Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should parents be held accountable for the crimes of their children?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

If so or if not why?
    I am writing a speech for a debating society junior member as an example and am looking for some ideas =] thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

If so or if not why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

OP, try to contribute a little more before you request others do the same ;) It's a little rude.

If so or if not why?
    I am writing a speech for a debate and am looking for some ideas =] thanks

Makes a bit more sense now;) My answer originally was in fact counter to your question i.e.:

Should children be held accountable for the crimes of their parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

In a lot of cases, yes, I think they should.

I don't think it would make any difference tho. Parents tend to be fairly convinced that they are doing it pretty much perfectly until their little darling ends up in jail or completely messed up. By then it's too late for the kid and retrospective punishment for lax parenting would have little effect on the next generation who also think they have it down to a tee...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Double post OP ;)
    Too lazy to repeat myself so heres my 2c
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055899261

• Advertisement

Two different hierarchies are in place:

1Democracy. A constitutional document for guidance written in stone.
    1a: The Government: Voted in by the the people, (public).
    2a: The Police: enforces the will of the Government.(with public back up).
    3a: The public: controlled by the will of the majority of people.
    4a: The criminal: A person who breaks the rights of others based on the pre-written document i.e. the constitution.
    5a: The member of society: He/She just gets it and gets on with it. And generaly enjoys a relitively fulfilling life.

In contrast so to speak:

2Parenting. No constitution to speak of.
    1b: The parent: Has kids by design, or not, they just happen.
    3b: The parent: Enforces the will of the parent (with little to know back up).
    3b: The child: An individual, controlled by the parent to a point. But tends to rebel a lot to test boundaries again and again and again. (a natural process).
    4b: The criminal: An individual who was once a child but is now an adult with responsibilities that were learned from the parents or from other influences.
    5b: The ****ep up child who goes on to become a criminal and antisocial etc.

That is v.simple and basic in my view. It is far more complicated because to many variables do occur. Mental illness, drug abuse, peer pressure, personal circumstances etc etc etc.

This is a v.complicated question really. The above is my attempt at doing something towards putting some kind of answer for the OP. personally the more I think about it the more I want to write with links to evidence etc. The more I think about this the more I want to say. This just leads to more questions. So before my head explodes I will leave it at that.

I'm not going to write the OPs' thesis for them, I hope the above is enough as an answer!

Ps I think the OP is limiting the question by asking just about parents being the problem. Cue the reason why I asked the OP to consider whether the kids are the problem as a counter question.

Investigate both as an argument against each other. Does this investigation as an argument lead the investigator to ask deeper questions about the way society works?

Do some work in this area OP and delve deep into social issues. If you stay up late and work at it hard then you will really have a good array of verbal weapons at your disposal in any debate, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well, I think that a parent should be held responsible up to a point. It's the parents job to look out for the child and to raise the child "properly", with regards society and the laws concerning society. Each case would be different too, as each child matures and developes differently. They may undersand what is right and wrong at a different stage in life.

When the child grows up and begins to understand what is right and wrong, and also understands the consequences of their actions, then I do not think the parents should be held responsible. There are some children that know their parents may be held responsible and therefore act wrecklessly and thus getting away with their crimes. There are children who have been tried as adults, I think the court (or whoever) deemed that these children knew what they were doing and that it was wrong.

It's very difficult to hold one person accountable for the actions of another. It's a difficult one OP.

Advertisement