Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluetooth Advertising

• 30-04-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all , I am in the middle of testing out a new Bluetooth Advertising System . I am looking for a shop that is located in the city centre with a good footfall where I can test it .
    I am willing to put their add on the system( and only theirs ) if they are willing to put it into their shop for a few days.
    Thanks for looking

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I dont get it. Do you fire spam bluetooth messages at peoples enabled devices and hope that some people accept your messages? Are you aware that people could use the same tactic to send viruses and if they did it in an area your business was operating you would probably be accused of being responsible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Hmm yeh, sounds like you could be trying ye olde tried and tested SPAM route there. Don't know if its the way to go to be honest.

I have seen, and maybe this is what you are talking about, interactive style installations in stores etc that you kind of opt-in to interacting with... They look good

• Registered Users Posts: 34 george007

It is all permission based . The owner is asked if they want to receive a massage. This is very big in Europe . It is starting to take off over here .
    It is already in Jervis Street Shopping Centre , Musgraves , Subway Blanch ( none of these are mine by the way ) .
    All you have to do is to google it and you will see yourself.
    It is my far the cheapest way off advertising .
    It cost nothing to the person who receives the message on there phone.
    You can reach phones up to 100 metres in range.
    You can chanage the add as many times as you want.

All I want is a location to test it

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

@george007

By permission based do you mean the customer gets a unsolicited message simply due to proximity on the phone asking if they do or don't want to get the message... which is spam. Or does the customer take out their phone to connect to your device to get their message, which would be ok.

Since Irish Law prohibits email spam and this is far more intrusive, Its highly likely that they will also, eventually, outlaw bluetooth nuisance intrusions. So I would think getting into a business such as this and investing in all that kit would be highly risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

By permission based do you mean the customer gets a unsolicited message simply due to proximity on the phone asking if they do or don't want to get the message... which is spam. Or does the customer take out their phone to connect to your device to get their message, which would be ok.

Answer - BOTH

Since Irish Law prohibits email spam and this is far more intrusive, Its highly likely that they will also, eventually, outlaw bluetooth nuisance intrusions. So I would think getting into a business such as this and investing in all that kit would be highly risky.

I have already gone to the Data Commissioners office and got a mail from them to say that it is OK ( because it is permission based . i.e the person has to accept a message . )

Condi . I have bought one in from the states . It is as you call it a fancy type router . It can be used as a stand alone unit or be configured over the net .

All I need is a location to test it on . I was think there would be somebody out there interested in free advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Overview

****** are the original Bluetooth Marketing solution using this compact base unit and AirCable high power transmitters. The base unit measures 4.5" x 4.5" x 1.4" and weighs just 1.1 lbs.

Our solution is so good that others try to duplicate it!

The system includes a small base unit, a USB flash drive, and Windows campaign management software. Select from three Bluetooth transmitter options with 50m, 90m, or 120m range. Optional FM transmitters and carry cases are available.

NO ONE OFFERS A MORE POWERFUL BLUETOOTH TRANSMITTER OR LONGER RANGE.

Configuration of your bluetooth unit can be done using a USB flash drive or over a network connection.

To use the USB flash drive, just plug it into your PC and use the provided Windows software to select the files you need for your next marketing campaign. The provided software then copies the files to USB drive. When the USB drive is plugged into the bluetooth unit, the unit will copy the new files into it's local storage. Your Bluetooth advertisement can consist of multiple files and file types.

If the unit is connected to a network, the flyers can be manually updated over an FTP or HTTP connection. The bluetooth unit also supports automatically updating its flyers and configuration over the network connection.

There are two models available, the Basic Edition which supports a single ad campaign, and the Advanced Edition which can support multiple campaigns simultaneously. The multiple ad campaign modes are:

Rotating Ads: Flyer 1 is sent to phone 1, flyer 2 is sent to phone 2, and so on, to evenly distribute all ads.
    Per Visit Ads: Flyer 1 is sent the first time a phone is seen, Flyer 2 the second time the same phone is seen, and so on.
    Scheduled Ads: Times slots are specified for each flyer, down time can be scheduled by leaving a time slot empty. Set unique contact names for each time slot.
    Per Transmitter Ads: Up to three transmitters acting as independent Bluetooth marketing units, each with its own contact message. Which ever transmitter contacts a phone first will send the phone its assigned ad.
    Bluetooth marketing is proximity-based. Your choice of Bluetooth tranmitters will determine the distance covered by your marketing effort. A long range transmitter can be used to cover a much larger distance, increasing the number of potential customers who receive your ad.

Remote network access allows updating the bluetooth flyer and FM broadcast files, and reviewing access logs. The bluetooth unit can be configured for a static IP address to it can use DHCP. Support for USB data modems allows network access in remote locations.

Networked mode allows multiple units to be used to cover a larger location and transmit the same flyer without sending duplicates to the same Bluetooth device. The units share their logs to ensure that a flyer is only sent once to a particular customer.

The FM broadcast can be used to transmit instructions on how to access BlueFlyers from a cell phone, details about a daily special, or music. Multiple MP3 files can be put on the bluetooth unit for FM transmission and the unit will rotate through them.

The Bluetooth transmitters use CSR chipsets which support up to 7 simultaneous connections, and each unit can have multiple transmitters for 14, 21, or more connections.

The base unit and Bluetooth transmitter are FCC and CE approved components for use in the U.S. and Europe. The FM transmitter is FCC approved for use in the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i know when I am in dundrum I get bluetooth requests. Never accepted any of them, as I would worry about it being a virus attack. I would do the same in town, I would never accept a bluetooth file request unless it was from a mate standing beside me.

Hi Mitch,

Some companies are using it this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK1d2mRwoII

So at least you know where it is coming from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheGooseLicker

this wrecks my head everytime i go into merion shopping centre get some credit card thing... grr

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

You should proably have a read of this guidance published on the DAta Protection Commissioners website.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=m&fn=/documents/guidance/Bluetooth_technology.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

saw this been used very effectivly in athlone there a few months back....the shop in question was sending people messages in a raffle kinda where were you could or could not win vouchers for there shop if you accepted....

i won a fiver voucher so happy days...
    people won't accept anything unless it somehow benifits them thats how i look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dakor

A campaign like this should be planned and not just thrown up on a shop hoping to grab everyone that walks by.

Deployment of a campaign like this can make or break the results. If deployed incorrectly it can have a negative affect on the company.

Some food for thought:

• Ensure a good user experience. It is important that the supplier of proximity devices have a up-to-date database of mobile phone devices to ensure that the content sent will fit the mobile device.
    • Deliver compelling content. The content that is sent to mobile phones should be compelling and relevant to the location and event. e.g. competition for vouchers at Athlone shop.
    • Prevent Spam - the Bluetooth device should be adjusted to reach targets at the certain distance to the call to action. We have found 20 - 30 feet from the call to action to be optimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...If you are silly enough to have bluetooth turned on all day then you probably deserve to be shot with the big blue spam gun:D

Bluetooth = no battery

Advertisement