Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Amadeus Allstars Alumni

• 01-05-2010 6:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hey everyone

Okay so just a thought here. I wonder how many of the former Allstars are thinking about doing an autumn marathon again this year? I definitely am, even though it'll actually be a spring marathon for me now here in the Southern Hemisphere, weird...

So! Was thinking that maybe we could have our own thread here? Of course, also welcome to anyone who wasn't an Allstar either :) I imagine I'm not the only one who's thinking of following the Hal Highdon Intermediate Plan, but who's simultaneously a bit daunted by the increased mileage from the Novice Plan. It'd be great if we could get a support crew going on in here for Marathon: the Sequel - they're back, and this time with Bodyglide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I'd be on for it again definitely. I was only thinking the same thing myself yesterday. From my calcUlations, the week beginning the 22nd May is 18 weeks out from DCM. I might start training for it then anyway and see how I go, I wouldn't be too confident at this stage that I'd be able for the mileage but I'll just take each day as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I wasn't an Allstar but followed the log and found it brilliant. DCM 09 was my first marathon and hoping to do DCM 2010 as my second so would definitely be happy to get in with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would be happy to get in on this :) I'm registered for Dublin, and trying to decide which plan to follow (looking at either Higdon intermediate plans or the Runner's World UK intermediate plan). 18 week plans actually start in the third week in June, so still a good bit of time to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Ive read pretty much all of last years thread and its really helpful. I think it would be a huge help to all of us newbies if there was another one this year.

And its a way of getting out all running related ramblings without driving non running friends insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh thank God!! I was watching the old allstars thread being resurrected with such jealousy as we couldnt be part of it. I was trying to imagine what it would be like to train for Dublin this year without the support of the Allstars like last year.

Excellent idea, count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I will probably give dublin another lash again this year, going to follow my own plan based on Tergat's advice and what other successful marathoners like Misty Floyd and Krusty Clown have been using. I really need to prepare properly as I really don't want to hit that dreaded wall again, unlike some of you (girls especially :mad:) I am not naturally built for endurance, so I will be needing lots of miles and loads of long runs. Agghhhh the 5% of me saying no is wondering if I am ready for such a big training commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

/poke, just started the novices thread - feel free to chip in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Just seen this now - cracking idea! You're all beyond needing my help now but I'll be watching with interest :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I loved the thread last year, very motivational! Undecided on this year still, but like last year Ill follow the training and see how goes it. Is this the novice thread or is there another one somewhere?

I'm thinking of following Hal Higdons Intermediate1 plan too. Im a bit scared of the 6 days training though and the increase in milage, but think the novice one wont bring me on enough for my second marathon. Do ye think its ok to maybe mix and match the novice II plan and the intermetiate I to suit myself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I tend to always adopt a plan that is slightly too high in mileage because I know from past experience that I always end up skipping a session for reason I can't escape, or having to cut runs short. Having a higher mileage schedule means that if I do miss a session I still hit my mileage targets. If I do manage to get all the sessions in then it's a bonus. Might not work for everyone but it does for me!

On that basis I'd be going for the Inter plan with - as you say - the option to swap in / out sessions from the Novice plan if you are caught for time or getting tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Okay well I can be the guinea pig for the rest of you...I'm going to follow the Hal Higdon Intermediate plan, starting tomorrow morning:eek:. The Moro Marathon is 12 September....

Goal: I suppose it's important to identify a goal ahead of something like this. So! I ran the DCM in 4:19:42 last October, which I was delighted with. Indeed, my aim this time around is to similarly finish under 4:20. I am just not a speedy runner nor will I ever be, so once I can maintain 10 minute miles for the marathon again I'll be happy as Larry. I LOVED doing the long runs though so for me it's as much about the training schedule as the day itself.

So Im curious to know what everyone is doing at the moment in the run up to the start of their marathon training (and you too earnyourturns). Maybe we could start a table like the other groups have?

Advertisement