Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

krudler wrote: »
    the time jumping aspect of it is what makes it compelling to watch, you're watching a flashback within a flashback within a flashback at one point, the way the diary is incorporated into the narrative is really well done. I've watched it a few times now and still notice little things in it, great movie.

like i said, i agree when it comes to the prestige, it makes sense and leads to a big payoff, more than one actually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So.... who's up (literally) for a 5am showing of this? Apparently that's the earliest it can be shown so as not to conflict with the midnight showings in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Andy!! wrote: »
    5. Rachel Dawes. Continuity man, continuity. Yes Katie Holmes is a scientologist and they are all fruitcakes, but she's hotter, a better actress (i.e. didn't play an assistant district attorney like she was playing a dumb cheerleader) and oh yeah, CONTINUITY! Write her out if she won't be recast!

An interesting post until i read that. Maggie Gallagher is about 10000times better than katie holmes, in both looks and talent department. Fck continuity, batman is about some playboy keep changing hot partner.

just a random reply:D. keep going people.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    An interesting post until i read that. Maggie Gallagher is about 10000times better than katie holmes, in both looks and talent department. Fck continuity, batman is about some playboy keep changing hot partner.

just a random reply:D. keep going people.

Ah Gyllenhall ain't much to look at, Holmes would be much hotter than her if she didnt have have that stroke victim way of talking out of one side of her face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

katie-holmes-2011.jpg

or

40785_pro.jpg

Honestly can't see how anyone would think Maggie Gyllenhaal is better looking than Katie Holmes tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Who is the black fella that pushes the man down the hole at 1m 16sec in the third trailer? He is also standing behind Bane around 6 seconds later. You can see the top of his head for a second.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Who is the black fella that pushes the man down the hole at 1m 16sec in the third trailer? He is also standing behind Bane around 6 seconds later. You can see the top of his head for a second.

well the guy at 1m 16secs pushing the man down the hole is clearly Bane and he is clearly white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Oh and Bob, sorry, but your post smacks of being a TDK fanboy. So I'll address some of the things, but won't waste my time with all. TDK fanboys (and fanboys of other stuff) often defend it with ideas that simply are not there in the story line.

I actually preferred BB to TDK, so your lame accusation is bullshit I'm afraid. Your reasons for hating TDK are just easily deconstructed, that's why I'm disputing them.

13. Not sure how I forgot this one. The vigilantes dressed as Batman. How painfully painfully stupid a subplot was that. Fat guys running around in rubber Batman masks; not only was it pathetic, it also had feck all bearing on the story. Joker kills one. So what. The fanboys will undoubtedly say 'Oh it represents...' but no. Stupid stupid idea.

The point was that Bruce's actions were not producing the results he hoped. He inspired Gotham alright, just not in the way he wanted.

Next.

The point was that Bruce's actions were not producing the results he hoped. He inspired Gotham alright, just not in the way he wanted.

Next.

Much like in the comics, which is fine according to some of Andys! previous posts on the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Read the last few pages of this thread and genuinely cannot believe that extensive "criticism" post.

I'm no Batman fan-boy, I've never read a comic but I have seen all the movies.

I loved BB, but I thought TDK was on a different level. It was so much more than a superhero movie. It was one of the most intelligent crime-thrillers of the past 20 years. Should have gotten a Best Picture nomination.

Can't wait for this now, looks incredible. I am a big fan of Nolan's casting choices and this is no exception. I genuinely don't know what will happen in this - even to the point where I wouldn't be shocked if Batman died. Which is so refreshing considering the beyond formulaic superhero script model these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Mwnger3

Sorry, but I couldn't let this go.
    OK, so let's how TDK falls on it's arse. I'll work my way from end to beginning because the film gets worse as it goes along, but will probably flit around.

1. Batman takes the fall for several murders he did not commit. This is blatantly put in to make Batman a pariah for the follow-up film. Instead of subtly introducing this throughout the whole film, they stuff it into the last minute of the film.

But they did subtley introduce this throughout the film. After the heist we hear Engels on TV giving out about the toleration of a vigilante on Gotham's streets. Gordon's wife later screams at Batman about how he's “brought this madness on us” after Gordon's 'death'. Then, at Harvey Dent's press conference, members of the public are shouting about how he “should turn himself in.” Were you not paying attention?
    All that BS about 'Gotham losing faith' is complete nonsense. At no point in the film do we see any evidence suggesting that Harvey Dent is a source of inspiration for anybody.

No, what you're saying is complete nonsense. Have you forgotten the “I Believe In Harvey Dent” campaign? And that even began in the viral marketing - before the movie was even released! All the way through we keep hearing Dent being referred to as Gotham's 'White Knight' – which is a fairly obvious contrast with the title of the movie itself. (Nolan even said that 'The Dark Knight' could be a reference to Dent as much as Batman) A major set piece in the movie takes place at a fund raiser thrown by Wayne for Harvey Dent, where Wayne describes him as “the future of our city”. It's pretty clear that all the good guys are pinning their hopes on Dent from early on. Rather than no evidence of him being a source of inspiration, you could argue this part of the film is rammed down our throats!
    Really, Batman should always have been a pariah. He flattened several cop cars in Batman Begins, and is engaging in illegal activity by being a vigilante, and he's SHOWING UP AT CRIME SCENES IN TDK???

It's pretty clear that it's Gordon's doing alone. Not even his Major Crime officers are happy with Batman being there but they bow to Gordon's authority. Seriously though, how can you complain about this? Have you ever even seen or read another Batman comic/movie/TV show in your life? Batman and Gordon conversing at a crime scene is a basic trope of the mythology. You might as well complain about the fact that he dresses up as a bat and jumps off buildings. It kinda misses the point don't you think?
    2. Two-Face has no split personality. He's just pissed that his girlfriend died. So there goes one of DC's best villains and his entire character and what makes him interesting. rolleyes.gif

Em...he's a highly respected public servant and upholder of law and order one minute, then he's punching mobsters in court and playing Russian roulette with another guy as soon as he's put under a bit of pressure the next. Sounds like the actions of a schizo to me...
    3. The final fight. In Batman Begins, a whole cities population was going to be wiped out. Not only that, but they would do it themselves, ripping, gouging, stabbing and shooting each other. It's interesting; not cookie-cutter like 'a nuke', which seems to be where TDKR is heading

Maybe you shouldn't criticise a movie you haven't seen yet hmm?
    What does TDK do? Two ships with bombs on them. One loaded with murderers and rapists, and the other with a bunch of people whining that they should blow the other guys up. Am I supposed to care for either group? Which one? The rapists or the whiners?

Maybe you didn't care but that's your prerogative. The intention was for the audience to sympathise with the ordinary citizens, but Nolan pulls the rug out from under us (as is his wont) by showing them bottling it and having one of the criminals play the hero. Cos the whole theme of the film is to make us think about what it actually means to be a hero. What defines a hero? His/her actions? His words? How he is perceived by others? What's more important, the truth or the the myth? Pretty deep for a superhero movie. But clearly all this went over your head.
    Not to mention the fact that most people I've talked to don't even realize the Joker was lying and they actually had the trigger to their own bombs...

4. Lucius Fox. OH NO WE CAN SEE THE VAGUE SILHOUETTE OF 4 MILLION PEOPLE. BIG BROTHER MAN. I QUIT! Nonsense.

Can't really comment on this cos you don't provide much analysis.
    5. Rachel Dawes. Continuity man, continuity. Yes Katie Holmes is a scientologist and they are all fruitcakes, but she's hotter,

Seriously, is this your argument?
    a better actress (i.e. didn't play an assistant district attorney like she was playing a dumb cheerleader) and oh yeah, CONTINUITY! Write her out if she won't be recast!

It would be breaking continuity if she didn't appear. The script had already been written before Holmes dropped out. Rachel was too important a character to write out at the last minute.
    The ginger. Yes... blackmailing Batman. That sounds like a great idea until you say it out loud. Actually, no it sounds even scarier in my head! What was the whole point of that side story?

Cos if you were a billionaire vigilante in charge of your own multi-national corporation, someone's bound to discover your secret and take advantge of it. Part of Nolan's so-called 'realism' I would say. Later this sub-plot is integrated into the main plot when the Joker uses Reece to cause more chaos in Gotham. More skillful storytelling from the Nolan brothers IMO...
    Hope there are no 'asides' like that in TDKR. Except if I need to go piss or something.

Way too much of it takes place during the day. It even opens during the day.

The Joker goes through with his heist during the day cos he knows Batman only comes out at night. Also he needs the school bus on a school day to evade capture. Makes perfect sense.

For me, it's one of the clichés of the Batman mythos that everything has to occur during the night. I thought it was a bold decision of Nolan to have much of the action occur in the daytime. And you'll notice that Wayne deliberately doesn't go out as Batman during the day. During Loeb's funeral and the destruction of the hospital he goes out on a motorbike and sports car in his civvies.
    That incescant icky licking. Stop it Ledger. Stop.

Well, if you think about it, if you were someone who suffered a Glasgow smile (self-inflicted or not) and were left with severe scars on either side of your mouth, it's quite likely that you would develop a habit of licking the scar tissue incessantly, be it from a build up of saliva or scabbing or whatever. I think it was a brilliant acting choice by Ledger to do this, it shows how much thought he put into his performance.
    Oh and stop giving us regular old Joker. Give us something new.

Okay, I'll grant you your opinion that he didn't give us something new. But the consensus from the movie going public, not to mention an Oscar and countless other awards, was that it was one of the best and most original acting performances to come out of Hollywood in years. As a fan of the comics I was delighted to see a Joker performance that highlighted the psychopathic creepiness of the character rather than the old comical harlequin aspect that we've seen on screen loads of times before.
    Look how refreshing Murphy's Scarecrow was. The whole point of this trilogy was to make it more realistic, and have the villains we know, but have them fit into a more realistic environment, be less fantastical.

Actually,this is exactly what the Nolan brothers did. By getting rid of the gimmicky aspects of the Joker (smile toxin, acid squirting flower etc) they brought him back to basics. The Joker says it himself, he likes “gunpowder, dynamite, gasoline” and, of course, knives.
    The goddamn suit. The one that Lucius Fox designed to be more susceptible to knives (Joker) and gunfire (Two-Face). Wink-wink! I groaned during that dialogue.

Look up 'exposition' in the dictionary. All movies have it.
    Why was scarecrow even in it? Such a shame to see him as a petty drug-dealer.

And while your at it, look up 'foreshadowing' as well. The Scarecrow's scene was to show us how the 'freak' criminals that have followed in Batman's wake are now becoming part of the fabric of Gotham's underworld. In the Scarecrow's case he becomes a drug dealer. This foreshadows how the Joker later allies himself with the mob before finally taking them over for his ends. All due to Batman's influence on the city. Unintended consequences – another major theme of the movie.
    The way they went about capturing Joker. Elaborate much? And was it absolutely essential to that plan to fake Gordon's death? His poor feckin' wife and kid! pacman.gif

Eh yes? If he hadn't have faked his death, the Joker would have hit him where he was vunerable i.e. his family (like how Two-Face does later). Gordon explains all this to the Mayor later in the cell scene. Seriously, were you even listening?
    OK so this is gonna be how we capture the Joker. We're gonna bait him with Harvey Dent. Oh, so that burning bus in the way of our route is probably the Joker's doing, right? So, maybe we shouldn't divert into an underground tunnel? Cause maybe that's what he wants? Nah, let's go for it anyways, I don't like that helicopter with all that weaponry that's defending us, even if we have to stop to slowly go around that flaming bus.

It a burning fire engine actually. And yes, maybe the SWAT team were absolutely bricking themselves that the Joker was gonna strike at any time from anywhere and so were afraid to stop and turn back, so made a panic decision and diverted down the tunnel? Also, at this point they weren't to know that the Joker had a legion of nutball volunteers who were willing to help him run police vehicles off the streets.

Yeah, maybe none of that shouldn't have happened. Maybe we shouldn't have had a kick-ass car chase at all. We don't want that in an action film.
    I'm sure there's more, I'll add as I remember.

I don't think The Dark Knight is a flawless film by any means. I know plenty of people who have issues with it, and I respect their criticism as valid. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. But really I don't think your arguments hold up at all, and as someone mentioned above it seem like you're just looking for things to criticise the film about to get up everyone's collective nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

any cinemas start to take bookings yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

any cinemas start to take bookings yet?

It is reported on the TDKR website that advance tickets will be on sale later today.

I'm not sure if that will happen here in Ireland or not. Ask your local cinema just to clarify that news.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Care to elaborate? Because I thought Nolans series was supposed to be much more realistic than the comics (which is why I love BB and don't particularly care for TDK), everything I've noted does has to do with the awful screenplay, none of which are wrong, and oh; I would have loved to have been happy with the finished film. Why wouldn't I be?

Some people just wanna watch the world burn :(

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

al28283 wrote: »
    Ah Gyllenhall ain't much to look at, Holmes would be much hotter than her if she didnt have have that stroke victim way of talking out of one side of her face

Ah man, that crooked smile of her has got my heart fluttering for years! :pac: Super sexy. And so so much hotter than maggie, and a far superior actress. For one she actually acted an assistant DA as someone intelligent, not a bimbo. (Oh, Harvey, you just almost got shot, that's SO HOT DO ME RIGHT NOW) Ok, I'm paraphrasing, but I was literally like WTF.

Got most of the way through the Prestige tonight. It's good, very good. Bale is great in it. Jackman ain't too bad in it either, but I think all the dross he's been in has coloured my view of him. It's fun watching a second time, and wondering how the feck I didn't guess the twist when it is so blatantly there. I vaguely remember being really suspicious of Alfreds assistant, but I definitely didn't guess the twin thing. Scarlett doesn't do it for me in this movie somehow, probably her common accent :pac: she's damn fine in the Avengers though. Not sure I like the Tesla angle to the story. I love Bowie and Serkis, and find Tesla fascinating, but it almost feels like a separate movie. Gonna finish it tomorrow.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Mwnger3 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I couldn't let this go.

But they did subtley introduce this throughout the film. After the heist we hear Engels on TV giving out about the toleration of a vigilante on Gotham's streets. Gordon's wife later screams at Batman about how he's “brought this madness on us” after Gordon's 'death'. Then, at Harvey Dent's press conference, members of the public are shouting about how he “should turn himself in.” Were you not paying attention?

Batman being a pariah because of obvious reasons and his actions actually attracting 'super villains' to Gotham are two different themes ENTIRELY in the Batman mythos.
    No, what you're saying is complete nonsense. Have you forgotten the “I Believe In Harvey Dent” campaign? And that even began in the viral marketing - before the movie was even released! All the way through we keep hearing Dent being referred to as Gotham's 'White Knight' – which is a fairly obvious contrast with the title of the movie itself. (Nolan even said that 'The Dark Knight' could be a reference to Dent as much as Batman) A major set piece in the movie takes place at a fund raiser thrown by Wayne for Harvey Dent, where Wayne describes him as “the future of our city”. It's pretty clear that all the good guys are pinning their hopes on Dent from early on. Rather than no evidence of him being a source of inspiration, you could argue this part of the film is rammed down our throats!

Uh, you do realize that that is a slogan thought up by his political strategists etc. and in no way reflects the general attitude of Gothams people, which is never shown, as I've said. No kids wearing Dent masks, no kissing babies, no high-fives from soccer moms. They could all think he's a massive knob for all we know. Do you not get the idea behind political campaigns? The people didn't write that slogan. A strategist did. And what exactly do you think someone would say at a fundraiser for him? Bruce wants him busy and replacing Batman so he can get Rachel back, no other reason. Seriously, so easy to pick these points apart...

It's pretty clear that it's Gordon's doing alone. Not even his Major Crime officers are happy with Batman being there but they bow to Gordon's authority.

Yeah, his cops spent pretty much the entire film NOT bowing to him authority. Kidnapping a DA, an assistant DA, and blowing up a judge... Batman shows up at crime scenes that don't have other cops present in the comics. Only if Gordon is there. Anyone else would bloody arrest him (or attempt to, as makes sense).

Em...he's a highly respected public servant and upholder of law and order one minute, then he's punching mobsters in court and playing Russian roulette with another guy as soon as he's put under a bit of pressure the next. Sounds like the actions of a schizo to me...

You're right. If someone tried to shoot me in the chest, I wouldn't punch them out, I'd give them a big hug instead. And of course he was trying to scare the ****e out of that Arkham inmate, he was working for the Joker and had his girlfriends name on his name tag... time was an important factor for all he knew. The Joker could have already had her for all he knew.

Maybe you shouldn't criticise a movie you haven't seen yet hmm?

All of the viral marketing indicate that the doctor bane kidnaps at the start of the movie is a nuclear physicist, and also that that large round weapon he's been spotted with is a nuke. But hey, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and have high hopes for the film in general.

Can't really comment on this cos you don't provide much analysis.

It's incredibly simple. Lucius Fox has a rather large over-reaction. It's not even a sub-plot that goes anywhere. Lucius and Batman are best buds again two scenes later.

Seriously, is this your argument?

Great job cutting off my sentence midway to skew things. I was simply pointing out every one of the factors. Yeah, I'd rather watch Holmes for two hours than Gyllenhal for two minutes.

It would be breaking continuity if she didn't appear. The script had already been written before Holmes dropped out. Rachel was too important a character to write out at the last minute.

No, it wouldn't. And tough **** if you have to go and rewrite some of the script. That's why movie studios have actors and actresses SIGN CONTRACTS. If you know you're making three, which Nolan always has, MAKE EM SIGN FOR THREE. They made Bale sign for three, why not Holmes? They failed to do that, tough. Instead of that stupid 'I lost my girlfriend so now I'm crazy' angle, maybe then we could have got the original, far superior origin story where he actually has a split personality due to the whole brother dying in a fire, alcoholic father beating the crap out of him daily and mother killing herself over the whole thing story. It even ties in perfectly with how his face gets damaged. Fire.

Cos if you were a billionaire vigilante in charge of your own multi-national corporation, someone's bound to discover your secret and take advantge of it. Part of Nolan's so-called 'realism' I would say. More skillful storytelling from the Nolan brothers IMO...

You think it's realistic that blueprints for the Batmobile were somehow placed in accounts records? Crap, hopefully they haven't been using batarangs as paperweights in the HR department... :pac:
    The Joker goes through with his heist during the day cos he knows Batman only comes out at night. Also he needs the school bus on a school day to evade capture. Makes perfect sense.

That makes sense, I'll give you that. I just prefer night shots, more dramatic and faithful to the visual language of the comics.
    For me, it's one of the clichés of the Batman mythos that everything has to occur during the night. I thought it was a bold decision of Nolan to have much of the action occur in the daytime.

Yes, he's a very brave soul alright...
    notice that Wayne deliberately doesn't go out as Batman during the day. During Loeb's funeral and the destruction of the hospital he goes out on a motorbike and sports car in his civvies.

Yeah... why? Can't see any reason why he wouldn't go out during the day in the suit. He does it in TDKR. He's far more vunerable without the suit also. If someone had stumbled upon him in a room full of half naked tied up cops, that would take some explaining :pac: If he was in the suit, that would go some way to explaining.
    Okay, I'll grant you your opinion that he didn't give us something new. But the consensus from the movie going public, not to mention an Oscar and countless other awards, was that it was one of the best and most original acting performances to come out of Hollywood in years. As a fan of the comics I was delighted to see a Joker performance that highlighted the psychopathic creepiness of the character rather than the old comical harlequin aspect that we've seen on screen loads of times before.

Thanks for granting me that, I really appreciate that kindness. Everything you mentioned happened because of HYSTERIA. People decided this was the 'bestest film ever' long before it had even been released, and when Ledger died it was pretty much like throwing petrol on the fire. Did you honestly think the Academy were not going to give him an oscar? They hadn't had the chance to give a post-humous Oscar in years. Reviewers who criticized TDK got DEATH THREATS by email. Imagine if he wasn't given that Oscar. And you should really read the comics more. He is described as being super-sane, so his personality is different every time he appears, but he is very occasionally exactly how Ledger portrayed him. Nothing new and fresh like Murphy's Scarecrow.

Look up 'exposition' in the dictionary. All movies have it.

It's funny getting the TDK fanboys riled up.

And while your at it, look up 'foreshadowing' as well. The Scarecrow's scene was to show us how the 'freak' criminals that have followed in Batman's wake are now becoming part of the fabric of Gotham's underworld.the Scarecrow's case he becomes a drug dealer. This foreshadows how the Joker later allies himself with the mob before finally taking them over for his ends. All due to Batman's influence on the city. Unintended consequences – another major theme of the movie.

I tried to glean some sense from this but couldn't. You're saying it's somehow believable that a super villain would demote themselves to working the drug trade? Like poison ivy selling dope after she get's caught trying to kill a few million people? :pac: Super villains make grander schemes each time, not the opposite. Scarecrows presense in TDK served no purpose whatsoever. Hurt his character if anything.
    Eh yes? If he hadn't have faked his death, the Joker would have hit him where he was vunerable i.e. his family (like how Two-Face does later). Gordon explains all this to the Mayor later in the cell scene. Seriously, were you even listening?

No such dialogue takes place between the Mayor and Gordon in the cells. And Harvey was Joker's target, he would have only noticed Gordon after he became commisioner (cause he likes killing those) but Gordon only got promoted AFTER the car chase scene where he was revealed to be alive. Which lets face it, was never under discussion for us as an audience (You just don't kill Gordon in a Batman movie) and therefore a pointless plot-line. I certainly didn't believe he had been killed.
    It a burning fire engine actually. And yes, maybe the SWAT team were absolutely bricking themselves that the Joker was gonna strike at any time from anywhere and so were afraid to stop and turn back, so made a panic decision and diverted down the tunnel? Also, at this point they weren't to know that the Joker had a legion of nutball volunteers who were willing to help him run police vehicles off the streets.

Of course they were to know, Gordon and Batman intentionally set up the transfer to lure the Joker. And Gordon was driving the vehicle, he was more in the know than most, he was in the loop with Batman. So he had a sudden memory lapse and panicked? Seems to me he should have been in complete control, and telling the rest of the vans to stop and use the opposite COMPLETELY EMPTY LANE. Whole roads were blocked off. Just had a look at it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm glad i'm not the only one who prefers BB to TDK, TDK is good, very good, but overall I prefer Begins, its probably the first Batman movie thats actually about Batman, the previous movies are more about the villains, especially the Burton ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

krudler wrote: »
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who prefers BB to TDK, TDK is good, very good, but overall I prefer Begins, its probably the first Batman movie thats actually about Batman, the previous movies are more about the villains, especially the Burton ones.

I much prefer the first one!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You think it's realistic that blueprints for the Batmobile were somehow placed in accounts records? Crap, hopefully they haven't been using batarangs as paperweights in the HR department... :pac:

It is pretty plausible. Those were blue prints for military vehicles made by Wayne's company possibly years before he returned and took over in BB. It was never designed specifically as the batmobile, all they did was paint it black. It wouldn't have taken much to recognise it on the news. It's not much of a stretch that a wayne employee found something like that after they went digging, its possible they were familiar with the original project even(though I don't remember if thats alluded to). Going by the TDKR trailers Bane has managed to get his hands on a few of the prototypes too.

I don't agree with the criticisms of the joker portrayal either, it was the most faithful portrayal to the books by far and it would have been something very new to people who had not read the comics. Before TDK, the animated series had probably done the best job, but they were restricted because it was essentially a kids show, so many times he was played for laughs too, but they always managed to hint at the sinister nature underneath. The thing I always took from the Joker was that nobody should find his "jokes" funny but himself. He's very much insane in the books, cold,calculating, extremely intelligent but very much insane.

Scarecrow was underused in the first film, and never felt like a worthy protagonist I thought. I agree they did a great job of making him more believable, but he's never been that fantastical either since he relies on a hallucinogen in the books too. I wouldn't consider either him or the joker super villains in these movies at all. It makes sense for crane to be a little washed up by the second film too, he had quite a lofty official position in the first film which he abused, by TDK he's washed up and on the run, since they're going for a level of quai-realism I thought it worked fine that he had been reduced somewhat.

I think overall BB is the better Batman film it feels more like a Batman movie. TDK was a lot more ambitious though and I think it edges BB slightly because of that, even if it did sacrifice a little of the more athentic Batman feel of the first film. Both films owe a lot to Year One and The Long Holloween respectively, and I loved seeing large chunks of those books brought to the screen in this fashion, particularly Year One. I'm guessing we'll see lots of Knightfall in TDKR, though only elements of it, like with the first two.

I've been a Batman fan all my life and to finally see the character portrayed on the big screen in this fashion is fantastic. As Krudler said, with BB they finally made a Batman movie about Batman. And TDK took the story to a level of complexity and ambitiousness I've only ever seen in the books. Sure its not the same as the books, but in terms of the character its the closest I've ever seen outside of the animated series. The original Batman series of movies didn't understand Batman imo, but these movies do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

One thing which has been hinted at in BB but not mentioned in TDK is the new Batcave. In BB it is unfinished and not very hospitable with water dropping down everywhere(not meaning to suggest previous ones had shag pile in them or anything). At the end of BB when the mansion is destroyed by fire, Alfred suggests they "improve the foundations in the south-east wing", obviously hinting at a professionally built batcave.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether we will get to see it? If so, what would a Nolans Batman(e.g. realistic), Batcave look like and what would be in it?

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    One thing which has been hinted at in BB but not mentioned in TDK is the new Batcave. In BB it is unfinished and not very hospitable with water dropping down everywhere(not meaning to suggest previous ones had shag pile in them or anything). At the end of BB when the mansion is destroyed by fire, Alfred suggests they "improve the foundations in the south-east wing", obviously hinting at a professionally built batcave.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether we will get to see it? If so, what would a Nolans Batman(e.g. realistic), Batcave look like and what would be in it?

There was talk of the Turda Salt Mines in Romania being used as the new cave, don't know if it ever got confirmed or not.

Christopher_Nolan_Bringing_The_Batcave_Back_For_Dark_Knight_Rises_1314978424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

12. OK so this is gonna be how we capture the Joker. We're gonna bait him with Harvey Dent. Oh, so that burning bus in the way of our route is probably the Joker's doing, right? So, maybe we shouldn't divert into an underground tunnel? Cause maybe that's what he wants? Nah, let's go for it anyways, I don't like that helicopter with all that weaponry that's defending us, even if we have to stop to slowly go around that flaming bus.

I think you maybe didnt appreciate the joker as you may not have picked up on some of his subtle dark humour moments throughout the movie, like the irony of having a fire engine being on fire....the film has loads of those kinds of humourous dark jokes which show how he is a psycho and is always trying to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

12. OK so this is gonna be how we capture the Joker. We're gonna bait him with Harvey Dent. Oh, so that burning bus in the way of our route is probably the Joker's doing, right? So, maybe we shouldn't divert into an underground tunnel? Cause maybe that's what he wants? Nah, let's go for it anyways, I don't like that helicopter with all that weaponry that's defending us, even if we have to stop to slowly go around that flaming bus.

I think you maybe didnt appreciate the joker as you may not have picked up on some of his subtle dark humour moments throughout the movie, like the irony of having a fire engine being on fire....the film has loads of those kinds of humourous dark jokes which show how he is a psycho and is always trying to be funny.
    Jasus I never even considered that. Any other moments that people might not of picked up on

shrewdness wrote: »
    katie-holmes-2011.jpg

or

40785_pro.jpg
    Honestly can't see how anyone would think Maggie Gyllenhaal is better looking than Katie Holmes tbh.
    oh, i can make one too!

no_makeup_katie_holmes.jpg

Maggie-Gyllenhaal.jpg

and i think you have completely missed the whole point of my post, i was saying you are using alot of nonsense to try to backing up that you think TDK is a bad film.

Your subjective opinion is fine (which is why I said it was an interesting read) but bashing on the vase/actress (which is something utterly insignificant in BB/TDK) to help making your points is just lame.

Troll harder or go watch Secretary.

katie holmes is generic. Maggie Gyllenhaal is a diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

seraphimvc wrote: »
    and i think you have completely missed the whole point of my post, i was saying you are using alot of nonsense to try to backing up that you think TDK is a bad film.

Your subjective opinion is fine (which is why I said it was an interesting read) but bashing on the vase/actress (which is something utterly insignificant in BB/TDK) to help making your points is just lame.

Troll harder or go watch Secretary.

katie holmes is generic. Maggie Gyllenhaal is a diamond.

Eh I think you're mistaking me with someone else! All I did was stumble across the last few posts in this thread and had to post a reply when I seen you say Maggie G is far hotter than Katie Holmes(but that's besides the point, everyone has different tastes), I wasn't bashing anything! Certainly not trolling anyone, I think BB and TDK are both great films!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If youve ever watched Secretary, Maggie G is automatically much hotter then Katie
    me-gusta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Katie just went through BB entirely with a bitchy scowl on her face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Katie just went through BB entirely with a bitchy scowl on her face.

Thats actually her regular face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

New Dark Knight Rises trailer to air during England Vs France
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/new-dark-knight-rises-trailer-to-air-during-england-vs-france

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this??

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »
    Eh I think you're mistaking me with someone else! All I did was stumble across the last few posts in this thread and had to post a reply when I seen you say Maggie G is far hotter than Katie Holmes(but that's besides the point, everyone has different tastes), I wasn't bashing anything! Certainly not trolling anyone, I think BB and TDK are both great films!
    lol i thought you are Andy! sorry about that!

keep going people, ignore my post!

maggie is so pretty though!

Advertisement