Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My perfect DSLR, is this available?

• 01-05-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm fairly familiar with the Canon and Nikon ranges of DSLR's in the semi-pro / pro range. But what I would be after is really quite simple

1. Articulated LCD/VGA screen
    2. Full size sensor
    3. 100% view finder
    4. Under 2k

Is this available in any make? If I were to make a purchase ever, I would not want to compromise on any point except maybe 4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm not too sure about Canon but the closest Nikon to meet your requirements would be the Nikon D700 which is probably cheaper in places like Gunns Cameras in Wexford Street in Dublin. I shoot with a D3 which is the bigger brother (and slightly older) version. Same sensor just no battery grip built in on the D700 and not as many fps on the D700 body.

The D700 in my opinion is a slightly nicer camera to use than the D3 but its negligable.

I know it doesn't have the articulated screen but I really don't think any full frame (which are pretty much pro range with any brand) have articulated screens....yet. 100% viewfinder and full size sensor and pro territory and afaik there aint no articulated screens on pro bodies.

The D700 in my quick search fits your bill the best I think. Please feel to correct me if I'm off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

pete4130 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about Canon but the closest Nikon to meet your requirements would be the Nikon D700 which is probably cheaper in places like Gunns Cameras in Wexford Street in Dublin. I shoot with a D3 which is the bigger brother (and slightly older) version. Same sensor just no battery grip built in on the D700 and not as many fps on the D700 body.

The D700 in my opinion is a slightly nicer camera to use than the D3 but its negligable.

I know it doesn't have the articulated screen but I really don't think any full frame (which are pretty much pro range with any brand) have articulated screens....yet. 100% viewfinder and full size sensor and pro territory and afaik there aint no articulated screens on pro bodies.

The D700 in my quick search fits your bill the best I think. Please feel to correct me if I'm off the mark.

Thanks pete,

yea I had looked at that camera (D700) alright but no articulated screen. I guess I'll have to wait.

Could it be that market perception is that pro's snub the idea of an articulated screen and therefore no manufacturer will risk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dnme wrote: »
    Thanks pete,

yea I had looked at that camera (D700) alright but no articulated screen. I guess I'll have to wait.

Could it be that market perception is that pro's snub the idea of an articulated screen and therefore no manufacturer will risk it?

It's probably 50% that, but pro cameras generally have considerably better build qualities than the consumer models. It'd be pretty difficult to build a really robust articulated screen, it'd be a major point of weakness on a pro camera that endures a lot more usage than it's consumer counterpart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

dnme wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm fairly familiar with the Canon and Nikon ranges of DSLR's in the semi-pro / pro range. But what I would be after is really quite simple

1. Articulated LCD/VGA screen
    2. Full size sensor
    3. 100% view finder
    4. Under 2k

Is this available in any make? If I were to make a purchase ever, I would not want to compromise on any point except maybe 4.

For points 1, 3 and 4 you could get the Olympus E3 or E30

For points 1, 2, and 4 you could get a Sony A850

You can't have all 4 though!

Advertisement