Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 to 50k

Options
  • 01-05-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Starting Bank €500
    Aim to reach 50k!
    1pt= €1eur
    Max 10% of bank staked on any one day.
    Always take prices!

Todays Selections

Dalradian 1.55 Newmarket - 5Pts EW - Stable in great form and this guy has dropped in the weights since his last win.

3.05 Newmarket- Dick Turpin 5pts EW- I was impressed with him last time out and think he can only improve although if the favourite is as good as they say he should win.

3.40- Equaino 10pts win- he will do for me as he is a real speedster and 5f will be perfect for him

4.15 Newmarket - Racy 10pts win- This looks to me a stoute good thing.

3.30 thirsk - 5pts EW Glenridding - his pipe opener will have done him the world of good. Expect a big run.

Good luck on today the first day of the challange

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Good luck man. :)

Lets hope you're not betting with Paddy's though because I'd say they'll suspend your account before you hit €5000 :D

Doocey.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

Bank 560 after the first day. Good winner at 8/1 and a second at 16/1 having taken 25/1. Money for all the rest of my tips that ran below expectations after having availed of the fancy prices!

All transactions should be via Betfair as other bookies would close winning accounts. If you do them in the shops you have less chance of being closed.

Looked at today's racing and fancied the winner of the 1000 Guineas big time but could not post as was away traveling. Big return at 9/2 but that is after timing, remember reading Roy Brindley's blog and he though it would start shorter than 7/2 before the defeat in France. Well done Roy good selection and you are on form this year with the horses.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-blogs/11-brindley-on-betting/entries/37082-on-special-duty-at-newmarket

Anyhow the quest to reach the 50 k shall continue and I look forward to people joining me with selecting winners.

Week 1 Profit of 60 which is 12% to date. My selections do make money and as I dislike bookies I am happy to share my knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

Amigomenor wrote: »
    as I dislike bookies

How come you dislike bookies so much? You've said this a few times now...

Reason being is that 99% of people lose consistently in there and then if there is 1% who make money and they have their accounts closed.
    They continually try and lure those who know no better back to them. If you look at all small towns around Ireland they have shops/butchers etc closing at a rapid rate yet they might have 3-4 bookies.
    They pay their staff crap and work them for long hours and all the big boys get the massive bonuses etc. If you look at Paddy Power they have a massive market capitalization and are the Tesco's of the betting world, when they take over what choice will you have who to bet with.
    A vast majority of bookies business nowadays is online and thus in secret by most people, bookies close the winning accounts but never close the consistently losing accounts and are happy to take as much as possible, in the case of Paddy Powers they do not even have the option to close an account on their "responsible account" only to reduce to 10euro, this should be amended but wont.
    Finally what do the bookies contribute to the man on the street. Paddy powers say they want people to treat it as a hobby and enjoy a 10e spend etc, if they did that the complany would go out of business as it would be making sufficient profits.
    Bookies dont add anything, they entice people in with clever advertising and in todays day and age when people are out of work they provide nice relaxing sociable areas for people to meet, but all this comes at a cost.

My aim is to help the mug punter and provide them with an opportunity to win. If I cant do this i will stop posting. Now going to look at the Curragh tomorrow, winners dont find themselves!

4.45 Curragh Champion Boy
    30c Limerick Born High
    4.30 Limerick Frosty Night
    2.55 Windsor Ramona Chase
    3.20 Beverly Mannclichen
    4.20 Beverly Alsuffooh

20 x 1 ew trebles , 1 ew acc . Stake 42 units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

great call for ramona chase, nice ew price:) didnt see the race but from reading the race review sounds like he wasnt too far away??

Bank now stands at €518. Though that it would be a bit higher than that after a good start to the day.

Hope a few of you had Ramona Chase, he was my nap today and posted it on Pyro's site also as he has more traffic. Never really looked like winning but ran a good race.

If you can avail of the Betfair odds on singles you should do this as you could have had 10/1 for a place and over 60/1 on the win market.

Anyhow will post selections for tomorrow if anything takes my eye.
    Later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If you can avail of the Betfair odds on singles you should do this as you could have had 10/1 for a place and over 60/1 on the win market.

I've tried plenty of times to back a place on Betfair but, I can never find it. Where should I look or am I being stupid? I'm far too used to PP really, but the Betfair layout isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

just click entering the race you want to bet on as normal,

when your on that races market, just look to the left tab,

there will be a market saying,

"to be placed" press it.... simples

clived2 wrote: »
    just click entering the race you want to bet on as normal,

when your on that races market, just look to the left tab,

there will be a market saying,

"to be placed" press it.... simples

Ah, I see it now...very different to PP. Surely having the option to select each way would be much handier!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Reason being is that 99% of people lose consistently in there and then if there is 1% who make money and they have their accounts closed.
    They continually try and lure those who know no better back to them. If you look at all small towns around Ireland they have shops/butchers etc closing at a rapid rate yet they might have 3-4 bookies.
    They pay their staff crap and work them for long hours and all the big boys get the massive bonuses etc. If you look at Paddy Power they have a massive market capitalization and are the Tesco's of the betting world, when they take over what choice will you have who to bet with.
    A vast majority of bookies business nowadays is online and thus in secret by most people, bookies close the winning accounts but never close the consistently losing accounts and are happy to take as much as possible, in the case of Paddy Powers they do not even have the option to close an account on their "responsible account" only to reduce to 10euro, this should be amended but wont.
    Finally what do the bookies contribute to the man on the street. Paddy powers say they want people to treat it as a hobby and enjoy a 10e spend etc, if they did that the complany would go out of business as it would be making sufficient profits.
    Bookies dont add anything, they entice people in with clever advertising and in todays day and age when people are out of work they provide nice relaxing sociable areas for people to meet, but all this comes at a cost.

My aim is to help the mug punter and provide them with an opportunity to win. If I cant do this i will stop posting. Now going to look at the Curragh tomorrow, winners dont find themselves!

Your attitude is morally correct but if you consider the betting office as a place you disagree with, would you not be content in placing bets when you had an edge on them? For example when they are overpriced on a selection and or have a decent special on?

A total shut out is overlooking potential profit loss, is it not?

(I don't disagree with you, it's good to set standards when gambling. But I think you may miss out from time to time).

Good luck with the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

jasonorr wrote: »
    Ah, I see it now...very different to PP. Surely having the option to select each way would be much handier!

It's not.

Don't want to hijack the thread but betting on places on betfair does have added advantages, the main one being the price and the amount of places you can bet. N/R's etc.

I have hijacked the thread slightly so apologies. Perhaps this can be taken up in the gambling section on a thread.

In_tuition wrote: »
    It's not.

Don't want to hijack the thread but betting on places on betfair does have added advantages, the main one being the price and the amount of places you can bet. N/R's etc.

I have hijacked the thread slightly so apologies. Perhaps this can be taken up in the gambling section on a thread.

So the place prices aren't directly related as a fraction of the win prices? Betting on places on PP is different then too, as I know you can do that?

In Tuition I fully agree with taking an edge when you have it, read my post re Cheltenham 2010 as that will show you my thinking.

Have to go out now but shall respond in more detail later.

2.40 Newcastle - 5pts EW Starbougg, low in the weights and this is a desperate race. 50/1 looks too big for her.

Starbougg stone cold last @ 100/1 . Bank 508.

My main points re gambling

1. Always take prices on singles in bookies when guaranteed.
    2. Use Betfair on singles when the price is typically better
    3. Avail of all specials that represent value in the bookies, 1/4 odds handicaps, 4 times winner on Lucky 15's, money back yankees when 1 winner 9/4 or more. The likes of the Dunguib special offered by Paddy power earlier this year.
    4 Enjoy and dont overstrectch your self where you lose the enjoyment.
    5. Remember anything can win!

Anyhow follow the above and you should be ok!

Now lets look to tomorrows card.....

2.45 Chester Som Tala 5PTS ew
    3.15 Strike up the band 5pts EW

Bank 488.

10pts Win Stotsfold- winner twice at the course and the highest rated in the race. Did not get a good ride in the winter derby at Lingfield and should at least have been placed. Expect this to be his day on ground he will love.

4.30 Srda 5pt EW- Droping back to handicaps after being outclassed in a Group 3. Prior to that run was an easy winner of his first 2 races, looked inpressive in his second victory. Expect a big run from her off a mark of 86 that could turn out to be lenient.

5Pt EW Double on the above 2 making a total stake of 30.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Bank 488.

10pts Win Stotsfold- winner twice at the course and the highest rated in the race. Did not get a good ride in the winter derby at Lingfield and should at least have been placed. Expect this to be his day on ground he will love.

4.30 Srda 5pt EW- Droping back to handicaps after being outclassed in a Group 3. Prior to that run was an easy winner of his first 2 races, looked inpressive in his second victory. Expect a big run from her off a mark of 86 that could turn out to be lenient.

5Pt EW Double on the above 2 making a total stake of 30.

Good luck!

Just reading your thread for the first time. Good bet on Srda, he ran well today and was basically unlucky in the last 50yrds....beaten by a better horse but nearly ;)

Bank 492, Srda ran well but Stotsfold must have been wrong as the run was too bad to believe,

5pts EW Joseph Henry- well down in the weights and ran well last time out, he will do for me in this race.

4.30 5pts EW Viva Ronaldo - course winner and trainers horses running well. This one look a little big at 20/1.

5PTS ew double again also.

• Advertisement

2.50 Ascot [URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','381408')"]Seradim[/URL]
    3.25 Ascot [URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','378643')"]Rileyskeepingfaith[/URL]
    4.35 Ascot [URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','288746')"]Sweetheart[/URL]
    3.0c Haydock [URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','358195')"]Elzahann (IRE)[/URL]
    3.35 Haydock [URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','452606')"]Toubab (FR)[/URL]
    4.55 Lingfield [URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','451131')"]Be A Devil[/URL]

Suggest 20*€1 ew trebles, 1ew acc. Total stake 42. Expect a very big run from Rileyskeepingfaith, thought he was a good 2 year old who never had much luck in running. think he will go close tomorrow.

Had a 16/1 second today but no winner from the 2, due a few winners soon as i keep hitting the bar!

No joy Saturday , bank 460.

[URL="javascript:showProfile('horse','372958')"]Peter's Gift (IRE)[/URL] 10pts -EW, very well in and should go well from a reasonable draw.

3.40 Newbury Arthurs Edge-looked progressive before his last run, open race that he is well up to winning.
    2.30 Newbury Balkeys Boy -Won well first time out and has talant, on a good mark here and Dunlop horses running well.
    4.15 newbury Catherine's Call - Won last 3, filly in form and top jockey on board.
    3.25 newmarket Swiss Act -poor race and this one is fit and on a good mark.
    3.15 Thirsk No Quarter - Good mark and first run of the season looked good.
    2.20 Bangor Wee Ziggy - Good jockey on board and ran reasonable last time out.

20*1ew trebles , 1ew acc

Today is the day to get back on track. Arthurs Edge is my idea of an ew nap today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Pity you didn't keep 'faith' with Rileyskeepingfaith. 6/1 winner yesterday. I hate when that happens.

Yes Rileyskeepingfaith was disappointing however that is the way racing goes. Thread not going very well at the moment, just stuck in a bit of a losing run.

Did look at a value EW bet €20 to win €10000

Brazil to win World Cup @5/1
    Timepiece Oaks @10/1
    Overdose Kings Stand Stakes @10/1

Brazil are a class act and with a strong defence this year I cant see them being beaten. Argentina will be poor as Maradona has no idea what he is doing. Timepiece in the Oaks purely on the basis of what Henry Cecil compares her to and Overdose as he is a bullet and if he gets to Ascot he will win and win well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Yes Rileyskeepingfaith was disappointing however that is the way racing goes. Thread not going very well at the moment, just stuck in a bit of a losing run.

Did look at a value EW bet €20 to win €10000

Brazil to win World Cup @5/1
    Timepiece Oaks @10/1
    Overdose Kings Stand Stakes @10/1

Brazil are a class act and with a strong defence this year I cant see them being beaten. Argentina will be poor as Maradona has no idea what he is doing. Timepiece in the Oaks purely on the basis of what Henry Cecil compares her to and Overdose as he is a bullet and if he gets to Ascot he will win and win well.

I disagree about Brazil. Maicon and Dani Alves, while attackingly strong, are actually quite poor defenders. Lucio is grand, but people think that he is something he is not because they saw him on RTE doing well against Chelsea and Barcelona. Felipe Melo, one half of their defensive midfield pairing, was voted the worst player in Serie A. Gilberto, the other half, is currently playing with Panathanaikos, which in itself sums up his remaining talent, as he is no longer the player he was.

Dunga is a very good coach, but I see them as a very beatable side

3.40 York Cheveton-not a bad horse on his day, should be better for his first run and Dettori on top.
    1.40 Curragh- Livaelo- good run last time out behind Grand Admiral, this is easier.
    2.10 Curragh Orpailleur - put this one up as an eyecatcher when back in handicaps, this looks like a good opportunity off a good mark
    3.25 Chester Carcinetto- runs this course well and due to go very close.
    3.10 Curragh - Invincible Ash- good rac on ground too soft for him last time out. Expect a good run from this 33/1 shot. Good jockey on board also although he cant use his claim
    3.45 Curragh- Fencing Master is my idea of the winner here. Stable second string but that is not a problem.

Suggestion 20 * 1ew trebles, 1ew acc total stake 42 . Need this otherwise Bank will be down to 350. All placed would work for me, would have prefered 2 additional handicaps to make up the selections however the fields and value was a little scarce.

Sirdelboy I have to disagree with your assessment of the Brazil defence. Maicon in particular is very capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and mine isnt worth any more than yours, so best of luck with it:D

• Advertisement

Bank 350

20*1 ew trebles 1ew acc.

If there is no return after this week I shall alter my selections to try and build the bank back up again. Keep hitting the bar but expect today to be different.

2.0C Haydock Judd Street
    3.0c Haydock Three Moons
    3.30 Mia's Boy
    2.45 One Good Emperor
    3.20 Gene Autry
    3.10 Beverly Summer Dancer

Nap of the day is Judd Street, reckon he has one more good race in him.

Advertisement