Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Skerries wrote: »
    I'd say people in LA and New York must get a pain their ring with the disruption from the non-stop filming going on all the time

Actually very little public filming happens in both cities. It's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

The latest pictures fom the set. It looks like Roland and Jake reunite in New York. I don't know how I feel about these changes but they're not necessarily a bad thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So will this be a bunch of films ?

Also Matthew MCconnaghey playing the Dark Man I assume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So will this be a bunch of films ?

Also Matthew MCconnaghey playing the Dark Man I assume ?

The man in black, yeah. I was hoping for a tv show, but it definitely warrants multiple movies if it's going down that route!

I see that Katheryn Winnick from Vikings is on board now too. No mention of who she's playing yet though.

So has the Stand been delayed then ?

• Advertisement

I actually stopped reading the DT series - halfway through book II, I was enjoying it , I just got distracted ... I should pick it up again soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

A friend said they're gonna skim over the first two books (probably a voice over intro/credits i predict) and pick up from the third book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So has the Stand been delayed then ?

Yes, will probably never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

nix wrote: »
    A friend said they're gonna skim over the first two books (probably a voice over intro/credits i predict) and pick up from the third book.

Fcekers! I've only read the first one so far! Better pick up the second I suppose!

And on the stand, it just has massive potential for a really great trilogy. But if they actually did it low key as opposed to a 100m blockbuster each with battle scenes. With a director like David fincher. Or maybe Danny Boyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Massive King fan but for some reason these books never appealed to me. I tried the first one but just couldn't get into it. I think I just prefer King when he is writing about real people in everyday life.

Having said that, I am sure I will watch this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Shocked, yet not too surprised. The first two books were the best.

Final straw. Someone give me a heads up when released for TV.

Yes, will probably never happen.

Big pity, because Mattew McConnaghey is a good choice for Randal Flagg.

edit he's even better :)

27489864354_2e275beb59_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well that scene above with Roland and Jake is from near the end of the second book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Shocked, yet not too surprised. The first two books were the best.

Final straw. Someone give me a heads up when released for TV.

I really enjoyed The Wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

py2006 wrote: »
    I just prefer King when he is writing about real people in everyday life.

yes real people with telekinetic powers killing people or ordinary people being murdered by possessed cars or real clowns coming back as demons ;)

yes real people with telekinetic powers killing people or ordinary people being murdered by possessed cars or real clowns coming back as demons ;)

He may have only read one short story - Shawshank Redemption. ;)

Hah, I have read most of his work.

Hah, I meant not fantasy or whatever. Small town America with strange things happening to normal folk and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Hah, I meant not fantasy or whatever. Small town America with strange things happening to normal folk and all that.

The best Stephen King adaptions tend to to come from such source material, Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, Misery and (the very underrated) Delores Clayborne.

Actually, that isn't a short story... :P

• Advertisement

Actually, that isn't a short story... :P

Touché (if a little belated)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/14/dark-tower-ew-cover-stephen-king

Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg on cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Burgo wrote: »

They don't feature in The Gunslinger anyway so that's to be expected.

"If [this film] is a hit, there are unlimited plans for sequels and even a companion TV series, exploring all the further dimensions of King’s [Dark Tower] books...
    "The good news: if there’s a sequel, they are guaranteed."

Source

After so many false starts it is finally happening.
    I was at first disapointed with how far they seem to have deviated from the books. In my mind I had a tall slim Roland, Viggo Mortensen perhaps or Matthew Mcconaughey.
    But now I think the change is a good thing. Idris looks amazing in the pics and Matthew's subtle menace is the perfect fit for The Man in Black rather than Roland's strong nobilty.

The books are so epic that I'm not sure how they would have managed to pull off a truer adaptation. If they attempted that and fell wide off the mark it would have been pretty terrible. Whereas this way it's a little bit different to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Genuinely looking forward to this release. Currently finishing off book 6 at the moment. Enjoyed the whole series immensely, just not sure I like the direction that this one has taken. Hopefully the final book smashes it out of the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I like Idris Elba but not sure how he'll do as Roland. I would have liked someone like Jon Hamm for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Suas11 wrote: »
    I like Idris Elba but not sure how he'll do as Roland. I would have liked someone like Jon Hamm for the role.

I've made my peace with Idris Elba as Roland. He has the ability to pull of the sullen broodiness of Roland and, like the director said, the movie(s) are set in a sort of alternate universe so his skin colour should stay largely irrelevant. I can't wait to see a scene similar to the scene in Tull, pure chaotic action, that should be a good indicator of how well Elba can tackle Roland's gunslinger side..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Companion tv show being developed by Ron Howard.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ron-howard-is-still-developing-companion-tv-series-for-the-dark-tower-321

I could see it being a Netflix release or perhaps HBO if they are going down that route.

17th of February next for a theatrical release which is little over 6 months away.

Advertisement