Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were RTE correct to hold off announcing death of Gerry Ryan

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

rovert wrote: »
    Helpful response there.

Not sure what your problem with my answer is?

I was asked the question here and I gave my response here.

I'd have thought that your "Says who?" was a bit less useful a response as it was quite clearly me who said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

who cares, Gerry doesn't give a f****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

*facepalm*

This has nothing or little to do with new vs old media in this instance. RTE would have broken the news sooner if they could contact his family sooner.

Newstalk was able to relay the news. My point is, the next time somebody texts me with news about a person working for X media organisation, should I assume there will be nothing on X media organisation and switch to Y media organisation to find out what's actually happening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Thoie wrote: »
    My example was in the BCC report linked to in my post.

Here's another one.

One report from 2003 and one from 2008, many deaths does RTE report on a year? There are bound to be hardly common practice for RTE is it? Of course mistakes in following their own codes of practice even by the law of averages. Your previous posts make it sound like RTE does it all the time

P.S. Look at the judgement of the 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Stop trolling this section thx, youve been asked alre4ady.

just report any posts you have a problem with rovert, thx.

Newstalk was able to relay the news. My point is, the next time somebody texts me with news about a person working for X media organisation, should I assume there will be nothing on X media organisation and switch to Y media organisation to find out what's actually happening?

Sure read that way:
    I thought it smacked of, 'We'll tell the plebs when we're good and ready...' I'd love to know what journos working within RTE think of it all. Are we living in a world now where the new media breaks news, and the old media wait a respectful few hours before announcing tired old facts as if they've got the exclusive. (Having said all that, I did not get to hear any of the RTE coverage, though I understand that as soon as Ryan's death was announced, the tributes were superb.)

robinph wrote: »
    Not sure what your problem with my answer is?

I was asked the question here and I gave my response here.

I'd have thought that your "Says who?" was a bit less useful a response as it was quite clearly me who said it.

You were talking in absolutes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You were talking in absolutes

I was posting on boards.ie and giving my opinion which is all that any of us are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Absolutely.Think they got it right in terms of tributes as well. Drivetime had a very nice slot on it on Friday.

robinph wrote: »
    I was posting on boards.ie and giving my opinion which is all that any of us are doing.

But it the context you were deeming certion acts as right and wrong. Which in my opinion are somewhat heavy judgements to make.

• Advertisement

But it the context you were deeming certion acts as right and wrong. Which in my opinion are somewhat heavy judgements to make.

if you deem his post on them being wrong as wrong, then you are deeming them right, you know? all anyone can offer is their opinion rovert, including you - you can agree, disagree or ignore, but please don't badger people.

The initial post asked for peoples opinions on a matter, people gave them. I'm failing to see your problem.

My response to the OP's question was both a yes and a no, so I never actually gave the absolute answer your trying to claim I did.

tbh wrote: »
    if you deem his post on them being wrong as wrong, then you are deeming them right, you know? all anyone can offer is their opinion rovert, including you - you can agree, disagree or ignore, but please don't badger people.

I guess you missed the in my opinion part of my post...

All anyone can offer is their opinion is extactly my point if you didnt get it.

Are we really talking about this, seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just because Newstalk broke the news before it was officially confirmed doesn't mean they were right to do so!

Newstalk are no stranger to BCC judgements and i'm sure if a member of Gerry's family complained to them then their complaint would be upheld but tbh I imagine that's the last thing on their minds right now...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thoie wrote: »
    My example was in the BCC report linked to in my post.

Here's another one.

:confused: That example is a complaint that RTÉ reported a family weren't informed of a death when they had been. The death itself had occured years earlier. It's nothing to do with the announcement of someones name soon after death.

Your first example showed RTÉ leaving even more time after other broadcasters had announced a mans name than they did in Gerry Ryans case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Qheratatie

Without question!!! The family asked them to hold off saying anything. If they hadn't it would have been a disgrace!! sometimes being a decent human being is more important than "Breaking the story" This question isn't even debatable in I.M.O!!

Woo, getting bit hot under the collar!! Time for my beauty nap methinks :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Qheratatie

Barname wrote: »
    I think its an example of how 'old' media RTE are.

I think it's an example that RTE are not gutter press.

Qheratatie wrote: »
    I think it's an example that RTE are not gutter press.

Barname seemingly wont accept that.

Barname seemingly wont accept that.

Rovert - final warning. Contribute to the topics, report any posts you have a problem with, and leave other posters to us. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

More opinion on this matter in relation to the spread of the news via Twitter:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2010/05/04/to-tweet-or-not-to-tweet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I believe that RTE were 100% correct in what they did and how they handled the story of Gerry's passing
    It is my understanding that they were asked by the Ryan family not to make an official annoucement until certain family members had been contacted
    It is unfortunate that the rest of the media didn't have the restraint & respect for the family of such a broadcasting legend to keep their mouths shut until the Ryans were ready for the annoucement to be made.

A number of years ago a distant relative of mine who was a serving member of the Gardai was involved in a fatal car crash in the middle of the night and this being before the time of Instant messaging/twitter etc and even before mobiles were prevalent the main way that people in the country learned of such events was through RTE
    I can CLEARLY RECALLL the knock on the door from the local Gardai informing my parents at 6am because RTE wanted to broadcast the news and identify the injured on their 7am bulletin but wouldn't do so until whatever the then equivalent of the Garda Press Office had confirmed that the entire family were aware of the situation
    This was then and is still now responsible journalism and I cannot understand why RTE is being criticised for acting with decency and respect to the family of Gerry Ryan under these circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I believe that RTE were 100% correct in what they did and how they handled the story of Gerry's passing
    It is my understanding that they were asked by the Ryan family not to make an official annoucement until certain family members had been contacted
    It is unfortunate that the rest of the media didn't have the restraint & respect for the family of such a broadcasting legend to keep their mouths shut until the Ryans were ready for the annoucement to be made.

A number of years ago a distant relative of mine who was a serving member of the Gardai was involved in a fatal car crash in the middle of the night and this being before the time of Instant messaging/twitter etc and even before mobiles were prevalent the main way that people in the country learned of such events was through RTE
    I can CLEARLY RECALLL the knock on the door from the local Gardai informing my parents at 6am because RTE wanted to broadcast the news and identify the injured on their 7am bulletin but wouldn't do so until whatever the then equivalent of the Garda Press Office had confirmed that the entire family were aware of the situation
    This was then and is still now responsible journalism and I cannot understand why RTE is being criticised for acting with decency and respect to the family of Gerry Ryan under these circumstances

I love the way Una Mulally did a big piece about how people were breaking the news on Twitter and some how or another completely forgot to mention that she was part of the group. A perfect example of irresponsible journalism.

Advertisement