Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy on Talking about Dead People

Options
  • 30-04-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain boards policy on this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Do you mean recently deceased condolence threads? Or dead people in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

He's referring to his helpdesk thread and an AH ban.

Re dead celeb threads,there was a bit of a kerfuffle a while back and IFIRC the rule of thumb is if you are going to post in a dead celeb thread then be respectful and just dont act like a geebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

any chance this could be stated somewhere?

WindSock wrote: »
    Do you mean recently deceased condolence threads? Or dead people in general?

obviously not condolence threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

http://www.boards.ie/terms/tou.php

You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:

post any abusive, harmful, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, indecent, profane, inappropriate, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable Material, except where the content is appropriate to the content of the forum and you have been granted specific permission to do so and subject to our guidelines on said content

so how do you know if something is inappropriate?

maybe if the mods said something like this:

MOD WARNING - Keep all comments in this thread civil and respectful please
    jtsuited wrote: »
    If you want to have a policy like this, please state in the OP that you are not allowed to say anything bad about Gerry Ryan.

the mod warning was in the OP.
    Simple really.
    you'd think so, wouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

It is, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_civil

There's no explicit policy on talking about dead people. There is explicit policy about talking to or about people in general. "Don't be a dick".

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I dont think the mods can handle criticism of some body who has passed away even though people in whom we pass comment on have courted the media and made a good living from it.
    I made a comment and came close to been banned?

in the context of 'civil and respectful', i would interpret respectful as being in relation to other users. In fact I imagine that's what was meant.

Removing posts that say anything negative about a recently deceased celebrity is an entirely different matter.

So I'm going to ask this explicitly...

Are we allowed to talk about the dead negatively on this site?

Conor wrote: »
    It is, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_civil

There's no explicit policy on talking about dead people. There is explicit policy about talking to or about people in general. "Don't be a dick".

so is your implication that I was being a dick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's stated by the mods on every condolence thread. Generally several warnings are given; posts are deleted and only if someone really extracts the urine infractions/bans are handed out.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's stated by the mods on every condolence thread. Generally several warnings are given; threads are deleted and only if someone really extracts the urine infractions/bans are handed out.

didn't know it was a condolence thread. actually, is it? I'm fairly sure it's not. I was never warned. No infraction. Nothing. Just a big aul ban.

didn't know it was a condolence thread. actually, is it? I'm fairly sure it's not. I was never warned. No infraction. Nothing. Just a big aul ban.

This is more of a HelpDesk thread tbh.

I can remember some of your posts, you ignored several mod warnings and if you were banned it was probably deserved FWICR.

eh, you've got the wrong guy here Zohan. I posted TWICE in the thread. Didn't ignore any warnings.
    And I've put a thread up in helpdesk. The mod who banned me said he wasn't willing to explain the policy by pm so I should ask here. So that's what I've done.

so is your implication that I was being a dick?

Certainly:
    jsuited wrote:
    really?? fcuk that then. everybody quote me. makes the mod's life a pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

in the context of 'civil and respectful', i would interpret respectful as being in relation to other users. In fact I imagine that's what was meant.

Removing posts that say anything negative about a recently deceased celebrity is an entirely different matter.

So I'm going to ask this explicitly...

Are we allowed to talk about the dead negatively on this site?

Hitler,what a c**t.

Im probably safe enough because the general consensus is that he was.

Most celebritys will have more fans than detractors so if people start flaming the dead celeb then obviously the celebs fans get pissed off,start flaming back and all of a sudden there is a giant clusterfook and the thread gets locked.

If you are going to post in dead celeb threads for no other reason than to have a cheap pop or to try and get a few thanks then whats the point?

Common sense would point to the fact that the dead person is someones son/daughter/parent/sibling so a bit of respect isnt too much to ask is it?

so I can't say Gerry Ryan was an embodiment of everything that was wrong with Modern Ireland, but you can call me a dick?

Right o. I have no problem with that. Once I'm allowed to do the same.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Hitler,what a c**t.

Im probably safe enough because the general consensus is that he was.

Most celebritys will have more fans than detractors so if people start flaming the dead celeb then obviously the celebs fans get pissed off,start flaming back and all of a sudden there is a giant clusterfook and the thread gets locked.

If you are going to post in dead celeb threads for no other reason than to have a cheap pop or to try and get a few thanks then whats the point?

Common sense would point to the fact that the dead person is someones son/daughter/parent/sibling so a bit of respect isnt too much to ask is it?
    Common sense would also point to the fact that somebody who makes a CAREER out of publicity is fair game for criticism. Alive or dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

so I can't say Gerry Ryan was an embodiment of everything that was wrong with Modern Ireland, but you can call me a dick?

Acting the dick and calling someone a dick are two different things! You ignored the mod warning in the first post so quit you whining and suck it up!

Lovely way to interpret what I said.

Good luck with that.

You were asked to show some respect for someone that had just passed, it was a mod warning. Mr Ryans son Rex is a poster here on boards. How would you feel if your dad was slated just after him passing away?

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

people have been posting all sorts about Gerry Ryan (and others) all the time for the last number of years. why does it only become inappropriate when he (and others) died?

oh my heart bleeds. ffs. pathetic. i couln't care less if his son posts here. if i think someone who makes a career out of being in the public eye is crap, I'm going to say it.

Yes I should be ashamed of myself. By saying what anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows.

Good stuff.
    Populist sentimentality ftw!

this is our diana.

haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

people have been posting all sorts about Gerry Ryan (and others) all the time for the last number of years. why does it only become inappropriate when he (and others) died?
    Hey, even Megatron felt a little remorseful when he killed Optimus Prime.

In all seriousness though Trampling on someone's grave is a sensitive issue. In this case he was both loved and hated, and a father of 5. A controversial radio personality albeit, but a part of daily routine for hundreds of thousands of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm happy for you jtsuited and I'ma let you finish, but Princess Diana had the greatest outpouring of public grief of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Your crusade for the right to hurl abuse at a dead man is damned heroic. I salute you!

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm happy for you jtsuited and I'ma let you finish, but Princess Diana had the greatest outpouring of public grief of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Your crusade for the right to hurl abuse at a dead man is damned heroic. I salute you!
    haha. about time.
    if you can't hurl abuse at dead people, well, i don't even want to finish that hypothesis....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yeah!

Wait, what? Oh Christ, you're serious. Um, sorry.

sarcasmometer is broken???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Hang on a second. I was over in that thread and several of my comments were removed. I wasn't even close to "Ryan-bashing" but because I commented that the RTE headline on Quinn was a more pertinent issue than his loss I was told to "get real" by some offended fan. My reply was then deleted, but his post remained. So you're only allowed to praise Gerry Ryan in a thread which indicates nothing of the sort in the title.

The guy who told me to get real for making a fair comment was allowed to have his post stand, presumably because he was posting with the general consensus. I wasn't, so it got deleted.

Are we really moving towards a forum where the slightest chance of someone's relative reading anything about anyone will affect what we can and can't post? And do you really think that any of his relatives are spending the evening reading this?

Most pathetic excuse in the world. I'd have no problem with any of this if the thread title clearly stated that it was a condolences thread ONLY. But the title indicates no such thing. If you're going to delete posts for disagreeing with each other on a thread like this, delete all or none. By the way I've already pm-d a mod on this but have had no comeback as it seems they're too busy deleting posts they don't agree with.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    You were asked to show some respect for someone that had just passed, it was a mod warning. Mr Ryans son Rex is a poster here on boards. How would you feel if your dad was slated just after him passing away?

sorry i didn't answer this earlier. If my dad was gerry ryan, who was paid over half a million a year for being in the public eye and whose only source of income was celebrity related, I'd think 'this comes with the territory'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement