Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

beans wrote: »
    Good call on 'The Stand', it's awesome. I'd read 'Salem's Lot', if you've not already. Maybe 'Insomnia'. And The Mist, which is in the compilation 'Skeleton Key'.

Having said that, 'Lot' is probably the only one that actually gets kinda spoiled by the Dark Tower, should you read DT first. 'Lot' is a good read, you'll fly though it.

Hearts in Atlantis has a huge amount of crossover with TDT also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The kid in the trailer already sort of annoys me, the first half of the trailer felt like a Disney action adventure film like Jumanji etc. It didn't feel like The Dark Tower at all. They definitely could have expressed the two worlds in a better, non Hollywood way imo. Hopefully the actual film doesn't quite come across as the trailer does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Corholio wrote: »
    The kid in the trailer already sort of annoys me, the first half of the trailer felt like a Disney action adventure film like Jumanji etc. It didn't feel like The Dark Tower at all. They definitely could have expressed the two worlds in a better, non Hollywood way imo. Hopefully the actual film doesn't quite come across as the trailer does.

The kid was annoying in the book tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The books with Peter Straub have crossover with the dark tower too. The Talisman and black house.
    There's a third planned in that series too.
    Randall Flagg is in the eyes of the dragon.
    Desperation has some crossover too.
    And the writer/artist in Cell is basically writing his own version of the dark tower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The rights are all over the place, so references to other King works may be limited. It's been suggested that since CBS own the rights to The Stand they also own the rights to the character of Randall Flagg, so MM will only be referred to as MIB in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It like mutants with fox and marvel.

Suppose they can call him Walter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The rights are all over the place, so references to other King works may be limited. It's been suggested that since CBS own the rights to The Stand they also own the rights to the character of Randall Flagg, so MM will only be referred to as MIB in this.

Well he's not referred to as Randall Flagg in the books in any case, mostly Walter Padick/O'Dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

International trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Intro from King himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't know much about the Dark Tower but I've seen some folks who are fans seems to be disappointed in the trailers so far. Bringing King out like this .. feels like .. it's kinda reaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Slydice wrote: »
    I don't know much about the Dark Tower but I've seen some folks who are fans seems to be disappointed in the trailers so far. Bringing King out like this .. feels like .. it's kinda reaching.

I've read the books, but in the trailer it said he has been chasing the man in black
    for centuries
    Really, I don't remember that.

Makes me want to read the books again though. :pac:

I think the fans (I'm one) possibly think the film is missing its soul. Per the trailer Roland is magician marksman rather than extremely skilled gunslinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I've read the books, but in the trailer it said he has been chasing the man in black
    for centuries

I think the fans (I'm one) possibly think the film is missing its soul. Per the trailer Roland is magician marksman rather than extremely skilled gunslinger.

Spoilers so don't read unless you've read book.
    Time became a lot looser in the books. The closer they got to Tower, time became less defined. In Calla he referenced a thousand years searching for Tower. There's also a point where he ended up sleeping for a decade. So centuries is definitely in line with book.
    I'm a book skeptical of film overall but I'm cautiously hopeful.

The film is only 95 minutes long which I'm happy about. The Gunslinger was short in comparison to the other volumes so TDT movie should serve to introduce some of the charectors which will be fleshed out in later movies.

There are also constant rumblings that Wizard and Glass will be done as a tv mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

for centuries

But isn't the whole thing that this begins from the end of the book when Roland now has the Horn of Eld. There is a whole time loop thing where he keeps repeating the journey over and over.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

for centuries

But isn't the whole thing that this begins from the end of the book when Roland now has the Horn of Eld. There is a whole time loop thing where he keeps repeating the journey over and over.

Interesting, didn know the film was starting there.

Yep. And in doing that it gives them massive leeway I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

By right it should be called The Dark Tower Continued or something like that because technically it's not a movie version of The Dark Tower books. It's what happens after the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

GerB40 wrote: »
    By right it should be called The Dark Tower Continued or something like that because technically it's not a movie version of The Dark Tower books. It's what happens after the books.

Ah I didn't know this.

As a massive fan of the tower series I still haven't finished VII. It disappeared up its own ass when King wrote himself into it.

Didn't like the choice of Elba from the start. Nothing to do with him but just not what the books portrayed. Pages are lost to Rolands fair blond hair and blue 'bombardier' eyes.

Its like Cruise as Reacher. A stretch at best.

The gunplay looks ok apart from that gravity drop reload. The fast finger reload was good.

Its been a long time since I read the books but they definitely weren't action orientated.

The Drawing of the Three was the most interesting. Roland waking up in Eddie on a plane.

Susannah/Odetta's overt racism is going to be a hurdle considering its Elba.

Can hardly call him a Honky cracker now can she...

Heckler wrote: »

Its been a long time since I read the books but they definitely weren't action orientated.

Yeah, that's what I got from the trailer too. There's going to be loads of peew peew

Even if Roland was white there's no way Hollywood would allow the racial slurs that happen in the book. The snowflakes would have a meltdown.

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    Even if Roland was white there's no way Hollywood would allow the racial slurs that happen in the book. The snowflakes would have a meltdown.

I dont buy that tbh.

Tarantino for one gets away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I was reading a recent Reddit AMA with Nik Arcel and he basically said that he thought a lot about the racial tension between Detta and Roland and how casting Elba would affect it. He didn't want to give too much away but said he was definitely not going to leave the issue unaddressed.

I have no idea what he plans if a sequel does get made, but sounds like he has a plan :D

kerplun k wrote: »
    I was reading a recent Reddit AMA with Nik Arcel and he basically said that he thought a lot about the racial tension between Detta and Roland and how casting Elba would affect it. He didn't want to give too much away but said he was definitely not going to leave the issue unaddressed.

I have no idea what he plans if a sequel does get made, but sounds like he has a plan :D

Could be Detta as a white supremacist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Could be Detta as a white supremacist?

Ahhhhhh. Never thought of that. Yes. That would be friggin awesome. Completely reverse it from the books... and as an added bonus I'd enjoy the hilarity of everyone losing their sh1t over a white Susannah Dean.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Are the books worth reading? Will be going on holiday in a few weeks and normally get through a few books over the fortnight.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Are the books worth reading? Will be going on holiday in a few weeks and normally get through a few books over the fortnight.

Most posters here are going to be biased, but yes, IMO.

razorblunt wrote: »

I hope you have a kindle!! Cos they are hefty books! You wouldn't have much room to pack anything else!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Spoilers so don't read unless you've read book.
    Time became a lot looser in the books. The closer they got to Tower, time became less defined. In Calla he referenced a thousand years searching for Tower. There's also a point where he ended up sleeping for a decade. So centuries is definitely in line with book.
    I'm a book skeptical of film overall but I'm cautiously hopeful.

Unfortunately rumblings from the film set aren't painting a pretty picture.

I have low expectations only so that I can be any more disappointed than I'm expecting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I hope you have a kindle!! Cos they are hefty books! You wouldn't have much room to pack anything else!

Ah I wouldn't buy all of them, will grab the first 3.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I dont buy that tbh.

Tarantino for one gets away with it.

Tarantino gets away with it because he has razor sharp dialogue. Somehow I don't think the dark tower is going to match.

I hope to be surprised but I can't help wishing this was a made a HBO mini series. I feel it would have served the story better.

Advertisement