss one of them almost completely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the time jumping aspect of it is what makes it compelling to watch, you're watching a flashback within a flashback within a flashback at one point, the way the diary is incorporated into the narrative is really well done. I've watched it a few times now and still notice little things in it, great movie.

Advertisement