Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me an epilator?

• 30-04-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi ladies! I'm looking to buy an epilator but have no idea what to look for when deciding which one to buy! Had a quick look in boots and Argos and prices seem to vary a lot! Is there much of a difference in them all? I'm hoping on not spending a bomb on it as I'm not 100% sure if epilating is for me yet, but I also don't want to buy one that's so cheap that's gonna hurt like hell! Had a quick search in TLL too and it seems the Braun episilk is popular but it seems to me there's even different versions of that! So any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I had to google what it was, no idea what it was :o

Found a thread about it in fashion and appearance as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

I have a Braun one, not sure which one exactly, it's green and white and has a light on it. The light is so handy for seeing the ones you've missed.I bought mine a few years ago now so I'm not 100% sure you can even still get it. One thing I would say is that first time it will more than likely hurt like hell, it gets so much easier after that though! I barely even notice it anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

:Pdo they work the same as waxing? they pull the hair out? are they actually good have been thnking of getting onee for awahile now as i hate stubble from shaving:eek:oh to have hairless legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I have a braun silk-ipil, first couple of times are :eek: oweee! but after that it's a doddle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

susanroth wrote: »
    :Pdo they work the same as waxing? they pull the hair out? are they actually good have been thnking of getting onee for awahile now as i hate stubble from shaving:eek:oh to have hairless legs
    Yeah it works the same, it's like a load of little tweezers that rotate and pluck the hairs out. Saves a fortune on hair removal because once you buy the epilator your good to go, no paying for waxing every 6wks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

When I used one on my legs I ended up with LOADS of ingrown hairs, which I never got after shaving/waxing- so if you're investing in one, get a good ingrown hair prevention oil/cream, just in case. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've just started using one, and ye gads, it's the Devil's own hair remover. I'm glad to hear it gets easier, because for a second there I just thought about cutting my losses and amputating the leg.

Is there a noteable difference of results between models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I have a braun silk-ipil, first couple of times are :eek: oweee! but after that it's a doddle. :)

I wouldn't quite call it a doddle. The backs of my legs always make me shiver when I put it there! It's brilliant on my underarms....I couldn't bear to put it to my thighs! :(

I wouldn't quite call it a doddle. The backs of my legs always make me shiver when I put it there! It's brilliant on my underarms....I couldn't bear to put it to my thighs! :(

I have a high pain threshold...I once did my bikini line with it, wasn't that bad. :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I have a high pain threshold...I once did my bikini line with it, wasn't that bad. :o:D

I tried to do that once....I basically gave myself a Brazilian....MANY MANY tears were shed that day. I went into a salon all shy, and when the girl took a look all she could do was laugh....:o

• Advertisement

Eeeek! I'm not that brave! :eek:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

Just don't buy the one they had in Lidl last week :eek:

Not sure how it compares to other brands but it was very painful. I tried to tidy up a few strays that might peek out of my swimsuit and actually drew blood:mad: It literally ripped the hairs out!!

I'm going back to stealing my boyfriends razors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i only ever tried one once and that was enough

think it was the philips one

i've never had a problem with waxing, but this motherfcuking epilator hurt like hell, and i only used it on my lower legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I think the newer ones are better. I had a Philips one years ago and lets just say using it was not the most pleasant experience. It put me off epilation. However I bought a Braun Silk-Epil one recently enough and actually only used the epilation attachment for the first time last week; and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. It wasn't painless; but it was certainly a lot less painful; so the type of epilator used must make some sort of difference.

They have offers on epilators in Boots at the minute actually:); and good value on Amazon on them too:)

I bought the braun one today. What is with the plug though? I can't use it and im so annoyed it didnt mention that on the outside of the box that it was only 2 prong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 humpysomething

susanroth wrote: »
    I bought the braun one today. What is with the plug though? I can't use it and im so annoyed it didnt mention that on the outside of the box that it was only 2 prong

I bought a phillips one today after reading a good few of these threads. Working up the courage to try it!
    Thought it was a two pronged plug so bought an adaptor for it. Turns out it's a normal plug!

I must be one of few who didn't know that these things could come with a two prong plug:rolleyes:I'm dying to try it out but alas I'm a long way from a shop tht sells an adaptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭qwerty2

Bought the Braun episilk 5 yesterday in Boots on special offer! Didn't realise it was two prong either, but thankfully had adaptors handy at home! Used it last night and today and can say I'm very happy indeed! Takes a little while to get used to it/the pinching feeling but once that was over it was brilliant! Even found the courage to do underarm and bikini line and it wasn't that bad at all. Will definitely be using it for a hairfree summer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 C_J

Yeah it works the same, it's like a load of little tweezers that rotate and pluck the hairs out. Saves a fortune on hair removal because once you buy the epilator your good to go, no paying for waxing every 6wks!

Oh sweet lord!! I saw an ad for the Braun one the other day andcommented to my housemate that I wanted to get one. BUT I didn't bloody know that it literally plucks your legs, I thought it was just like a fancy razor that gives you really smooth hairfree legs for longer than a disposble or something. That slight dumb thought could have left me mentally scarred for life if I hadn't read this thread (i don't handle pain well:)) :D. I'm going to have to psych myself up before I attempt using one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

I got a Braun Episilk last week and just used it for the first time earlier this evening. I can still feel little hairs and a bit of stubble over my legs, didnt matter how many times I went over it :/ Maybe I need to switch heads from the one with the massage rollars to without, but hoping I haven't wasted my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

I picked up one the last day. Regret not doing it sooner!

I've the braun xcelle 5 one. Fecking awesome. So pleased with it.

Did my underarms, not for the faint-hearted.
    xoixo wrote: »
    I got a Braun Episilk last week and just used it for the first time earlier this evening. I can still feel little hairs and a bit of stubble over my legs, didnt matter how many times I went over it :/ Maybe I need to switch heads from the one with the massage rollars to without, but hoping I haven't wasted my money.

The hair has to a be a certain length, for the epilator to be effective. Same as waxing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I find I'm more prone to ingrown hairs with my epilator than I ever was with waxing, so I always exfoliate my legs in the shower to prevent them. I'd been waxing my legs for about two years when I first bought my epilator, so it wasn't painful at all, underarms were a bit uncomfortable though cos I shaved those before and the hair was stronger. Ouch. I've had my epilator for five years now and it's still going, think how much money I've saved by not waxing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Waterloo Sunset

I bought the one in Lidl and I found it grand for long term clear legs.

More a general epilation problem: Anyone else find the hairs that do grow back now are blonde, fuzzy hairs that are a bit more difficult to epilate to get a smooth result - any tips?

Advertisement