Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

They managed it in Forest Gump and that was 20 odd years ago so something like that wouldn't be of any concern.

weemcd is right though, people are far more sensitive these days and a black woman, who speaks in the worst stereotypical way (as Eddie even points out) and needs to be helped by three 'honkeys' mightn't translate well onto screen. It's not until the emergence of
    Susannah, in The Wastelands I believe, that we see her as strong, independent and vital to the story.
    . Up until then she's a pretty nasty character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Interesting choice of Idris Elba.

In my head he was always Clint Eastwood or Daniel Craig.

Idris Elba doesn't work for me at all.

Clint in his youth alright. Daniel Craig, bit too Nordic looking and not long and thin enough.

Andrew Lincoln? He has the right physique and overall colouring.

Matthew McConaghy totally works as the man in black.

Who could be Cort? Ooh.... Michael Rooker?

Halle Berry would be perfect as Detta/Odetta, good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

GerB40 wrote: »
    weemcd is right though, people are far more sensitive these days and a black woman, who speaks in the worst stereotypical way (as Eddie even points out) and needs to be helped by three 'honkeys' mightn't translate well onto screen. It's not until the emergence of
    Susannah, in The Wastelands I believe, that we see her as strong, independent and vital to the story.
    . Up until then she's a pretty nasty character.

He was talking about her lack of legs though?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I think I always had a Keanu Reeves type in mind for the Gunslinger. Idris Elba will be an interesting choice and certainly less ridiculous than Cruise as Reacher.

Haha he was too. Okay don't mind me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I was initially thinking that her basically being carried about in a sack on Eddie's back could easily cause controversy with people in regards to disabled characters and how they are portrayed on film/TV.

But a fair point that's been raised is the stereotypical uncooth "blackness" of Odetta when we first meet her, coupled with her early detestable personality, this will almost certainly offend. Because it's 2015 and people love to be offended.

If done right this could be truly incredible though. Think about how The Wizard and the Glass (by far my favourite book of the series) would be on screen if done right. Perhaps it will be a spinoff series or a standalone film?

Has Matthew McConaughey ever played a real villain before? He could be mesmerising as the Man in Black.

It could be absolutely awful btw. There's so much to cover. I remember reading the books and thinking certain parts would never translate well to the screen. Though offhand I can't think of that many to post.

If done like Game of Thrones with a massive budget they might manage it. Anything less and I would be sceptical they could pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

weemcd wrote:
    It could be absolutely awful btw. There's so much to cover. I remember reading the books and thinking certain parts would never translate well to the screen. Though offhand I can't think of that many to post.

People said the same thing about Lord of the Rings, though.

in the hands of a production team who *really* love and respect the books (as the Wingnut people did with Tolkien), this could be amazing. I'd also like to see King as an Executive Producer, as JK Rowling was on the Potter films.

I love the idea of McCoughnehey as Walter. He's the perfect mix of deadpan and crazed - Killer Joe, anyone?

Not sure who I'd like to see as Roland; everyone has their own, very personal vision of him. Viggo Mortenson? Nikolaj Walder-Costau? Definitely not Elba, though. I love him but he's just too big, too vital, too *there* to be Roland, for me.

Detta/Odetta/Susannah? Not sure. Halle Berry could totally do it but might be too well-known for people to take the leap of faith necessary to accept the character. Lupita N'yongo, maybe? I'd actually love to see her take on a character with as many teeth as Detta.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not sure who I'd like to see as Roland; everyone has their own, very personal vision of him. Viggo Mortenson? Nikolaj Walder-Costau?

This might work for me too.

Who for Eddie?

This might work for me too.

Who for Eddie?

Norman Reedus?

Norman Reedus?

I do think he would be good, but I see Eddie as much younger than that.

Maybe the young guy from the Twilight films? Robert Pattinson - Im not hugely familiar with his work though so dunno if he could carry Eddie. But thats more the age group Id see him as.

• Advertisement

I do think he would be good, but I see Eddie as much younger than that.

Maybe the young guy from the Twilight films? Robert Pattinson - Im not hugely familiar with his work though so dunno if he could carry Eddie. But thats more the age group Id see him as.

Didn't realise that Reedus was well into his 40s so he is too old alright.

As for the other, errr, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Cort for me in my mind is Brendan Gleason.

As for Eddie, I haven't a clue.

Didn't realise that Reedus was well into his 40s so he is too old alright.

As for the other, errr, no thanks.

lol - well someone young then.

A bit old but James McAvoy has a good energy for it too. I could see him as a junkie with steel in him.

What about Richard Madden? Not goofy enough maybe.....

I (personally) see Eddie as a bit gobsh1tey initially. Ooooh....Alfie Allen? (I do watch other shows than GoT and TWD - I promise!).

Actually, Colin Farrell could have been Eddie - too old now though.

Cort for me in my mind is Brendan Gleason.

As for Eddie, I haven't a clue.

Yes, Brendan Gleeson would work for Cort alright. Although in my minds eye I see him as shorter in stature than Brendan Gleeson.

Actually - Gleesons son Domhnall might be an Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

He would hardly do it, but Liam Neeson would be some Roland Deschain

a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-liam-neeson1.jpg

Daniel Day also, but I doubt we would see either.

weemcd wrote: »
    He would hardly do it, but Liam Neeson would be some Roland Deschain

10 years ago yes. Not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I (personally) see Eddie as a bit gobsh1tey initially. Ooooh....Alfie Allen? (I do watch other shows than GoT and TWD - I promise!).

Oh God, please no! He's an absolutely appalling actor and ugly as sin to boot. Eddie is supposed to be quite a looker once he gets clean, let's not forget.
    Actually, Colin Farrell could have been Eddie - too old now though.

Yeah, you're right there, he would have been excellent.

Eddie's a very difficult one, actually. I'm struggling to think of anyone off the top of my head.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Oh God, please no! He's an absolutely appalling actor and ugly as sin to boot. Eddie is supposed to be quite a looker once he gets clean, let's not forget.

Yeah, you're right there, he would have been excellent.

Eddie's a very difficult one, actually. I'm struggling to think of anyone off the top of my head.

Aaron Paul would be ideal in my opinion..

Probably too old now but maybe Sawyer from Lost for Eddie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Nat Zang is perfect for Eddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

At the risk of stealing the cast of 3.10 to Yuma, I'd like to see Christian Bale as Roland (as suggested by more than one poster here) and Ben Foster as Eddie.

Bale:
    614277-christian-bale-.jpg

Ben Foster:
    charlie-prince.jpg

I could get behind Bale as Roland.

What about Hayden Christensen as Eddie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

What about Hayden Christensen as Eddie?

Not for me. Poor actor.

If this is done it needs to be something along the lines of GoT or TWD. A once off movie would be a disaster for any fans of the books. A trilogy movie could maybe work if it had all the right elements in place.

Its so vast it needs a TV series. Tough to get well known movie names to sign up to that. I'd be happy with well cast complete strangers in a series per book scenario with each series getting longer as the books got bigger.

As a huge King fan even before the Dark Tower I never actually finished it. Loved it mostly, especially Wizards and Glass, but stalled a third of the way through the last book and never read the rest so I have no idea if Roland reached his tower or not. I've avoided spoilers and hope to finish it someday.

It jumped the shark for me when....dunno how to post spoilers.....a certain character turned up......

Also need a cast for a young Roland et al.

Very tricky to cast Rolands early love story.

Agree it would work far better as a show rather than a movie. So easy to muck it up though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

weemcd wrote:
    Has Matthew McConaughey ever played a real villain before? He could be mesmerising as the Man in Black.

Killer Joe. He was fantastic in it. I used to despise McConaughey but he has really proved himself in recent years. Great choice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The plots of the last 3 books would need to be significantly reworked. the metafiction thing tends to be a recipe for disaster as it was to an extent in the Dark Tower. The Wolves of Calla could be entirely omitted, it's just boring and the first 100 pages are: "our heroes walked through miles of nothing, nothing was happening because the plot hadn't started yet but here's some stuff about the number 19!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've always said Karl Urban would make a great Roland.

0ixXBl2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Idris Elba has been cast as Roland apparently.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/idris-elba-confirmed-to-play-the-dark-tower-hero-roland-deschain/

Haven't read a book in ages but I keep meaning to pick up this series before the movies come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Average actor and I don't remember Roland being black.

Really confused as to why they chose to change the color of his skin for the movie.

Advertisement