Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving networks, need advice

Options
  • 01-05-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I have been on O2 for a loooong time, both as a private and business customer so I have very little knowledge of other networks. I'm considering moving to a different network but as I don't know much about them, I'm not sure which to move to!
    I'm based in Cork and my job takes me over much of the county. I wouldn't be a very heavy user for phone calls but obviously I would need to make calls from whereever I may be, so mobile coverage is important.
    I would be a quite heavy mobile data user, mostly on the phone itself but occasionally with tethering. I'm not interested in mobile broadband.

Meteor's pricing looks attractive but I'm worried about coverage, especially in the wilds of West Cork. The coverage map looks like they could be ok but how accurate is that, really? We all know what it's like to be in an area which is technically covered but you'd be lucky to get one bar of a signal! I can get a 12 month contract with Meteor which is appealing too.

Vodafone seem to have the area covered too and I would seem to have more faith in them, simply because the vast majority of my customers are with them. I'm worried about the data coverage though, as they don't have EDGE when there's no 3G signal, only GSM. I'm very uncertain about having to take an 18 month contract with Vodafone.

I'd imagine there's no point in looking at 3 for business use, right?

So is it Vodafone for better call coverage or Meteor for potentially faster data? Am I wronging Vodafone with their data coverage and/or wronging Meteor with my doubts about the overall signal?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Most of the operators have okay voice coverage now. In terms of voice coverage meteor and o2 are both a little worse than vodafone/three. However all four are usable now most places.

- The same cant be said for data however.
    It looks to me that three have by far the best data coverage especially outside of the main cities (I have both a three(personal) and vodafone(business) mobile)

- Three handsets roam on the Vodafone network for voice - so you are getting the same coverage in terms of voice from both.

If you are planning on traveling abroad - Vodafone have the best roaming. If you are only doing business in Ireland - then Three should be okay.

Vodafone are much more expensive than three in terms of personal plans.
    And offhand I think that Vodafone are pretty expensive in terms of business plans as well. I would be tempted to give Three a call and see what their business plans are like - however the only thing to bear in mind is that if most of your customers are vodafone - then you can get some good unlimited vodafone price plans. (On the other hand three have some nice any network price plans)

Customer support with Vodafone and O2 is better than Meteor and Three. (However Three have an Irish call centre now and are improving).

What I would suggest is that you pick up a prepaid sim from vodafone and three and test both for a week or two.

Advertisement