Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentified large orange ball on Horizon Bull Island around midnight

Options
  • 01-05-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

So i was travelling home tonight from town and noticed a large red ball come onto the Horizon around Bull Island. At first i thought it was the moon, really low on the horizon, but it was really big. Then as i moved closer to Howth it looked like it was moving pretty fast and became kind of flutterry?

It does sound like i am mad but the thing was travelling towards Howth by the looks of it, took no pictures or anything. Disappointed by that. And no i have not been drinking.

Anyone notice this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Chinese Lantern perhaps?.

Any idea on size?.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The sun ;)

or a hot air balloon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

DubMedic wrote: »
    Chinese Lantern perhaps?.

Any idea on size?.

them things are fcuking hilarious setting them off at night :D if people looking at them have not got a clue what the hell they are or even such a thing existed must get few a them and set them off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Chines lantern are the cause of MOST UFO reports in the Cork, Middleton, Macroom areas.

Was driving along one night recently and saw people starring up at the sky, yup a big orange globe, fluttering and it looked like bright navigation lights, but it was not a plane.

I stopped and misses it with my binoculars, my camera only had wide angle lens so useless. Next another seemingly came over the horizon, fear mounted and crowds began to gather, as this one passed I clearly saw it in my trusty glass, yes a Chinese lantern three of them set off one after the other with a timed interval so they appeared like a convoy of UFOs ...

I had several people around me and I assured them of what was in the sky, it is amazing to see the fear and anxiety that these things cause when first experienced, out of the blue with no new year or any major festival where fireworks or balloons could have been launched.

I'm totally convinced that some people set these off deliberately to cause a stir. The great Ballincollig UFO sightings that made national radio only two months ago ~ all Chinese lanterns.

Mad things actually, I must get some before the government ban them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

was it a flare? did you phone the rescue boat:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

My dad bought 100 chinese lanterns and we've been setting them off the last few weeks. It was probably them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

My dad bought 100 chinese lanterns and we've been setting them off the last few weeks. I was probably them :pac:

Hope you're having a great laugh with them.

Yeah they're good, crazy how simple they are, just some crepe paper and a firelighter basically and it goes up until you can't see it anymore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Where'd you get them? they're very cool!

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Where'd you get them? they're very cool!

He ordered them from China to sell, none of us really knows why, he's going senile or something. I think it was 100 euro for 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Some of the 2 euro shops sell them too. Saw one go by a few evenings ago, they're very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My dad bought 100 chinese lanterns and we've been setting them off the last few weeks. It was probably them :pac:

Reported to the Gardai for littering :p

Advertisement