Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 false/misleading advertising AGAIN

Options
  • 30-04-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Clicking on the boards.ie ad (repeatedly (cough)) brings you to this link http://www.o2online.ie/shop/broadband/mobile/ where they make another lying and deliberately misleading claim that you get a free modem "ONLY HERE ON O2.ie" by that it is easily assumed that they are the only comm company giving away a free modem.
    Of course the infantile argument will be "get THIS modem" like THIS O2 branded modem and not the VODAFONE modem here and only here which is complete bs.
    Also note that when you scroll down the page away from the big flashing advert the modem is anything but FREE.

Here is the link to Vodafone's offer for a free modem too...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/mobilebroadband/gallery_details.jsp?tab=paymonthly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

can you explain where the rip-off is here.

Surely something that is free cannot be a rip-off???

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

They're free but only if you commit to a contract for 18 months = €358... Seems there's always a big if in there somewhere...

Vodafone has a similar deal but it's only for 12 months, bit of a coincidence that the monthly cost is exactly the same €19-90...

3G do a similar deal but it's €19-99 pm...

So it's a good idea to shop around even if it's "free".

I would not consider any of these to be a rip-off, as you can see what you're getting at a given price...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I don't see it as being a rip off - if anything it seems to be another of your fight the O2 power posts. Not saying that you don't have a grievance with them in general but throwing posts up like this devalues your arguments elsewhere IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Clicking on the boards.ie ad (repeatedly (cough)) brings you to this link http://www.o2online.ie/shop/broadband/mobile/ where they make another lying and deliberately misleading claim that you get a free modem "ONLY HERE ON O2.ie" by that it is easily assumed that they are the only comm company giving away a free modem.
    Of course the infantile argument will be "get THIS modem" like THIS O2 branded modem and not the VODAFONE modem here and only here which is complete bs.
    Also note that when you scroll down the page away from the big flashing advert the modem is anything but FREE.

dude just reading your signature, €1000 euro for 3 months broadband,,

you signed a contract, agreed the usage allowance, you exceeded that, and got billed accordingly... how is o2 to blame? for you not monitoring your usage and going over it?

im not an o2 customer, and they wouldnt be on the top my list, but how are they to blame for you exceeding your monthly data allowance..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There you go assuming things again, and getting it completely wrong again. The modem is free, so no lie there, and it is free on O2.ie, but not in the shops, so again no lie. If you want to go with O2, you can only get the free modem from O2.ie, that's what is meant by the wording of the ad.

Stop misrepresenting things, simply because you feel aggrieved by O2.

You'll have to explain that comment. The modem is free, as in they don't charge any money for it. How exactly is it not free?

I can see only one person posting lies around here, and it's not O2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

So the adverts for sky where you get a free box when you subscribe to sky tv are a rip-off also?

I have to agree with the others. Utter rubbish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bosshogg going on his usual monthly O2 rant with no logic, I love it,

As mentioned above I guess Sky are also giving false info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I don't see it as being a rip off - if anything it seems to be another of your fight the O2 power posts. Not saying that you don't have a grievance with them in general but throwing posts up like this devalues your arguments elsewhere IMO.

Bosshogg wrote:
    @Pageant - 1) I'm not arguing etc, just letting other punters know of the pitfalls of dealing with O2. 2) O2 have no more power than the guy that passes your house in a van selling ice cream. Remember that. How much power have they got to stop me walking into the IRFU and explaining this behaviour of theirs? They're nothing but conmen.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Does the logic shown here mean that I have to report our local car wash for their 'FREE COFFEE, with any car wash' ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

You're such a crazy cat Bosshogg!! Such a kidder! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/mobilebroa...tab=paymonthly
    Maybe if you post about it here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

jimoc wrote: »
    Does the logic shown here mean that I have to report our local car wash for their 'FREE COFFEE, with any car wash' ad?

Yes Jim that's exactly right*
    *Providing that you ask for a regular car
    wash at a regular price and are
    given a "free" coffee only to be
    billed afterwards for the
    sugar at a rate of about €200
    per gram or ONLY 2c
    (and we'd make that bit huge and flash on our website if
    it wasn't upstaged by FREE*) per microgram
    (and you are FREE (Note: CLEARLY no asterisk) to do
    your own version of the
    maths because they'll never openly
    admit what the real cost is anyway)
    which you have unwittingly/CLEARLY/legally
    binding agreed to by making the
    car wash purchase and clicking on
    the "Start Wash" button with the
    little asterisk CLEARLY beside it as
    the forecourt attendent will later
    point out (after you have been
    billed) while handing you a microscope
    so you can read the 5000 word contract
    on the back of the till reciept to
    explain that the little asterisk denotes
    that you have in fact agreed to the
    T&Cs that you are now finally being
    made aware of. Note that if you
    don't use the sugar then you are
    Free to enjoy your Free coffee
    for free and remain blissfully unaware
    of why other customers found the
    sugar in their coffee to leave a rather
    bitter taste.

That's not one bit confusing is it?
    Is that confusing?
    Fek, I'm lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

Have you seen the advert for Coca-Cola zero at the bottom of this page? I think I'm going to take them to court for lying about the great Coke taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Greyfox

OP, your cluching at straws now and your posts are getting more and more childish, theirs absolutely nothing in this O2 add that would mislead a person with even an ounce of common sence. Your issue if the fact that you didn't bother to read O2's terms and conditions befor you signed up, how are O2 to blame for the fact that you agreed to something without actually reading what you were agreeing to? Yes I accept that T&C's are small print etc but the fact is every other broadband company also has their T&C's in small print that can be agreed to by clicking a link. If anything your issue should now be with all Broadband companies, but I don't see how they should be blamed for the fact that so people agree to things without bothering to check what their agreeing to first

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Honda08 wrote: »
    dude just reading your signature, €1000 euro for 3 months broadband,,

you signed a contract, agreed the usage allowance, you exceeded that, and got billed accordingly... how is o2 to blame? for you not monitoring your usage and going over it?

im not an o2 customer, and they wouldnt be on the top my list, but how are they to blame for you exceeding your monthly data allowance..?

I disagree. I imagine that most customers don't spend much time reading the contract or checking amendments. They simply assume that their price plan is competitive and it probably is. The problem is that it is not capped at a certain cost per month and they provide no warning that you are over a certain limit. It is this way for mobiles and I assume that it is the same for broadband. AFAIK mobile operators will soon by law have to offer this monthly limit on mobiles.

I think it is reasonable to expect the service provider to warn you that you are over your limit. Though it is obviously not in their interest.

EDIT: Though I don't have any problem with their advertising.

Advertisement