Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automotive Management & Technology (DT007)

Options
  • 01-05-2010 12:33am

Thinking about doing this course and just wondering what its all about and what people think of it.
    Would it be a better idea to do mechanical engineering?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

drop us a pm, did it, transfered, never looked back, personally its pretty woeful... ya can bounce in transport engineering after but mneh, not very employable course

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

I'm in my final year that course at the moment, If ya think it's all about ripping apart 4age's, think again, there's is 2 hours per week garage practice in the first 2 years which is good craic most of the time. They revamped the course for the year behind me so it includes work expierence for a semester now and more garage practice i think. There's a lot more management in it than i thought there was going to be but but it's dead handy if ya go to the classes. I'm glad i done it anyway. A few guys in my course already have found jobs in dealerships waiting for them as soon as they finish exams.
    DT028 is the level 7/8 course you can transfer into to do your 4th year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

shanebrk wrote: »
    I'm in my final year that course at the moment, If ya think it's all about ripping apart 4age's, think again, there's is 2 hours per week garage practice in the first 2 years which is good craic most of the time. They revamped the course for the year behind me so it includes work expierence for a semester now and more garage practice i think. There's a lot more management in it than i thought there was going to be but but it's dead handy if ya go to the classes. I'm glad i done it anyway. A few guys in my course already have found jobs in dealerships waiting for them as soon as they finish exams.
    DT028 is the level 7/8 course you can transfer into to do your 4th year

i stand corrected, i was a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 the big cheese 01

im currently doin my exams in tht course, bout to finish 2nd year!!:D
    the course is good craic, but it all depends wat ur lookin for.
    you certanly wont be a mechanic afterwards, the course is only about 10 % practical.
    but ther are alot of business and managment classes, fair bit of maths too:(
    if your looking to work in the motor industry in managment or anything that isnt skilled labour, this is the best course available in dublin.

bottom line: if ur into cars and wanna make a carreer outta it than u could do alot worse than doing this course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I'm starting this course in September. I'm a qualified mechanic and was made redundant. Was working for the garage for six years.:(

Made a phone call to DIT about what options I had and they recommended this course as a mature student. (23)

I get to skip the 1st year so i will be going into the 2nd year. I only have Junior Cert Maths so this is really bothering me.

Is there really a lot of hard, complicated maths involved?

• Advertisement

Sitec wrote: »
    I'm starting this course in September. I'm a qualified mechanic and was made redundant. Was working for the garage for six years.:(

Made a phone call to DIT about what options I had and they recommended this course as a mature student. (23)

I get to skip the 1st year so i will be going into the 2nd year. I only have Junior Cert Maths so this is really bothering me.

admittingly i did do leaving cert maths(ordinary) and the 1st year of that course. but i have always had trouble with maths, definitly isnt a strong subject of mine. so i feel i can give u a good insight

they do hold your hand all the way through 1st year regarding maths, it was basiclly junior cert level.
    but 2nd year was a bit thougher. the only thing ive failed so far in the course was maths. but i would honestly put tht down to me not attending a couple of lectures.

ther is some complicated maths invloved, spread between the maths and science(pyhics & appield maths based) classes. but there isnt alot of it. those clases are only a portion of the classes u'll be doing.

dit bolton street does have a free maths learning centre located on campus. basiclly free grinds!:D

the course is more business orientated than maths

hope this was helpful:D

admittingly i did do leaving cert maths(ordinary) and the 1st year of that course. but i have always had trouble with maths, definitly isnt a strong subject of mine. so i feel i can give u a good insight

they do hold your hand all the way through 1st year regarding maths, it was basiclly junior cert level.
    but 2nd year was a bit thougher. the only thing ive failed so far in the course was maths. but i would honestly put tht down to me not attending a couple of lectures.

ther is some complicated maths invloved, spread between the maths and science(pyhics & appield maths based) classes. but there isnt alot of it. those clases are only a portion of the classes u'll be doing.

dit bolton street does have a free maths learning centre located on campus. basiclly free grinds!:D

the course is more business orientated than maths

hope this was helpful:D
    Cheers for that, if there's free grinds I may go to a few of them the last time I did maths was in 2003:pac:!

Can I ask you one more question?

What books are used in course?

I was thinking of buying them soon and having a look over them during the summer..

Thanks again for the advice, the course sounds right up my alley!

well ther arent any books we actually use in class(kinda strange i know). we are always given handouts/notes.
    ther are however suggested books that are relevent to the course, but really ive never heard of anyone in the course actually reading them unless they were researching an assignment.

if u were a mechanic, than belive me u will be absolutly fine in all practical and technology based subjects in the course.

gotta remember its an ordinary deggree(until ur in 4th year)
    as long as u attend and dont miss loads ur gonna get through it without too much difficulty:D

well ther arent any books we actually use in class(kinda strange i know). we are always given handouts/notes.
    ther are however suggested books that are relevent to the course, but really ive never heard of anyone in the course actually reading them unless they were researching an assignment.

if u were a mechanic, than belive me u will be absolutly fine in all practical and technology based subjects in the course.

gotta remember its an ordinary deggree(until ur in 4th year)
    as long as u attend and dont miss loads ur gonna get through it without too much difficulty:D
    That's what I like to hear, nice one for the info. Put my mind at ease!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

As said before the Maths subjects aren't too difficult if you get to the lectures. i got a D1 in the leaving for Maths and some of my best reults were in the maths subjects in 007. A lot of the lecturers explain it clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

Sitec wrote: »

I'm starting in September, i'm also a mature student (32) and have been in the motor trade for 16 years.

I'm a bit worried about the maths side of the course as it's been a good while since I have done any maths.

Would also like to know what books have been recomended to the course.

Thanks

Paul

tbh i dont know wat the recomended reading material is for maths, to my knowledge ther wasnt any. as i said in a previous post, if u are worried about maths, there is a free maths learning centre on campus.

sorry cudnt be more helpful

Did anybody get a letter of a place on this course yet??

scooters wrote: »
    Did anybody get a letter of a place on this course yet??
    I emailed DIT last week. They should be out this week i was told.

ye i got one yesterday, its just all my grades so far and an aplication to repeat

I still never recieved anything yet???

I still didn't get anything either, I e-mailed the mature student office and they said they have not recived any paperwork for me from the course head...:confused:

I still didn't get anything either, I e-mailed the mature student office and they said they have not recived any paperwork for me from the course head...:confused:
    Im not sure whats going on at the moment, i want to sort out a house and the grant etc.

Taking the piss to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

All sounds about right! Welcome to DIT:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Just got my letter today:D

Roll on September

Just got my letter today:D

Roll on September
    I did meself! does anyone know what awarding body this course is??

E.g HETAC, FETAC etc?...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

do ya think it would be too late to apply for this? i did my leaving cert last year and went on to do a year at civil engineering but hated that. just found out about this course from my friend last night. i know the cao offers are out tomorrow. does this course be full up every year? theres 50 odd places as far as im aware. do ya think i should go ahead and fill out the form. or should i ring in tommoro?

basically what i want to know is..am i f*cked this year?:(

Anybody going to the maths camp?

Yah im going to the maths thing alright, have not done maths since the Jr.Cert, should be funny stuff!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Twincam93 wrote: »
    Thinking about doing this course and just wondering what its all about and what people think of it.
    Would it be a better idea to do mechanical engineering?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

gonna go into 2nd year now...its ok...though its alot more book work than practical (one practical per week)...you wont qualify as a mechanic either (just saying as there was 86 lads in my year last year) which half of them thought it was a mechanical course in fixing cars

Does anyone have the time table for this course in 2nd year?

I have looked for it but can't find any info on this, last I heard it was about 16hrs per week.

I have looked for it but can't find any info on this, last I heard it was about 16hrs per week.
    Is that all? Yah I cant find it anywhere either, would like to know because i think im going to travel each day from Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Advertisement