Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting Time for Operation

Options
  • 30-04-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just wondering what the average waiting time is for operations at the moment. I am waiting 2 months for a bowel operation in St Vincents, Dublin and I have private health insurance. Should I be expecting to be called soon or can I expect a lengthy wait??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

not being smart, but it depends on the hospital, the department, what surgery is required and the urgency of it, among other things

best bet is to phone teh secretary of the consultant you're under and ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Im waiting for a fusion operation on my back, i have had 5 discectomies already and the fusion is the final solution. I have health insurance and im getting it done in the Hermitage clinic.

The soonest i can get it done is in late June. It depends on how urgent the operation is and how long the waiting list is with your surgeon. Having health insurance does not guarantee that you will get it done within a few days of being diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

sam34 wrote: »
    not being smart, but it depends on the hospital, the department, what surgery is required and the urgency of it, among other things
    ....and also the urgency of others in the queue..........

Queues change all the time - new time critical cases get bumped up quickly.
    I'm not saying that anyone's case isn't critical, but these things are relative - As we often say, "There's always someone else who's worse"

...meantime the wait is hardly bearable...

Best of luck with the opearion PaddyJules! If you're in the Hawthorn ward in Vincent's, then you're in damn good hands! I had a radical prostatectomy in Vincent's two years ago and I *CANNOT* say enough good things about the staff and care I got there. I reckon it made a huge difference to my recovery.

Advertisement