Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Quinn Offices in Navan?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

With the terrible news of 900 job losses in the Quinn Group, it looks to have a particularly serious effect on the Navan office. it is a fantastice new building, built in very quck time and really gave a boost to a lack lustre Industrial Estate in Johnstown.

Can anyone realistically see that big building being kept open for 87 workers? Unless they rationalised and closed the other offices and brought everything to Navan but I am not sure if the company has the stomach to push something like that through with the wider workforce at the moment.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2010/04/30/3996770-more-than-half-quinns-navan-workforce-face-redundancy

109 of the 196 employees in Navan to be let go

More than half the workforce at Quinn Insurance's Navan offices are to be made redundant over the next 12 months.

The company's joint administrators announced today (Friday) that 109 of the 196 staff employed by Quinn Insurance in Navan will be let go over the next 12 months, with 37 of these being in the first phase.

Redundancies will initially be sought on a voluntary basis with four weeks per year of service being offered in addition to statutory redundancy.

Overall, the adminstrators are looking to cut 900 of the 2,452 jobs across Quinn Insurance's nine locations over the next 12-18 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think the reason they are phasing the redundancies over a period of time is to see how the business performs, and if it performs well they may not need the full amount of redundancies, though it is a bad situation for the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

sofireland wrote: »
    I think the reason they are phasing the redundancies over a period of time is to see how the business performs, and if it performs well they may not need the full amount of redundancies, though it is a bad situation for the people involved.

Do you think they will keep three big offices open between Navan and Dublin? Cannot see it happening especially if they are bought by another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I work there. They say there is no plan to close any office, but I wouldn't bet on it. See how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Its an awful situation for the workers. On one hand I have sympathy for Sean Quinn, (I assume he didnt make all the decisions) but ultimatley he is responsible for the mess.

I just have a question, Would it make a difference if more Irish people took out their insurance with Quinn. I am not with them but would go with them next time and maybe if enough people were to go to Quinn it could save some jobs???? I am with an Irish company and in general we all need to support our own as best we can in these times.
    I think now of Jean Kennedy Smyth when she said on leaving Ireland as U.S ambassador She was "stunned at the lack of outrage in Irish people"

Maybe I have rose tinted glasses but I can only imagine the devestation these proposed job losses will cause to the North East. I also believe a solution can be found as the company are trading fairly well.

Advertisement