Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Physics?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone just wondering has anyone done is is anyone doing his physics course in UL im thinking about starting it in sept and im just looking for some info on it, is it a very difficult course? ( I did pass maths for the leaving but did quite well at honours physics), what are the hours like for labs/tutorials/lectures? any other info would be a great help thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

7 7 7 wrote: »
    Hi everyone just wondering has anyone done is is anyone doing his physics course in UL im thinking about starting it in sept and im just looking for some info on it, is it a very difficult course? ( I did pass maths for the leaving but did quite well at honours physics), what are the hours like for labs/tutorials/lectures? any other info would be a great help thanks!

Hey, I am a second year in applied physics at the moment. I absolutely love the course, and if you have an interest in physics then you will too.

The maths is not too hard, the first year is basically leaving cert honors so you might struggle with it but there is a fantastic maths learning centre that give free 1 to 1 tutoring for people struggling with maths. The maths used on the physics side is pretty basic until 4th semester, lots of trig and algebra.

We do have a lot of hours a week, at least 35 a week but the labs are alright and not every lecture is vital to attend(tho some are). Generally have 6 hours of tutorials a week that will get you through the exams, and then any physics or chemistry module that can have a lab will. (Quantum Mechanics & Space and Time dont for obvious reasons)

Anyone I know that has done the course has come out of it happy, last year 50% went into physics postgrads, 40% went straight into work in industry and 2 guys are doing something in the financial industry.

If you have an interest in physics then you'll love the course, and it doesnt get too hard until second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Hi 777,

Got to agree. I'm in third year now. Best 3years of my life. I always liked physics and this course is perfect. 1st year is grand, just leaving cert, second year is by far the hardest. But overall if you like physics this is the course for you.
    Hours are not too bad, same as all other science and engineering courses timewise with lectures, labs and tutorials. I have to say all the lecturers are very enthusiastic and do a better job at making physics fun than most leaving cert teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 7 7 7

Hi lads, thanks for the replies. If ye dont mind I just have two more questions were ye always good at maths? as in doing honours for the leaving and stuff or is it something ye got better with because of the course? also how hard do ye have to work to get on well in this course(as in does it eat into your social life)? thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

7 7 7 wrote: »
    Hi lads, thanks for the replies. If ye dont mind I just have two more questions were ye always good at maths? as in doing honours for the leaving and stuff or is it something ye got better with because of the course? also how hard do ye have to work to get on well in this course(as in does it eat into your social life)? thanks again!

I was always good at maths and so far I have breezed through the maths modules but there are 4 in my year who only did pass maths for the leaving and have gotten on fine so far.

You don't really have to work that much in first year and unless your going for a 1.1 degree it wont impinge on your social life. But I will however remind you that you go to college to learn not to just go out. There is a culture of no interest in the academic side in UL and Joe Meehan will point this out to you a lot in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

entropic wrote: »
    Joe Meehan will point this out to you a lot in first year.

I'll never forget my first lecture with Joe. He showed us newspaper clippings on his beloved acetates about Katie French and houses that had been broken into by students. Told a friend of mine who's in the first year of her masters and she told me he used have them on his office door hahahahahahahaha

Four words lads......... My Dog Says Woof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

777, are you coming to college to learn or party? If party your choice of course does not matter, you can scrape a pass in 1st year in most courses in UL.

Otherwise, yes I have always been good at maths and physics. If you are good in leaving cert you will have to do minimal work in 1st year and still do quite well. Though if maths is not your strong point but you like physics its just a small bit of extra work... Go to lectures and tutorials and you will have no great difficulty. Anyone in our course who has put in the effort has done well.

Advertisement