Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing & Bonding

• 30-04-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what type of hammer drill should I hire or buy as I am gonna try tracing up the wall from where the shower unit will go for the wire coming in from the fuse box and what type of bonding do you use to close up the trace or can the tiler use ground leveller for the trace before he tiles?

Thanks,
    Francie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

francie81 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what type of hammer drill should I hire or buy as I am gonna try tracing up the wall from where the shower unit will go for the wire coming in from the fuse box and what type of bonding do you use to close up the trace or can the tiler use ground leveller for the trace before he tiles?

Thanks,
    Francie

Maybe this

Comes with a gouge for chasing walls. I have one and its a workhorse. for €55, its paid for itself three times over on the price of hire for me and still going strong. Make sure to put your T&E into oval conduit and you can use bondingto cover it in. Brooks do it in half bags and its only a couple of quid. Not sure if they do it ready mixed but if you are mixing, get a paddle for a drill. Maybe secure it in the wall with a bit of galvoband, and the tiler can the tile over it. Might need a bit of PVA painted on it first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Maybe this

Comes with a gouge for chasing walls. I have one and its a workhorse. for €55, its paid for itself three times over on the price of hire for me and still going strong. Make sure to put your T&E into oval conduit and you can use bondingto cover it in. Brooks do it in half bags and its only a couple of quid. Not sure if they do it ready mixed but if you are mixing, get a paddle for a drill. Maybe secure it in the wall with a bit of galvoband, and the tiler can the tile over it. Might need a bit of PVA painted on it first though.

Yeah was looking at that one fingers. Without sounding like a geek what do mean by T&E into oval conduit?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fmcattack

Yeah was looking at that one fingers. Without sounding like a geek what do mean by T&E into oval conduit?

Put the cable(T&E is the grey cable that runs arond your house) for the shower inside a small oval shaped plastic pipe(called a conduit) so that you can put filler ontop of it to paint.

fmcattack wrote: »
    Put the cable(T&E is the grey cable that runs arond your house) for the shower inside a small oval shaped plastic pipe(called a conduit) so that you can put filler ontop of it to paint.

Oh I think I know what you mean as in a protective cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fmcattack

Oh I think I know what you mean as in a protective cover?

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Also, T&E Stands for Twin and Earth. Be sure that its heavy enough for the rating of the shower. I think regs state that it should be at least 10Square if not 16, but I'm not 100% on which one cos a shower will pull about 10KW (40A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

The neatest way is a wall chaser. Get the dust extractor with it when you hire.

http://www.hirehere.ie/hero.asp?uid=d596d27d24ff5ec6077646ed831d14a4&uidn=37&id=114&prodid=736&catid=13

Get the cable from a reputable electrical supplier like this one:

http://www.tores.ie/

who will advise you on the cabling and conduits you will need

bette wrote: »
    The neatest way is a wall chaser. Get the dust extractor with it when you hire.

http://www.hirehere.ie/hero.asp?uid=d596d27d24ff5ec6077646ed831d14a4&uidn=37&id=114&prodid=736&catid=13

Get the cable from a reputable electrical supplier like this one:

http://www.tores.ie/

who will advise you on the cabling and conduits you will need

Thanks but I'd probably get this only if I wasn't tiling over the chase in my case I am.

Advertisement