Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy on Talking about Dead People

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

fcuk me boards has really gone to the dogs if the main fundamental policy is 'let's not upset anyone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

pookie82 wrote: »
    Hang on a second. I was over in that thread and several of my comments were removed. I wasn't even close to "Ryan-bashing" but because I commented that the RTE headline on Quinn was a more pertinent issue than his loss I was told to "get real" by some offended fan. My reply was then deleted, but his post remained. So you're only allowed to praise Gerry Ryan in a thread which indicates nothing of the sort in the title.

The guy who told me to get real for making a fair comment was allowed to have his post stand, presumably because he was posting with the general consensus. I wasn't, so it got deleted.

Are we really moving towards a forum where the slightest chance of someone's relative reading anything about anyone will affect what we can and can't post? And do you really think that any of his relatives are spending the evening reading this?

Most pathetic excuse in the world. I'd have no problem with any of this if the thread title clearly stated that it was a condolences thread ONLY. But the title indicates no such thing. If you're going to delete posts for disagreeing with each other on a thread like this, delete all or none. By the way I've already pm-d a mod on this but have had no comeback as it seems they're too busy deleting posts they don't agree with.
    Probably more a case of it being a condolence thread that the mods didnt want to be derailed by the Quinn layoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Overheal wrote: »
    Probably more a case of it being a condolence thread that the mods didnt want to be derailed by the Quinn layoffs.

Sorry but that's a cop out. And if that was the case his response (which compared both scenarios) should have been deleted too. But guess what, it wasn't, because he was saying what the mods wanted to hear.

And again, WHERE does it say condolence thread in the title???????????

so any chance they could rename the thread 'condolences only' then?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

jtsuited wrote: »
    so any chance they could rename the thread 'condolences only' then?

when most posts include the letters rip, it sort of obvious its a condolence thread

• Advertisement

when most posts include the letters rip, it sort of obvious its a condolence thread

Hang on so I'm supposed to read the 50 odd pages of the thread to gauge what I can and can't post now? Titles don't have to be descriptive anymore, no?

I couldn't care less how many RIPs he gets. Unless the title is specific in directing that I can ONLY express a similar sentiment, I think all or none of the conflicting opinions should stand.

Can I reiterate again that I was not bashing the guy, i was expressing an opinion. But it was the wrong one according to some.

yeah but see it's sort of obvious that when there's a condolence thread it should be stated. The reason I say this is because usually when there is a condolence thread it says it in the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

oh my heart bleeds. ffs. pathetic. i couln't care less if his son posts here. if i think someone who makes a career out of being in the public eye is crap, I'm going to say it.

Yes I should be ashamed of myself. By saying what anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows.

Good stuff.
    Populist sentimentality ftw!
    Jesus what kind of person are you? Obviously have never been unfortunate enough to lose a father very suddenly. Show some respect. If you had "half an ounce of common sense" you would keep your completely disrespectful and unfeeling comments to yourself. What kind of a statement is "if i think someone who makes a career out of being in the public eye is crap, I'm going to say it". So what? You listened to him on the radio a few times and disliked him? As much as I can say that he wasn't my favourite radio presenter, I realise that many people are shocked and upset, and I respect others enough to let them grieve and come to terms with what has happened over the last 12 hours, and acting like a dick may make you feel great, but tonight there are 5 children who have just lost their father, whether he was in the public eye or not is completely irrelevant tonight, they don't need to see the c**p you are coming out with. Show some respect and just drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

yeah but see it's sort of obvious that when there's a condolence thread it should be stated. The reason I say this is because usually when there is a condolence thread it says it in the thread title.

fcuk me boards has really gone to the dogs if the main fundamental policy is 'let's explain everything in excruciating detail to everyone and not require them to use their brains'.

rebel10 wrote: »
    Jesus what kind of person are you? Obviously have never been unfortunate enough to lose a father very suddenly. Show some respect. If you had "half an ounce of common sense" you would keep your completely disrespectful and unfeeling comments to yourself. What kind of a statement is "if i think someone who makes a career out of being in the public eye is crap, I'm going to say it". So what? You listened to him on the radio a few times and disliked him? As much as I can say that he wasn't my favourite radio presenter, I realise that many people are shocked and upset, and I respect others enough to let them grieve and come to terms with what has happened over the last 12 hours, and acting like a dick may make you feel great, but tonight there are 5 children who have just lost their father, whether he was in the public eye or not is completely irrelevant tonight, they don't need to see the c**p you are coming out with. Show some respect and just drop it.
    i can see you're still struggling to come to terms with Jade Goody's passing, so it's probably best not to argue with you on this.

• Advertisement

anyone going to answer my question? Or have the mods gone suspiciously quiet again on this one? Wondering why this thread employed a selective deletion policy.

Conor wrote: »
    fcuk me boards has really gone to the dogs if the main fundamental policy is 'let's explain everything in excruciating detail to everyone and not require them to use their brains'.

No one has explained anything to me yet. I'm pissing into the wind here it seems.

Conor wrote: »

or just be consistent in your rulings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

i can see you're still struggling to come to terms with Jade Goody's passing, so it's probably best not to argue with you on this.
    What?:confused: Really is this the best you can come up with?

better it?

ANYONE?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

pookie82 wrote: »
    ANYONE?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Feedback is not the place to find out why a mod deleted your posts. PM the mods of AH and they might tell you.

jtsuited: You have a thread in Help Desk, it will be dealt with in due course. There's no need to pollute Feedback with the same topic.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement